Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I gain and lose engaged and disengaged? Can someone also explain the live axle beyond the independent suspension we lose, I understand that. What is the theory behind Ford's thinking. My first Muscle Car in 35 years, I had one though an SS396 when they were all live axle cars unless I went Europe and bought an exotic racer. I am just curious and too lazy to surf.

I'd like to see responses from the die hards and why you are a die hard on a live axle and the anti-slip differential. Which is better to run a 1/4 mile in, with it on or off. I plan on running this at a local strip in Orlando against some kids at work with those fast little cars from Japan and Germany for fun, I do not want to be embarrassed! Trust me when I say I can drive, I just do not understand the physics and I have a scientific background, must have slept through physics I guess.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Live Weak comments...

Live axel over IRS for the 1/4 mile. Traction control off. The traction control works off the ABS system, wheel spin being countered by brake action. At the Track do a couple runs on and a couple runs off and if you're running street tires and breaking loose, you'll see the difference. As this is the Bullitt site, be prepared for some alternate theories.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Terry said:
What do I gain and lose engaged and disengaged? Can someone also explain the live axle beyond the independent suspension we lose, I understand that. What is the theory behind Ford's thinking. My first Muscle Car in 35 years, I had one though an SS396 when they were all live axle cars unless I went Europe and bought an exotic racer. I am just curious and too lazy to surf.

I'd like to see responses from the die hards and why you are a die hard on a live axle and the anti-slip differential. Which is better to run a 1/4 mile in, with it on or off. I plan on running this at a local strip in Orlando against some kids at work with those fast little cars from Japan and Germany for fun, I do not want to be embarrassed! Trust me when I say I can drive, I just do not understand the physics and I have a scientific background, must have slept through physics I guess.:confused: :confused:
I would say turn traction control off, adjust tire pressure for stock REAR tires to 20 to 25 PSI and launch at 3000 to 5000 rpm and shift to second at 5500 to 6000 rpm should lead to a respectable time. Might also bump up the front tires to 35 PSI, 1/4 tank or less of fuel and take all unecessary stuff out of car. Let us know what your times are when you run.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
As the others have said, TC off at the track. Also, to add to what Bob said, if you are on street tires, go around the water box, not through it. Do not do a big smokey burnout. Just give the tires a couple revolutions to knock the junk off of them. You will most likely get better results by slipping the clutch instead of dumping it.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
4fit? said:
As the others have said, TC off at the track. Also, to add to what Bob said, if you are on street tires, go around the water box, not through it. Do not do a big smokey burnout. Just give the tires a couple revolutions to knock the junk off of them. You will most likely get better results by slipping the clutch instead of dumping it.
Good point. I have read this before...water box and street tires are a no no. Will just slow you down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice from all of you, I sort of expected I should disengage, yet I can see some advantage engaged if I screw up, I won't though, I can't! I really have trouble UNDERSTANDING ANY ADVANTAGE AT ALL TO A STRAIGHT AXLE! I just don't know why Ford keeps that relic in tact. What am I missing? Is it just that nostalgia is in force or is there some real advantage, and if there is; I would assume it only helps in a straight down the line tramp.

I am not sure how many people really can explain the physics, but I am hoping one of you knows the answer. The Bullitt handles remarkably well with that old technology, I was actually amazed how well, which made me buy it, it was unexpected.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It is actually quite simple. They (straight axles) are substantially CHEAPER, LIGHTER & most of all STRONGER. IRS won't show much advantage at all in a daily driver or weekend cruiser, all while adding weight and cost.

Terry said:
Great advice from all of you, I sort of expected I should disengage, yet I can see some advantage engaged if I screw up, I won't though, I can't! I really have trouble UNDERSTANDING ANY ADVANTAGE AT ALL TO A STRAIGHT AXLE! I just don't know why Ford keeps that relic in tact. What am I missing? Is it just that nostalgia is in force or is there some real advantage, and if there is; I would assume it only helps in a straight down the line tramp.

I am not sure how many people really can explain the physics, but I am hoping one of you knows the answer. The Bullitt handles remarkably well with that old technology, I was actually amazed how well, which made me buy it, it was unexpected.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Wheel hop is an issue with the independant rear suspension, however the quality of ride is better with the independant rear.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Wheel hop is an issue with the independant rear suspension, however the quality of ride is better with the independant rear.

Personally, I like the live axle feel. I like how the rear wheels feel solidly on the ground. I drove front wheel drive cars for a long time, and I am very happy to be back in a rear wheel drive car again.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Terry said:

Drag Racers like the live axle because it is stronger. Some owners of the previous generation Cobra changed out their IRS for a live axle because of this.
When Ford surveyed Mustang owners the reply they received was for a live axle, so the S197 has a live axle. apparently though it was designed to accommodate an IRS as well.

Live axle or IRS the differential works the same. IRS just can give better ride quality, but on good roads you won't feel that much difference.

Apparently the IRS can give more wheel hop, this was a big complaint from Cadillac CTS owners.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I do it, yours is the formula for the strip.

onefastbob said:
I would say turn traction control off, adjust tire pressure for stock REAR tires to 20 to 25 PSI and launch at 3000 to 5000 rpm and shift to second at 5500 to 6000 rpm should lead to a respectable time. Might also bump up the front tires to 35 PSI, 1/4 tank or less of fuel and take all unecessary stuff out of car. Let us know what your times are when you run.
I will do all mentioned here by you. I just need to get off my butt, I am curious about times, and how the Bullitt stacks up, I think there is a super charged Bonneville somewhere in this group of 30 year olds, age of the guys, not the cars; and they all want to go. I did allow one of my friends to drive my car and he compared it to his Porsche 911 that is pristine and he paid about 55K 4 years ago, I am not knowledgeable about the car except it is a very desirable body style. He said, and I quote, that the Bullitt would eat his lunch in a drag, but the Porsche is a handling car, it made me feel good anyway. I think it is a 1996, 911.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
onefastbob said:
I almost went tonight but started to look like rain, but none came. We have not had a good rain in 2 months. When i get to it, I will let you all know what I was able to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Terry said:
I will do all mentioned here by you. I just need to get off my butt, I am curious about times, and how the Bullitt stacks up, I think there is a super charged Bonneville somewhere in this group of 30 year olds, age of the guys, not the cars; and they all want to go. I did allow one of my friends to drive my car and he compared it to his Porsche 911 that is pristine and he paid about 55K 4 years ago, I am not knowledgeable about the car except it is a very desirable body style. He said, and I quote, that the Bullitt would eat his lunch in a drag, but the Porsche is a handling car, it made me feel good anyway. I think it is a 1996, 911.

See This Thread for the discussion regarding the S/C Grand Prix, keep in mind though, the Bonny is a larger and heavier car than the GP. You have more power and torque, with less wieght. Unless he has modified his Bonneville, the only place you will see him is in your mirrors...

The 911 is a bird of a different feather though. There are far too many different models and specs to be able to speculate how you'd fare against him; Turbo or N/A, RWD or AWD, Manual or Manumatic, Hardtop or Targa or Convertible, and then don't forget all the different GT#'s... Weight range from about the same as you (~3,500lbs) down to a low low 2000 lbs (GT1). A while back I drove an '04 Turbo X50, the thing was brutal fast - was rated at 0-60 in the high 3 second range and 1/4 miles times in the 11's - and I absolutely believe it, that car was a whole different world of speed as compared to my beloved Bullitt, too bad they are $80k+...

By the way, what the heck did he mean by 'the Bullitt would eat his lunch'??? is that a good thing or a bad thing???

·
Registered
565 Posts
Terry said:
I did allow one of my friends to drive my car and he compared it to his Porsche 911 that is pristine and he paid about 55K 4 years ago, I am not knowledgeable about the car except it is a very desirable body style. He said, and I quote, that the Bullitt would eat his lunch in a drag, but the Porsche is a handling car, it made me feel good anyway. I think it is a 1996, 911.

Pretty cool that the 30k Bullitt can be compared to an exotic 50k Porsche.

(Oh - and I think you meant that your "Bullitt would eat his Porsche for Lunch")

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.