Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Did the dealer pierce your front tag dimples? (or try to)?

2K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  Warlon 
#1 ·
I almost drove off the dealer lot with a DHG
that already had the front license dimples
pierced. Luckily I noticed two other DHGs on
the lot that this had not been done to. (I
was able to get one of those, DHG3875) The
dealer then tells me that "by law" they
must install a front license frame. I told
them to "look the other way" or else I was
leaving. They agreed. I was so paranoid
that some prep boy was going to sneak up
and punch holes in DHG3875 when I wasn't
looking that I didn't allow them to prep
the car. It was dirty as hell with all the
tape and stickers still on as I drove home.
Anyone else have this happen?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-04 14:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-05 23:53 ]</font>

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, at least it's just two holes instead
of four. We can get a ticket here (Ohio) too
for not having the front plate. I got
away with it with my '99 Vette for 3 years,
but my luck may run out soon with DHG 3875.

#4 ·
When I went looking at my Bullitt on dealer's lot I noticed that all the GT's they had on the lot already had the front bumper drilled, but not the Bullitt. So, I made sure that the salesmen understood that if my front bumper got perforated during make ready that the deal was off. Even though Texas requires front plates, I have driven my previous two cars for a total of nine years without the front plates and never had a cop stop me for that. Gave one of the cars to my son and he got stopped for no front plate within a month.

#5 ·
Unfortunately for me, my car was already drilled when I took delivery of it. However my requests were honored for the other bits.. No dealer stickers or emblems, no plate surrounds, I got the window sticker intact and a few other details. However, even though a front plate is mandate in Illinois I've not yet put one on any of my cars.. The front plate resides under the passengers floormat while I wait for my dealership to order the proper bracket [wink, wink, nudge, nudge] Damn them slow parts department folks!! :wink:

#6 ·
Mine had the dealer plate and plate frame on it when I picked it up. Oh well, they are cracking down on front plates here in California so I just put the damn plate on. I put a tinted plate shield over it that I picked up at Pep Boys. It's molded in a way that it almost looks like it matches the shape of the bumper and eliminates the cutout on the bumper for the plate.

#7 ·
227 was clean. But if it was not, I was thinking of getting another cover and even getting rid of the dimples;-)...

Bud

PS California requires a front plate as well, but... :wink:

#8 ·
I was going to put mine on for the fact that they're needed by law. I don't like it, but being young I figured I would pulled over in a heart beat. Instead, the dealership refused to put it on, saying that it would ruin the look of the car, they even gave me a battery of response I could use if I were to get pulled over. They also didn't put on any other badging.

Knock on wood, nothing so far.

#9 ·
My '89 GT has been around since...'89 and has never had front plates. My wife was pulled over once in it for not having plates, but they didn't give her a ticket or a warning. They just wanted to see if it was some high school punk that they could sucker.

I was pulled over in my Bullitt (without front plates) for speeding and the plates were never mentioned.

I am not saying that this is true, but I have been told that in Texas you must have plates or the officer can pull you over, but he cannot give you a ticket for it. Go figure. Maybe it is just a city ordinance.

#10 ·
My dealer was very cool and made a point of NOT putting the front plate on, even tho it's the law in WI. I still don't have one on. When I got my speeding ticket in Oct. the cop asked me about it and I said I was waiting to get the screws from the dealership (a lie). So no holes yet in #2832

#11 ·
When I ordered 1007, I told my sales man, "NO frt plate or dealer stickers and I wanted to remove all the plastic" from the car my self.....I wanted to get picture of 1007 the way it showed up on the truck, I did miss getting pictures of 1007 on the truck by 5min's. I got everthing I wanted NO holes, No dealer tag I have the window sticker framed and all the shipping plastic in a box stored safely away.... Kay won't drive the 1007 because she is worried that she'll get a ticket for no plate. I would rather pay the fine than drill holes in the bumper.

#12 ·
I live in Virginia but I bought my Bullitt in Union City Georgia. Georgia does not require a front plate so the dealer had no plans of putting any holes in my car. I'm not planning on putting the front plate on. I hope the local police are all mustang fans and they look the other way.
Jeff

#16 ·
I put the front plate on myself. Why give the boys in blue an excuse to ticket for something stupid like that if they might be in a generous mood over a few mph?

Besides for those with strong movie tie-ins, Bullitt's car had its CA black plate on the front.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-12-04 21:52 ]</font>

#18 ·
My father was real big on telling the dealership not to touch the car. He told them no dealer stickers, and no poking holes in the front bumper. In fact, the dealer even left the plastic wrapping on the seats and floor for us to take off. We have the plastic for the back seat stored safely away. The plastic is still on the floor on the driver's side. We even ordered a set of floor mats for the Bullitt, that way the original floor mats could be stored away. The dealer was not able to order the exact floor mats that come with the Bullitt. Instead, we got factory Ford Mustang floor mats, just not designed to be in the Bullitt. The floor mats fit just fine I think. The shape of the mats are only slightly different. I think the new mats we ordered look good. These mats have Mustang stiched on them. They look good.

#19 ·
In case any members have second thoughts about holes in the bumper cover go to http://www.bumpers.com and get a new one for less than $200.00. This part lists for $500.00 from Ford. Bumpers.com sells manufacturers seconds the plain GT bumper is around $150.00. Then take it to a good body man and have it painted and put it on yourself. It's a simple install. I have two bumper covers for my car. The original with holes and a second without. Bumpers.com may have one already painted by Ford. If you are lucky you can get one. My car has the one with no holes on it. I had ordered a custom tag for the front, California JJZ 109. It came and I put it on. It looked cool until the first washing and then water accumulated between the plastic layers of the tag. There was a post here on where to get the custom tags, that is why I ordered one but I did not know it would come in as three layers of plastic that retain water in between. It's used now as a display with my Bullitt models and I have a front bumper with no holes on my car.

Teddy Katz Bullitt#60
www.teddykatz.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tskatz on 2001-12-05 06:43 ]</font>

#20 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-04 21:11, #2971 wrote:
Bullitt4660 license plate covers are illegal in CA as well.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I know, but they tend to overlook it more than no plate at all.

#21 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-05 09:45, kfengler wrote:
On 2001-12-04 22:59, crazyboykc wrote:
My father was real big on telling the dealership not to touch the car. He told them no dealer stickers, and no poking holes in the front bumper.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I have mats like that, bought them on the internet!

I notice there is a plate on the front of your dads car, how's it held on?
I would think a bracket designed so it attaches under the bumber, so you can take it off without leaving holes in the front face would be pretty easy to design.
Wonder if FORD needs someone like that???
On a Scirocco I had (1986) it had a bracket like that. I took it off, modified it so the bottom of the plate was at a rearward angle under the bumper. Looked better than sticking right out front, in your face.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
We put the front plate on only to take our pictures. My dad just used doubled sided mounting tape. The plate stayed on nicely. However, when it was time to take it off, it left a little bit of sticky crap behind. My dad used clear packing tape to dab off the sticky residue. It left no damage to the bumper! It worked perfect. Currently, the plate if off the front and is hanging in the garage. He refuses to mount it on the car anymore! The DMV told us we could just lie and make up an excuse for not having it on the car if we get stopped.

#22 ·
I'm torn. The car already had the front holes in it when I bought it.
I'm picking up my personalized plates tomorrow...and I THINK I'm going to put them on the front as well.
If I wasn't getting personalized plates, I DON'T think I would put them on the front.
I guess it's partially because from the front nobody seems to have a clue that the car is a special Mustang, unlike the thousands of late model Mustangs on our roads. With the plate on it, maybe it'll make them take a second look!
:???: :???:

#23 ·
In California they are starting to get strict about having front plates on because of these new cameras that take pictures of cars if they run a light at an intersection. Don't be suprised if they show up in a town near you! They've proven to drastically decrease the number of accidents at problem intersections, not to mention increase revenue for the city.

#25 ·
My dealer was kind enough to leave the front bumper alone per my request, despite Texas law. Never been stopped for no front plate, but I keep it under the passenger seat just in case. The dealer did tear the window sticker removing it and promised me a new one... that was two months ago.

Guess it's time to start calling them every day...

#26 ·
Don't know how you guys get away without the front plates. As several people have pointed out, it's required in Texas. Once had my front plate fall off, heard it hit the ground, picked it up and put it in the back floorboard, and got stopped before I made it home. Luckily it was cold and wet outside, and so was the license plate when I showed it to the officer. He laughed and let me go on home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.