Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I have found so far from a defect perspective:

1) Chip in right rear quarter (high). Had to be some sort of transport nick.

2) Some goofball scratched up the driver side interior door pieces. Two nasty scratches.

3) Clutch... hmmm.. not sure. I like a stiff clutch mechanism, and this was softer than I am used to. I also hear a high pitched whine when shifting out of gear some times.. I'll keep an eye on this one.

4) Noisey differential when shifting? Clunks a bit.. Plus I hear something at the tranny when shifting (can throwout bearings be noisey?) Nothing major, just things I have noticed.

Oh, and the worst of all: Why the hell does this thing have a radio?! I haven't turned it on more than once since I got the car last night. I turned it back off so I could hear the V8 sing!! :smile:

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Anyone else notice a whooooaoo sound from who knows where when you are accelerating fairly hard and push in the clutch? It only happens when I am accelrating faster than normal...LOL and only when I [ush the clutch in. Got any clues?

DarkJedi67

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-05-17 17:33, DarkJedi67 wrote:
Anyone else notice a whooooaoo sound from who knows where when you are accelerating fairly hard and push in the clutch? It only happens when I am accelrating faster than normal...LOL and only when I [ush the clutch in. Got any clues?

DarkJedi67

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I have noticed a WAHOOOO! sound everytime I drive it, but it stopped once I covered my mouth. :wink:

I wonder if that sound is the same one I was hearing. I thought it was a shifting alarm at first, like those old upshift lights.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I heard the clunking sound so I worked on shifting smoother and I don't hear it unless I screw up.
My Bullitt was missing the Bullitt letters on the Trunk lid, when I picked mine up. and my wife found the left frt ground effects about ready to fall off a screw was ready to fall out and it took a bodyman about 2 minutes to fix, it was missing the anchor nut so the screw had nothing to hold on to.
I got a couple of marks in the plastic interior from the goobes that put him together, but I not sweating it

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-05-17 20:24, Jimmy Ray wrote:
I heard the clunking sound so I worked on shifting smoother and I don't hear it unless I screw up.
My Bullitt was missing the Bullitt letters on the Trunk lid, when I picked mine up. and my wife found the left frt ground effects about ready to fall off a screw was ready to fall out and it took a bodyman about 2 minutes to fix, it was missing the anchor nut so the screw had nothing to hold on to.
I got a couple of marks in the plastic interior from the goobes that put him together, but I not sweating it

Must be the same doofs that installed my interior pieces. The rest of my car looks pretty decent, although I am still wondering about the tranny noises. I will stick it out and keep trying to be smoother. I am used to a wider "sweet spot" and a stiffer pedal, so I will just need to be better! :smile:

The only other thing I have noticed, is I have seen the car balk, and I mean like *choke* during acceleration when going from first to second gear (twice this has happened). I'm giving it gas, and nothing happens.

Then I sat and thought about it tonight while looking at the manual. Duh. I think (I hope) that its the darned traction lock! :smile:)) I hav e the steering wheel situated in a way that the "traction lock" light is not visible to me, and the TL is on. The two times I have done this, I have been hard (up to 5k) acelerating from first to second, and turning a bit.. (hmmm :smile:

I hope that is it. :smile:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,152 Posts
We had a few minor tweaks that hubby fixed himself.
Otherwise, the exhaust tips are uneven (as are Mystang's). The left one sticks out about 1"-1 1/2 further than the right one. Not noticeable to anyone else but the owner! No one sees it till I point it out to them.

And there is a small paint chip on the passenger side under the mirror.
Oh ya, and the plastic cover for the speedometer and tach was scratched (ordered a new one).

Vicki DHG #344

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I'm taking mine in the 29th for the alarm install, clearcoat protector, undercarriage coating and rustproofing stuff. I've also made a list of things to be fixed..

Drivers side taillight has a LOT of water/condensation in it and is hazy.
Drivers door has large nicks in the paint on the opening edge (2 apots 7 inches total)
A couple scrtaches on the Drivers rear quarter panel
A few hazy/scratched spots around the fuel door.
Nothing wrong with the interior that I'm aware of.. So I wonder how long they'll have my baby to get all this corrected? :sad:

Also.. I've noticed a very noticeable "clunk" when shifting gears and sometimes when I let off the gas and the car "engine brakes" a bit. Or when I first use the clutch to shift or pull out of a gear.

Ah well. I did get a comment from a guy at work today.. He knew very little about the Bullitt (Except what I've been ranting about).. and he comes up and says..
"You know what would look smokin' on this car?"he says..
"what's that?" I replied...
"A wing on the back..."
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

Blakwing

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-05-18 06:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Well...I was wondering if it could be the clutch not fully releasing or maybe the clutch cable making the noise? It doesn't seem to run bad....well...it runs really good...but that noise can't be right. Some guys at work told me to check my transmission fluid level.

Also....I laid a 5 foot patch the other day in first and barked it in second before having to get off the gas...and the traction control was on...I thought it was supposed to keep the tires from spinning? My wife's old BMW did. Any clues?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
From what I understand the Trac Control only comes on when there is a difference in the speed of the wheels. If one wheel breaks free and starts spinning faster than other one, then the Trac Control kicks in. Happened to me the other day as I was accellerating through a turn trying to beat some traffic. Hit a little bump in the road and that side bounced in the air a bit. Man, that Trac Control kicked in and the engine damn near died. Scared the hell out of me, I thought the car was dying. Once the one side caught up in speed, everything was fine. I glanced down at the instruments and saw the green tire lit up and realized the Trac Control was engaged.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2001-05-18 18:34, Dillo Dave wrote:
From what I understand the Trac Control only comes on when there is a difference in the speed of the wheels. If one wheel breaks free and starts spinning faster than other one, then the Trac Control kicks in. Happened to me the other day as I was accellerating through a turn trying to beat some traffic. Hit a little bump in the road and that side bounced in the air a bit. Man, that Trac Control kicked in and the engine damn near died. Scared the hell out of me, I thought the car was dying. Once the one side caught up in speed, everything was fine. I glanced down at the instruments and saw the green tire lit up and realized the Trac Control was engaged.

Dave,

That is Exactly the same thing that happened to me twice, and scared me as well. I couldn't see the light because of the way I had the steering wheel and seat, but the behavior was identical (and I was kinda turning and hitting bumps when it happened). It has been POURING rain here for the last two days, so when it clears up I will turn off the Traction Lock and see what happens.

I feel better about this now. :smile:

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As well they should be! Its a work of art! :smile:

So far, the problems have been minor, although its early. There does seem to be some valve noise, and the tranny still makes me wonder, but this is the best built, best driving Mustang GT I have ever owned (#4 for me).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-09-16 17:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So far the only problem I have found is one of the torx screws on the Gas filler collar is screwed up. It's not down all the way flush with the collar, and it looks like it might have been cross threaded or it didn't line up correctly and forced in. The star in the head is dinged up like it started to strip while being forced in.

Oh, and I almost forgot. When I went to check the alignment of the TB, the clamp holding the oval rubber inlet tube was completely loose! I mean, the screw wasn't even screwed down even a tiny bit! It was as if the the clamp was inserted over the tube, and the tube inserted onto the TB, and then nothing. No attempt to tighten the clamp at all!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On 2001-05-19 09:03, Dillo Dave wrote:
So far the only problem I have found is one of the torx screws on the Gas filler collar is screwed up. It's not down all the way flush with the collar, and it looks like it might have been cross threaded or it didn't line up correctly and forced in. The star in the head is dinged up like it started to strip while being forced in.

Oh, and I almost forgot. When I went to check the alignment of the TB, the clamp holding the oval rubber inlet tube was completely loose! I mean, the screw wasn't even screwed down even a tiny bit! It was as if the the clamp was inserted over the tube, and the tube inserted onto the TB, and then nothing. No attempt to tighten the clamp at all!

I know I am going to sound dense here, but what is the TB? I want to check mine, and I can't think what that stands for.

Go ahead, smack me. :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2001-05-19 09:23, Bullittoid wrote:
On 2001-05-19 09:03, Dillo Dave wrote:

I know I am going to sound dense here, but what is the TB? I want to check mine, and I can't think what that stands for.

Go ahead, smack me. :wink:

Throttle body? duh.

Can you spell out how and where you checked the alignment on the TB (for everyone else)?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice site! Just to introduce myself, we took delivery of #1256 yesterday - wife's car. The shifter knob never made from the factory (stolen!). The parts manager tells me that every Bullitt in the shipment had suffered the same fate. I guess there will be some show up on e-bay soon. Other than that and a couple of minor shipping marks. All appears well.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Loosen the clamp holding the air hose to the Throttle Body (TB), and push it out of the way. You can now look into the TB at the dual butterfly's which are closed. Push and hold the throttle linkage to open the butterfly's and look at mating of the TB to the intake. Mine was not mated very well. It was atached with a 1/8" lip misalignment on the bottom. Loosen the 4 bolts attaching the TB to the intake. The TB can now be moved a very little bit, should be enough to realign it to the Intake reducing the mismatch. When you got the best match (mine wouldn't go perfect, but it's better) tighten the TB screws. Verify the match, and if you're happy with it, reattach the air hose and *tighten down the clamp*.

I wasn't able to get a perfect match, but it is much better, or rather, more evenly mismatched. Wouldn't say it did anything to improve airflow, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, i just got my bullitt and i have noticed some things unusual. When ever i shift from 1st to 2nd, the trans makes sort of a thump noice. This only happens when i shift fast. My foot is completely on the clutch. It only does it between 1st and 2nd, not any other gears. Also, the car came waxed, but it have swirl marks, i heard you have to wait to wax the car. How long do you have to wait. Also what is a good wax to use. Also if you drive fast during the break in period, what could happen to the car later?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Been following this business with the clutch/trans noise so afew words.My 96 cobra has a similiar noise,was told by the dealer that the clutch springs do not disengage as quickly as the gt clutch hense you get this groaning sound when shifting fast.Now I know its a t-45 and all but this new tranny uses a heavy duty clutch that may be similiar to the old cobra.My Bullitt due any minute now:) I'll compare and post on any thing I find.BTW cobra has 14000 miles and the drive train seems fine otherwise,.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On 2001-05-21 20:37, bullittman wrote:
Been following this business with the clutch/trans noise so afew words.My 96 cobra has a similiar noise,was told by the dealer that the clutch springs do not disengage as quickly as the gt clutch hense you get this groaning sound when shifting fast.Now I know its a t-45 and all but this new tranny uses a heavy duty clutch that may be similiar to the old cobra.My Bullitt due any minute now:) I'll compare and post on any thing I find.BTW cobra has 14000 miles and the drive train seems fine otherwise,.

That seems to be a bit more conforting, I (as well as others) are probably just afraid we are making it worse. I was going to have the service "partner" (I hate that term :smile:) ride with me to hear the noises. Maybe I will wait now.

As far as Greenbullitt's was question, I just bought a bunch of the McGuires fancy stuff. :smile: We'll see how it works...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts