Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a densecharger, and realized the instructions tell you to remove the MAF screen. What are the potential negatives of doing this? What type of damage can be done?

2001 DHG Bullit #4719
Densecharger
1995 Laser Red GT
K&N Filter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gibscreen on 2001-10-11 23:19 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Try it and see. On the dyno,I picked up a couple HP thru out the entire RPM range. Of course in my situation,the dyno and the strip aren't communicating very well!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
what kind of dyno numbers did the densecharger give you over stock? mine is stock and i'm thinking about adding one as the first mod. should i get the 4 inch and what can i expect from the strip? is it worth another tenth?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i tried it without the screen in, and idle seemed kinda lopey, and it sounded a little odd between shifts. so i popped the maf meter and the first tube out, took the rubber ring off the maf screen, used some permatex to seal it between the two pieces, then bolted the thing back together. had to hunt around for some small washers to use as spacers between the maf and the first tube, but got it back in, and now it's perfect.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gibscreen, I am trying to understand why you would need washers? Can you explain. Also, did it solve your idle problem?

Thanks.

John

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I am running the 4 inch Densecharger without the screen. No idle problems. I did not see any gain at the track,but there was a lot of wheel spin in 2nd gear,times stayed the same........There is more HP in that intake somewhere!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi all. I wrote to John De Molet to ask him about my idle condition now that cooler weather is here in Georgia during the mornings. Below is John's reply. Based on what John says I am going to leave the screen out. John's answer follows...

The screen will interrupt velocity with a 1hp
loss. It probably won't affect your idle. It sounds like the cold idle circuits are cutting in a little. Mine will do this when the weather gets colder and stop with complete warm up. The cold idle circuits
work as a choke to richen up the mixture. You're feeling them click in and out with the cold weather. I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets any worse try moving the filter to the up position, which is a
warmer location, but it's probably just going to be characteristic when it's colder weather.

Sincerely, John De Molet

I really do appreciate parts vendors like John. He is always willing to stop and talk to you.

John

Pro 5.0 Shifter
Densecharger CAI
Superchips Premium Fuel Chip
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
GT Fog Lights / Tinted Windows
MGW LTD Interior Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-10-04 19:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey Guys, I don't want to sound dense(pun intended), but I just got my Bullitt today, and I don't know what a densecharger is. :???:
Can you please enlighten me?

:bullitt

·
Registered
543 Posts
Moljay, go to http://www.densecharger.com/

Buy system #4 on the ordering page. This is the first mod most people do to their Bullitts.

John

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks John, that looks like a definite add-on at some point. Do you know if it affects my warranty or service at all?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Moljay, I've had the car in for warranty service and the dealer has said nothing about my mods. If I had an engine problem I could aways pop the stock airbox back in. It's a 15 minute job once you have taken it out once. When you get the bug to squeeze out every ounce of HP out our cars it's hard to stop. I am very happy with all of my mods. I am going to cool it for the rest of this year. Next year 3.73s and Steeda upper and lower rear control arms.

John

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regarding the question about why I would need washers:

When you put the MAF screen in, you're basically wedging it between the PVC pipe and the MAF pipe, which creates a small 1mm gap between the pipes. considering that the pipe is circular and the base of those pipes is a square, you're bolting them together at the corner. With the maf screen wedged in there, when you try to tighten the bolts all the way, the base flexes at the corner, trying to put the pieces of plastic flush, when the rest of the base is 1mm apart. This warps the plastic slightly, which can break the seal on the maf. So by placing small washers at each bolt hole of the same thickness as the maf screen, you're allowing everything to be bolted flush. hope that makes sense.

a good analogy would be if you were trying to bolt two pieces of metal flush together. if you stuck a pencil in between the two pieces of metal, then tried to bolt them together, the metal would flex. but by placing spacers (washers) at the bolt spot, everything can be flush and parallel again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I made a similar mod to my '00 GT convertible with a MAC cold air induction. After trying it both ways I found that my car ran better (as a daily driver) with the screen installed. Rather than attempt to use the factory screen I used some house window screen (from the local hardware store) which I bonded to the gasket between the MAF and the intake pipe with silicone. Trimmed the excess and you couldn't even tell I'd done it. Worked great!

Without the screen I had idle problems and "hesitation" when the engine was cold. My theory is that the screen evens out the airflow entering the MAF and helps it get a more accurate reading.

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor, located between the air filter and the intake manifold it measures the volume of air entering the engine. It's vital to your car running/idling properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The MAF screen reduces the turbulence of the incoming air by "straightening it out", just like the screen in a faucet does to the water. Bottom line-leave the screen in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts