Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where the trans fluid dipstick is?

I can't find it at all

·
Registered
72 Posts
Manual transmissions don't have dipsticks. The fluid doesn't get changed as regularly and doesn't need to get checked like autos. Maybe someone more educated in auto service knows why. Anyone?

John G.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
There isnt one. on standard transmissions there is a hole on the side of the tranny with a plug in it. you wont ever have to check it unless for some reason you loose fluid and it wil be noticible.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Manual transmissions usually don't have one. I'm not sure about the transmission in the Bullitt, but typically there is a plug on the side. Someone on the board has replaced their transmission fluid already, maybe they can shed some light on drain and fill plugs locations.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that mean we actually have to "trust" that the mechanic who changes the fluid put the correct amount in? I don't like that at all!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
There is a plug that uses a 3/8 square drive to put it on and off. It is pipe thread so it stacks up as you tighten it down. It is right above the cross memeber. So it is fun getting to. Could be worse. You can remove the plug and then the level should be level with the bottom of the hole. Takes 4 quarts.
Same type plug on the bottom for the drain.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The TR 3650 has a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny and a fill plug on the passengers side of the tranny. Use a 3/8" rachet to remove/tighten the plug. Be careful not to overtighten. The tranny takes exactly 4 qts of synthetic ATF. I like Amsoil but the manual says Mobil One ATF. You basically need to buy a pump at Pep Boys that screws onto a quart bottle to fill the tranny. These pumps go for about $5 bucks.

There were a fair amount of metal shavings in bottom of my drain pan. If you are planning on bringing in your car for TSB# 15175 they first check for shavings before they drop the tranny. For this reason I wish I had not changed my tranny fluid.

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-10-15 10:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
I changed my fluid to Redline Friday and got a drain pan full of aluminum colored trans oil.. :sad: Makes me wonder if the shift fork problem is related to them forgetting to put the plastic tips on the shift fork?? That would account for the aluminum in the oil. Guess time will tell.

My Talon trans was like that. It had bare aluminum forks and they would wear leaving aluminum in the oil.

Brian

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone tried redline's motor oil?

I was thinking of trying it. They have the 5w20 and it's synthetic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts