Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Dense Charger today and it fits great, looks great, and performs even better. For the price it is definately the way to go. The other CAI units being chrome and all may look a lot better but performance is hendered by the fact they are metal. Metal is a conductor of heat, where as plastic or PVC is an insulator of heat. The Dense Charger is made of PVC and will not allow as much heat to be conducted from the engine compartment into the intake. If you are considering CAI, this is a great option.
Since the install the engine fires right up and does not rev up thean settle back down like it did stock. When getting on it and running through the gears there was a hesitation as I excelerated after the second shift, it no longer does this. The engine sounds and feels as though it is freer reving, especially in the mid to upper rpms.
The Dense Charger is well worth the money.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I also have one of the densecharger systems installed and I have to agree with everything you say although I lacked the terminology to describe it accurately because when I posted I had just come back from the test drive!! DEFINATELY worth the money. And to think I was gonna pay WAY to much for MAC or AFM power pipe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What is a Dense Charger and where can I get one?

·
Registered
252 Posts
www.densecharger.com
It is a cold air induction system made by a small company called Demolet Motorsport. It'll put your filter down in the fenderwell away from the heat of the engine and the idea is to get a colder, denser charge of air to the intake. I have one and I love it!! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks, after I submitted the question I actually found the denscharger.com web page.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Should the Densecharger be ordered with or without the plugs. What does it cost to have it installed? Will Ford install it? Obviously I'm new to this and in need of some serious help! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
You can order the Densecharger without plugs if you like. As for Ford installing it.. Doubtful. But then again if you paid them enough I'm sure they'd install anything. However from what I've seen and taking a look at it the densecharger should be something you can do on your own as long as you can use a screwdriver. Give it a shot!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
does the densecharger allow water in the filter (driving in the rain)?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I installed my Densecharger last weekend, replacing the March Ram air setup. I have to honestly say, I was very disappointed in the quality. The PVC parts are a bit cheesy in my opinion. The mounting holes for the plate, all on top, were inadequate to keep things from moving around. I added an additional hole at the bottom of the plate, and the plate cracked! The piping inner diameter seemed a bit small too and with all that extra length, I wonder if it might not even be restrictive.

As for heat conduction, metal or plastic, there is not enough conduction in a pipe wall to make much difference under use. Smooth wall tubing does not transfer that much btu.

As for performance, I didn't notice any improvement over the ram air, actuially felt a bit slower but SOP is not a good gauge and it's been hot here too.

I'll keep running it for a while and give it a chance. The jury is still out.

Brian

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All material no matter what it is if located in a space (such as in th engine compartment)that is heated, will absorb heat. Metal is however more conductive and will absorb the heat faster. I know this because my job requires me too. And at temperatures well above 150 deg. F. you can bet there is heat transfer happening through that thin wall pipe.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OKC.. yes, any material will absorb heat to one degree or another.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ack!..hit the enter key too soon...

OKC.. yes, any material will absorb heat to one degree or another. However, wall thickness and surface area play a large roll in heat conduction. The thin wall tubing on an intake pipe has very little mass i.e heat sink so it is not going to pass on much in the way of heat to the large mass of air flowing through it. You would be hard pressed to measure any charge air temperature difference between the PVC pipe of the densecharger and any of the metal intake pipes out there, other than may be an instant on hot startup.

It's just not an area of concern as opposed to good flow, flow capacity and internal smoothness on an intake pipe.

Brian

·
Registered
393 Posts
is there any concrete evidence to any of the CAI's working? I'm hesistant to run out and buy it from just SOTP judgement calls.

Anyone have track data/improvement? I can't really see how dyno data would reveal a difference, considering you're sitting still with the hood open. At seems like only drag strip runs would verify an increase (if any) in performance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
With multiple pictures of the product and an honest accurate description...even the slogan..."do you want show or go", obviously the system isn't going to win any beauty awards. I didn't intend for it to. When a product is tested and endorsed by professionals and the intake portion only really costs the customer $39.00 after subtracting the retail value of the K&N and the shipping cost, then "bargain value" is more appropriate than "cheesy".
There are more testing and evaluation articles coming which have been performed on the system. http://www.motortecmag.com has recently completed dyno and road testing the system. Their results will be posted to their site soon. Please check it out when it's posted.
It's easy to crack plexiglass if not drilled properly. It's 1/4" thick, so it's tuff, but comes predrilled for this reason. You have to also cut it with special carbide blades. But it doesn't conduct heat and is further gasketed to keep it away from the metal fender. Metal is a conductor of heat and plastic an insulator. Simple high school science. I have the system priced with nylock nuts, rubber marine gaskets, all necessary hardware, even pads and an A/C line cover, permatex, etc. because I wanted to give my customers a "true value" on a modification which you can actually feel!
I'm very thankful to all the great customers I have on this board. I really appreciate your business!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JP DEMOLET on 2001-07-26 20:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
JP:
Thanks for the generous offer. I take reponsibility for cracking the cover plate as I installed an additional mounting screw. When tightened, this over-flexed the plate to match the contour of the inner fender and it cracked. I backed it off a bit and will monitor it to see if it holds up. If not, I'll purchase a new plate from you.

Thanks again for the offer. I'm sorry if I offended you with the "cheesy" comment but that was my impression. But as you noted, you got what you paid for, an intake system for very little money. I will be very interested in seeing some performance numbers to validate the product.

Brian

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I did some research on flow thru a 3 inch diameter pipe. A 3 inch pipe will flow more than two 2 1/4 inch diameter pipes together. The throttle bores,of the Bullitt intake,are 2 1/4 inch diameter. So the 3 inch pipe should be fine. The 4 inch diameter flow tubes are mostly designed for supercharger applications. The length of the Densecharger tube,could in theory,help add additional torque by aidding air velocity. I don't know though what the correct length would need to be for best results. I could feel an improvement in engine pull in the 2500-3500 RPM range. Only a dyno test will tell the tale,as any added torque,would be hard to see on a typical slick dragstrip with stock type street tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On the 5.0s the 9" length filter will start idle irregularities. The difference in performance between the 9" and the current 7" 3530 K&N is barely detectable. I was leary of marketing any of the systems with the 9" filter because of this. You can feel a drop in torque with the filter in the up position. But each motor is different and at least you can test each position.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i installed my dense today, and i havent realy driven the car too much to be a judge, but so far it sounds better, and feels like it revs freely. the stock stup is really restrictive. looking inside at the size of the filter, and the size the air has to flow inside, the dense is a better bet, and bang for buck mod.

However, i have concerns about the filter and water, and dirt. on the gt's, there would be a fog light there to sheild some water that could come throught the grill, but we dont have foglights, and i can see the filter throught the opening (while on the ground looking in)

How does it perform in the rain??? I am a little worried about this.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts