Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone can tell me the difference about this two shifters?

Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09) $249.95
http://www.brenspeed.com/3915201.html

Hurst Competition Plus Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09) $189.99
http://www.brenspeed.com/3910201.html

why the price difference?
I want to get one from brenspeed but don't know witchone...
thanks for the help

Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
The billet shifter is made out of billet aluminum and is stronger/more durable I'm guessing. Just by looking at the two you can tell the billet one is more beefier.

SwissBullitt said:
someone can tell me the difference about this two shifters?

Hurst Billet Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09) $249.95
http://www.brenspeed.com/3915201.html

Hurst Competition Plus Short Throw Shifter Mustang GT (05-09) $189.99
http://www.brenspeed.com/3910201.html

why the price difference?
I want to get one from brenspeed but don't know witchone...
thanks for the help

Chris

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
HollowPointStang said:
The billet shifter is made out of billet aluminum and is stronger/more durable I'm guessing. Just by looking at the two you can tell the billet one is more beefier.
One thing you have to remember, Aluminum is not nearly as strong as steel. It takes approximately twice the sectional size in Aluminum to equal the strength of steel, and even then it is more subject to fatigue type failure than steel. The benefit is that steel weighs 3 times the equivilent size piece of Aluminum, so as long as the part is engineered properly it can be the same strength while being lighter. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to gauge this visually.

In this case, I suspect (sorry, no direct experience with either) that performance between the two is similar, with the billet piece being slightly lighter - but not light enough to make any real difference overall.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you guys, then maybe is not worth to spend 60 dollars more...just cause is billett!!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Back in the day for the T-5s the competition plus was a cast aluminum base and a stamped steel ring for the stops it came with a chrome stick and boot. The billet plus was like it said billet aluminum base and a billet steel shifter stop ring no chrome stick and boot. I have tryed them in the old fox bodys and both worked great. My point is I dont think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
People think of Aluminum cans I guess when they think of aluminum... Granted steel is stronger.... but aluminum is not that weak either. The Bradley tanks I drove when I was still in the Army had an Aluminum/Magnesium alloy for armor... That's gotta say something!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Hurst Shifter install:

When onefastbob was looking into the Hurst Shifters it seems to me that there was a lot

of discussion over a New Hurst Shifter coming out that was a different design.

I was always into the:

MGW Shifter:

So I did not pursue the New Hurst unit.

Also it seems to me that Many Owners have reported that the Hurst does

"BUSS/Rattle/Vibrate" because it bolts directly up.

So, way back when I did run the Hurst Shifters and I remember you rode with your Hand

on the Shifter to hold down the NOISE from it.

I just really liked the way onefastbob's looked in his Bullitt. It Looks Great !!!!!!!!

But if the Noise is for real and it must be or owners would Not be reporting so.

I just don't know if I am ready for that again ...........

Onefastbob,

Hurst Competition Plus Shifter Installed

LINK:

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155274&highlight=hurst+shifter+install

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sothpaw said:
Is there a difference between function and feel between the two Hurst shifters?

It looks like on the billet plus you can adjust the spring tension for the 2nd 3rd shift. Its them 2 flat plates left and right of the shifter stick unbolt and 2 springs are in there remove one for less tension. I could be wrong but it looks like the setup I had on my old fox. The comp plus doesnt look like it has that.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ahhh, now that's interesting. It may very well be worth a bit extra for gain some further adjustability.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is getting even worst, now I have 3 possibilities...
I heard about that the Hurst is noisy...but many I others say that its perfect...
I really don't know now...gonna wait for some inspiration...
thanks guys...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wanted a Hurst for the chrome handle but the Competition Plus lacks a very important feature for me, that MGW or Steeda shifter have: Adjustable stopper bolts !
Then 2 months ago, i noticed the Hurst billet, suffice to say i now have best of both worlds with stopper AND Hurst chrome handle:cool:

as i drag race my car once in awhile, i feel more confident having a positive stopper on the shifter instead of the tranny taking all the shock:smile:

So far, no noise or vibration to report :question:

Alain

2008 Bullitt Highland green #2321
30th anniversary Trans am conv Ram Air LS1 6sp
2007 Honda VFR800 AT Vtech rouge,blanc,bleu
1983 Honda CX650-Turbo 2 cyl inj.
1997 Aurora V8 250hp (winter beater)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Personally, when I can scratch up the extra change, I plan on going with the MGW...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I can't recall Terry, is that what you are running for a shifter?

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Lightning said:
I can't recall Terry, is that what you are running for a shifter?
Mike,

NO, I am not running any after market shifter.

The MGW is the one I checked out the most and it is the one that there are

No-Bad-Comments on by the owners.

I Stopped ALL mods. while waiting to see what was going to take place (Work-Wise).

Well We Both know how that turned out. :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Seriously, though the MGW is the Best Shifter out there with a Very Wide Range of Adjustments.

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
969 Posts
mike,

i installed an mgw shifter about 3,000 miles back. it is an awsome shifter. very precise. i feel more connected with the tranny during shifts than i did with the stock shifter. i did like the feel of the stock shifter, and i like the feel of the mgw shifter better. i was able to install my factory bullitt shift knob on the mgw shifter, so most people wouldn't even notice that i had a different shifter unless they knew what they were looking for.

i think that onefastbob's hurst shifter looks pretty sweet installed also. i've never tried a hurst shifter, and i've heard they are a pretty sweet and precise set up too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.