Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Did it again.

861 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  English Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
Did it again. Update on breakage

Two years in a row. On the eve of the Pink Slip Shootout I hurt my car. Last year I blew the rearend and this year it may be the tranny. Although it sounds like what happened to 5094 and Double J when they grabbed fourth and boom, nothing happens and then no more gears. So hopefully it will be the output shaft or ??

on a good note, fresh off the trailer, just adjusted tire pressure and the car ran 11.63 @ 122

#6 ·
Sorry to hear Paul, but I guess whatever it takes to not wear another pink slip lol.
I would stay away from a TKO 600. They don't seem to be suited to shift fast at the drag strip for some reason. A beefed up 3650 or a T56 would be my choices.

#7 ·
BC said:
Sorry to hear Paul, but I guess whatever it takes to not wear another pink slip lol.
I would stay away from a TKO 600. They don't seem to be suited to shift fast at the drag strip for some reason. A beefed up 3650 or a T56 would be my choices.

+1 on the T-56. I had a TKO-600 in my last car and it was strong enough for sure but the throws were long. Admittedly I had the stock shifter in the TKO so not an apples to apples comparison with my T-56. Aftermarket shifter may cure the long throw woes in the TKO. Either way it's a major step up in durability...:cool:

#9 ·
So far so good. Ol 3650 may still be ok. We put the car on the hoist and there's clutch fragments all along the opening at the bottom of the tranny. The early prognosis is that I cooked the clutch and since it is 4 years old and due to be replaced in the spring anyway I'm optimistic the tranny just may see another 5500rpm dump.....or 50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.