Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Would you mod the looks of a Bullitt?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm not a Bullitt owner................yet. My problem is the following. What is more important: looks or performance? Would it be sacrilegious to improve the looks of a Bullitt(IE front and rear fairings)?

I have a dealership nearby that thankfully stocks quite a variety of 'Stangs. They have several '08 Shelby GTs, a couple of GT/CS, their own Mach 1 build and a Bullitt edition. I have driven a Shelby GT, loved the ride but figured the name inflated price wasn't worth it. The GT/CS was a pretty decent driver overall and with mods could be a real mover. While I need to drive the Bullitt the looks are fairly plain (I understand the purpose based behind the orginial movie). Thoughts?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keep it simple.
I've added Roush rear side window louvers (Bullitt needs louvers)and personalized license plate (08BULIT).
Plian to add - front center lower grill inserts - SHR
- locking gas cap
- hood struts - MRT
- GT500 leather handbrake handle

That is all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The thing with the Bullitt is, it's a low profile looking GT that is a tribute to the1968 fastback in the movie... Also, this car is a limited edition- meaning that changing parts excessivly will devalue the collector's aspect of it (only really relevant if you are selling it in 30 years). All that said, I will keep my exterier looking almost exactly as it is stock (I really want to do SHR side louvers at some point), but I do want to swap out some engine parts to increase perfomance.

Basically, I'd say if you are looking for a spoiler, chrome accents, or otherwise "flashy" look- I'd find a cheaper standard GT and do the mods you want. If you like the clean low profile look (or are a really big fan of the movie), get yourself a Bullitt and do what you want to it.

Keep this in mind, if you plan on leaving the car virtually stock, the Bullitt is a great starting point since it has the factory CAI, tuned suspension, tower brace, GT500 seats, 3.73 gearing, and modified H-pipe all stock. If you plan on changing a majority of those parts, start with a regular GT IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrRickso said:
The thing with the Bullitt is, it's a low profile looking GT that is a tribute to the1968 fastback in the movie... Also, this car is a limited edition- meaning that changing parts excessivly will devalue the collector's aspect of it (only really relevant if you are selling it in 30 years). All that said, I will keep my exterier looking almost exactly as it is stock (I really want to do SHR side louvers at some point), but I do want to swap out some engine parts to increase perfomance.

Basically, I'd say if you are looking for a spoiler, chrome accents, or otherwise "flashy" look- I'd find a cheaper standard GT and do the mods you want. If you like the clean low profile look (or are a really big fan of the movie), get yourself a Bullitt and do what you want to it.

Keep this in mind, if you plan on leaving the car virtually stock, the Bullitt is a great starting point since it has the factory CAI, tuned suspension, tower brace, GT500 seats, 3.73 gearing, and modified H-pipe all stock. If you plan on changing a majority of those parts, start with a regular GT IMO.
You make excellent points. I'd love to tuck it away for the future but I want to drive it!! The performance bred into the Bullitt is pretty common stuff to mod a GT with a few exceptions (axle, seats). Would I be shunned if I put the GT/CS front and rear fairings on a Bullitt?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've seen a lot of mods done to Bullitts (both 01's & 08's) that I don't particularly care for- but people like different things and are into these cars for different reasons (some like the movie, some like the perfomance, some like the collectors aspect, some like the color, etc.)

Let's put it this way... a Bullitt purist would not care for you changing the fairings, but a modded Mustang enthusiast might. It's all about what you like anyway, like you said- you do want to drive it- so enjoy it!

If you are on the fence about which model to get, price out what you want to do ahead of time (as much as you can think of) and see what it would cost from purchasing the car through to the final part and labor- and compare the Bullitt to the GT.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
to each his or her own / I'm keepin it stealthy

HeavyAssault said:
You make excellent points. I'd love to tuck it away for the future but I want to drive it!! The performance bred into the Bullitt is pretty common stuff to mod a GT with a few exceptions (axle, seats). Would I be shunned if I put the GT/CS front and rear fairings on a Bullitt?
Welcome to IMBOC! :)

As best I can tell, you won't be shunned here no matter what you do to your Bullitt. We are a group that respects the fact that different people have different needs.

Having said that, those of us who bought our Bullitts because of the Steve McQueen connection (like me) want our Bullitts to retain their stealthy look... while recognizing that improving the performance is possible down the road.

I installed body colored side view mirror covers (bought here) to add a touch of class and am thinking of installing a real wood dash (since McQueen's car had a wood dash). These will maintain my Bullitt's stealthy look. I'm also thinking of installing the MGW shifter I've heard so much about.

Are you a fan of the movie and Steve McQueen? Or are you just looking to buy a great Mustang? That's the difference for me.

Again, welcome to IMBOC! :)

:cool:

Steve

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
If you are buying because it is a "Bullitt" leave it alone. If you are buying because you want a Mustang and like the performance and features of the Bullitt at the price over other Mustang offerings, do as you like to make it your own.
Are you looking at a Black one?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
HeavyAssault said:
Common stuff? To a point.

I don't think though that you could duplicate those parts and the unique parts that are in a Bullitt using a regular GT or even a GT/CS and be even or ahead dollar wise.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am a no mod man by nature. I do think mods look good...if they are tastefully done.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Tasteful is the Key…

Appearance and performance give characteristic to a vehicle which is a distinct reflection of the owner.

I have always performed exterior, interior, and drivetrain modifications on all my vehicles. Most of these modifications have been permanent. However, with the Bullitt my modifications will all be temporary. Meaning, the vehicle can be put back to stock configuration at will.

You see, I like a car that has better than average performance and I like the retro 68 and stealth look of the Bullitt. So, my theme for the car will hold true to that concept.

I installed mods within the first two weeks of having the car and I have a plan where I will continue to mod/upgrade over the next year to enhance the performance and get a little closer to my vision.

For example, I plan on replacing the side mirrors, deleting the Cats, adding louvers and U-trim. All to help me get closer to that theme, yet subtle enough not to detract from the Bullitt styling.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I really like the stealth look of the Bullitt. :)
I think it is so much cooler than the bling look.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have always believed if it is your car do what you want, you should please yourself and not worry about what other people think about your. The Bullitt is another mustang model, and there are many. I see no reason to save it, life is toooooo short to not to enjoy something so simple as a car. If you do mod and others do not like your mods do not worry, enjoy your mods, your car and your life.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here's the heart of the matter. The 2008 Bullitt is a limited edition specialty car that has been designed by Ford to represent a by-gone era...it's a tribute car. The paint, body, performance and sound were designed to fulfill a purpose. To alter that would be like taking a Picasso and painting over it. If you want to mod a mustang to your own liking...fine. But start with a blank canvass (like a regular GT) If most guys here want to be really honest with you (as I'm trying to be) if I saw a Bullitt on the street all tricked out with spoilers, scoops and fins sticking out everywhere I'd be waiting for uncle Festus from the Addams family to hop in and drive it away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL_9zdu4iVw

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I must admit, I'm completely with the Wheelman on this one.

That said, I must admit that I have a secret desire... If I could afford a second Bullitt, I'd make it a Black and mod the living heck out of the mechanicals - but not the body. Blow it, slam it, beef up the suspension, maybe even a few interiot mods, but the sheetmetal and paint would remain completely factory.

Ok, maybe I'm not quite completely with Mike, but close enough...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's your money,Do as you please.Just avoid the too tall ricer wing if at all possible!

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I miss the rumble of the 1960's muscle cars. That is the direction I am going to go. I'm not going to change anything except someday when I can afford it I will buy a set of heads,and cams.
These Bullitts are the best Mustang that ford has made so far !
I put tinted glass in and that will problaly be it tell I can buy my stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Take care of your baby and enjoy the heck out of it.

Any production V8 will pretty soon be a engine and a sound of a bygone era. These are the good ol' days, guys.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Well I say that you get whatever car you think would make you the most happy.
The only appearance mod I'm thinking of doing is the twin vented hood. Ford really should've added that styling cue on the 08 Bullitt.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,285 Posts
Ducktail haircut?

HeavyAssault said:
Okay I'm not a Bullitt owner................yet. My problem is the following. What is more important: looks or performance? Would it be sacrilegious to improve the looks of a Bullitt(IE front and rear fairings)?

I have a dealership nearby that thankfully stocks quite a variety of 'Stangs. They have several '08 Shelby GTs, a couple of GT/CS, their own Mach 1 build and a Bullitt edition. I have driven a Shelby GT, loved the ride but figured the name inflated price wasn't worth it. The GT/CS was a pretty decent driver overall and with mods could be a real mover. While I need to drive the Bullitt the looks are fairly plain (I understand the purpose based behind the orginial movie). Thoughts?

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
I'm going to put on regular wheels with "baby moon" hubcaps, then add fuzzy mirror muffs for a touch of class. My brother is installing "lowering blocks" to make it sit low in the back, and we're fabricating fender skirts as I speak. I found a '57 Buick grille and we've hacksawed it to fit the Bullitt. Looks cool! I'm definitely having my brother break out the camel hair brush and add some custom pin striping, but I haven't decided on the "flame job" yet. One thing, though, I'll have the only '50s nostalgia Bullitt around! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts