Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having a problem getting their Bullitts into reverse? I've only had my Bullitt for two days, but half the time I need to back up it has been very difficult to get it in reverse. Before the Bullitt I had a '00 GT and whenever it didn't want to go in reverse I would just put it in neutral, let the cluth out and push it back in, and then I would be able to put it into reverse with ease. That method is not working so well with my Bullitt though. I have to do the clutch out, clucth in, thing about 10 times before I can get it into reverse. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been in the habit for a few years of going into 3rd before going to reverse just to get the gears aligned. I still catch myself doing it in the Bullitt, but I wouldn't think it should be necessary on a new vehicle, but I hope this helps.

John G.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Every manual I've ever had I've done like this:

Neutral
Clutch In
2nd
1st
R
Clutch OUT

This on the advice of my dad when I was 15 and learning to drive. To this day, when I try to go straight into reverse on almost any car, it either requires more physical effort or grinds if I don't do the above. Try it! It looks long (even to me) when I type it, but after 15 years it would be hard for me not to do it, and it doesn't take but a split second.

I ALWAYS move the shifter into second on my way to first, even when pulling away from the curb or a redlight... Funny the habits you pick up.

Also try rocking fwd in first a little (inches) if the above doesn't work.

Joe

Dark Highland Green #1934
Bone Stock except for a deep Zaino Shine!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-10-09 22:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies :smile: ! I'll give those reverse shifting methods a shot.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My # 5578 only has 500 miles on it now and I've had NO problems getting into reverse. No pressure, no need to double clutch. I was thinking how lucky this was since my 1997 Cobra needed a double clutch into reverse. Now I KNOW I got lucky.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Strange. Reverse shouldn't be a problem on the new tranny as it has a synchronized reverse gear. The clutch must not be disengaged or the input shaft sticking in the pilot bearing a bit. It may get better as things get worn in.

My #66 has had zero tranmission problems. Will see if that is still so after 2 days of hammering it around the road course this weekend.. :smile:

BRian

·
Registered
285 Posts
I thought I was having a problem with going in reverse, but I was "pushing" the shifter to the right when I first got the car.

Now I just drop it in reverse...it was just a matter of getting used to it.

Scott D.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hee hee hee... That may be one of the few things that has been very good on my car. Shifting<G>. #227 has shifted smooth since day one. But the way my luck has been going with this car, Ford may be putting a transmission in it next. Just so they can match the NEW engine, right;-(...

Hope this helps.

Bud
http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bullitt.htm

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The last two days, 3753 has been being a little *%&^% about going into reverse. Who knows. I'll find out again today.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mine was hard to get into reverse when i first got it but now the shifter has loosened up and it's easy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes sometimes sticks trying to go into revers.I have not had it happen to me but my brother and best friend who i loaned the car to on several times has complained.I think it is a case of not having it in N befor trying to shift into revers??? or trying to shift it into rev. to fast ?? any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
One thing people have problems with is they run through the pattern and then try to hit Reverse from 5th. Can't do it, wouldn't be prudent. There is a lock out to stop it.
You have to come from someplace other than 5th to go into reverse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On the tranny thing & reverse, a buddy of mine said that on these transmissions, it's best to hit 1st first and then reverse. The 1,2 and reverse patterns is just buttuh...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Got Bullitt #2276 on Saturday 10-15-01 and have the same issue.

Also, had this same type of problem with the old top loader 4 speed.

Try putting the tranny in a gear, other than reverse, let out on the clutch briefly then try reverse. What is happening is that the gears are not aligning correctly.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-09 22:26, AggieBullitt wrote:
Anyone else having a problem getting their Bullitts into reverse? I've only had my Bullitt for two days, but half the time I need to back up it has been very difficult to get it in reverse. Before the Bullitt I had a '00 GT and whenever it didn't want to go in reverse I would just put it in neutral, let the cluth out and push it back in, and then I would be able to put it into reverse with ease. That method is not working so well with my Bullitt though. I have to do the clutch out, clucth in, thing about 10 times before I can get it into reverse. Am I missing something?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help guys. After a week of driving it works great now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts