Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#570 came out of Canada, and I'm wondering if there is a simple, easy, "non-destructive" way to eliminate or defeat the daytime running light function. My guess is there's a relay of some kind somewhere. I just can't be sneaky enough with the headlights on all the time. And it brings back nightmares of my wife's old Grand Am.....

· Registered
765 Posts
Well I know that on GM cars you simply have to pull the E-brake up ONE notch the brake doesn't engage but that somehow defeats the DRL, I guess I would try it :grin: maybe around a wet corner even ...say at about 25 MPH :grin: :grin:
Have you checked the manual ??

True Blue #5467
<marquee scrolldelay="25" scrollamount="4">MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax,100mm DenseCharger,Sequential Tail Lights,Tinted Windows,Viper 800ESP with Remote Start and windows, MGW stuff, Foglights are here!!</marquee>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joe Bullitt on 2002-03-12 12:28 ]</font>

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulling the e-brake handle up does defeat it, but I'd rather disable it completely without resorting to driving around with the e-brake partially on! The manual doesn't say much other than that they come on when the e-brake is off. Go figure. There has to be a way to do it since I doubt Ford went to great expense to make it happen.

· Registered
765 Posts
Well I had to pull my console out when I put in my alarm with remote start, I put a safety switch in so the E-Brake HAS to be UP before my car will start, just in case someone or myself leave it in gear HOPEFULLY it will prevent the car from running into something or SOMEONE should I try and start it in gear... as I remember there is a switch connected to it at the end to sense when the ebrake is on to signal the bulb in the dash. I believe it just creates the ground in the circuit. I would bet there is another switch or at least another wire connected to it for the DRL's, POSSIBLY try grounding it (it may be power so check it first but I think it was a ground) OR see if there is a seperate fuse for the DRL's and pull it :grin: ..... just hope it doesn't run through the H/L circuit! :grin:

True Blue #5467
<marquee scrolldelay="25" scrollamount="4">MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax,100mm DenseCharger,Sequential Tail Lights,Tinted Windows,Viper 800ESP with Remote Start and windows, MGW stuff, Foglights are here!!</marquee>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joe Bullitt on 2002-03-12 16:03 ]</font>

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Strokerswild, here's what the wiring diagram says on the subject. Connector C170 is the DRL module and it is located in front of LH (driver's) front fender, below horns. The DRL module has 6 pins as follows:

3 2 1

6 5 4

Pin 1 is red with black stripe, low beam input
Pin 2 is light blue with black stripe, power (hot at all times)
Pin 3 is pink with orange stripe, power (hot in run)
Pin 4 is black, ground
Pin 5 is light green with black stripe, high beam input
Pin 6 is light blue with black stripe, park brake input

Looking at the various diagrams it looks like you can disconnect the DRL module without affecting anything else, which makes sense because not all Mustangs have this feature. Hope this helps and solves the problem. Let me know if you need anything else on the subject. Dave

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really not sure which part of Canada it came from. The dealer I bought it from brought it back from an auction in Canada with several other standard GTs. I didn't get the window sticker either.

Hate to ask a dumb question, but where are the horns on our cars? I looked very briefly after work Wednesday to see if I could find the DRL module and was guessing they might be mounted somewhere on the left inner fender in the engine bay like the old stuff used to be. Of course, it couldn't be this easy. My guess is they're tucked away somewhere? In front of the radiator support? I'll probably look a little closer this weekend once we get dug out - we had almost 12" of snow over the last 24 hours.....

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Not a dumb question Strokerswild, it's amazing how manufacturers can hide/disguise common items on these new cars. The wiring diagram book I was looking at had a location sketch that showed the DRL module somewhere in the front of the left fender, looked like it was near the headlight, separate info said it was beneath the horn. Sketch did not give a vertical orientation however. My Bullitt is under wraps so I haven't had a chance to verify, but your guess about the horn being in front of the radiator support sounds reasonable. Guess it would have been smart of me to look up the horn location in the manual also, sorry about that.
These modules are usually just black plastic connectors that house the pins. With only 6 wires going in I would guess that it is only about 1/2" wide. If you still can't find it after a more thorough search you could send me a private message with a fax number and I would be happy to fax you copies of info from the manuals. Dave
A follow up, I'm home with the manual in front of me. Looks like horns are right of the radiator as you are looking under the hood. C170 has to be somewhere around the headlight/turn signal connections and horn. Good hunting.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dsheltonpine on 2002-03-15 12:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dsheltonpine on 2002-03-15 21:37 ]</font>

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really?!? I still haven't done the unplug to the module since it's hidden away within the fender and I didn't want to tear half the car apart to find it. Just pulling a fuse just seems too easy.....it figures.....

· Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Score. Took all of 30 seconds (fuse #30) and everything works like normal afterward. Stealth mode has been achieved.

Makes me wonder if all of them have the module and it's just a matter of whether or not the fuse is present.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.