Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, what fluid does the diff take? i live in AZ, and it's a high of about 105 where I live, and it goes into the teens and 20's at night, so i need a good standard fluid i imagine. also, is it as simple is removing that plug on top and filling it up? any info would be great, my pinion seal is leaking evidently. Also, is the pinion seal easy to replace on my own? If so, i'll just do that real fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The Ford factory fill fluid is a specially formulated synthetic that should work well under most conditions.
To replace the pinion seal will require removing the pinion yoke,which will release the pinion bearing preload,there is a crush collar between the pinion bearing and yoke.
You might get lucky and replace the seal and yoke,tighten the pinion nut back up,just with slightly more preload. Takes A LOT of torque to tighten that thing back up....over 200 ft.lbs.
Use a inch/pound torque wrench to verify the complete assembly rotating torque,before you loosen up the pinion nut,then retorque to that figure.
Maybe a good excuse to install a new 3.73/4.10 gear set,if you haven't already!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I'm just going to go ahead and let ford take care of it monday. i dont even want to try getting into this on my garage floor!

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts