Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is supposed to be a low key, non-attention grabbing car. :rolleyes: "Understated" was the key word used in so many reviews. NOT! Saturday night went downtown with my wife to meet some friends. Parked and before we could get out, had a few people on the street stop and come over to the car looking in the windows, asking questions etc. When we left, a guy on a Honda 900RR behind us gives me the thumbs up and yells out "Nice Bullitt, man". Stopped to get gas on the way home and the guy at the pump next to me in a new Audi A6 asks about the car and says he couldn't believe "how cool" the Bullitt is and how he's never seen one. Asks about the factory engine and suspension upgrades. "Very cool" he says. Naturally, I'm more than glad to talk about it with anyone who asks. So regardless of what magazines say how low key the Bullitt is.....this car gets way more attention than any of the late model Covettes or other cars I've owned. Cool :smile:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bob,
I think we have all experienced the same thing. It's cool to the casual observer and respected by the real car junkies and particularly mustang guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Damn, another victim of false advertising.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Wish I could say the same.

I can count on one hand (with a couple fingers left over) the number of times people have recognized what the Bullitt is and/or complimented it. Most folks around here either do not know what it is, don't know it's a Mustang due to lack of common Mustang identifiers (faux scoops, deck spoiler, grille lights, etc.), or just don't care.

Now, my wife's '08 Mustang GT/CS is another story. Every time she goes someplace, she gets compliments and looks about her Mustang. I laughingly refer to it as the 'Bling-Mobile' due to its ostentatious appearance compared to the Bullitt.

One reason I got the Bullitt was because of its low-key, stealthy profile. :wink:

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
38,487 Posts
Zeke said:
Wish I could say the same.

I can count on one hand (with a couple fingers left over) the number of times people have recognized what the Bullitt is and/or complimented it. Most folks around here either do not know what it is, don't know it's a Mustang due to lack of common Mustang identifiers (faux scoops, deck spoiler, grille lights, etc.), or just don't care.

Now, my wife's '08 Mustang GT/CS is another story. Every time she goes someplace, she gets compliments and looks about her Mustang. I laughingly refer to it as the 'Bling-Mobile' due to its ostentatious appearance compared to the Bullitt.

One reason I got the Bullitt was because of its low-key, stealthy profile. :wink:
I second that. I hardly get the time of day. A couple cops have asked about it (cops are cool, though) but other than that... nadda! Where's the pony? Where's the stripes? Where's the spoiler? What's a "bullitt?" Who's Steve McQueen? That's what I'm dealing with here. (but what would you expect from slobs whose idea of fun is throwing Milk Bones from the far end of a football stadium?) :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I get various compliments but for the most part the car does not attract attention. The only people who ask serious questions about it are usually Mustang people. When I had the red GT I was always asked if it was a Shelby. I also hated that every other Mustang I saw was a red one. The Bullitt is rare in my area, and that is the way I like it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Third. I've noticed that the Bullitt remains low-key.

Non-car people...have no clue what so ever. These are those dou*** bags on the highway reving their Neon, Eclipse, etc, at you because they think you're driving a 6 cyl.

Car people...some with the characteristics of the above, these are the curious gawkers who ask tons of questions. Remember your first time seeing a rare bird, like a Delorian?

Mustang people...they know what's up. I've only had my 5229 uncovered for 2 1/2 weeks and I've had numerous compliments and a couple of car show flyers under the wiper blade....all from Mustang people.

Jason

·
Registered
628 Posts
Around here mine gets mistaken for the law from the front, they look very similar to a Highway Patrol Charger I've seen plenty of people lay on the brakes when they see me pull out and accelerate very fast behind them. If I had a green one I doubt it would be an issue.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Zeke said:

:idea: Maybe it is not the the GT/CS that is really resulting in the compliments and looks. I have used a car as a way to start a conversation with more then a few girls. :badgrin:

Was at Sam's club last week waiting on the wife and a guy approaches and says "Nice Bullitt". He said he really wanted on when the first came out but his wife wouldn't let him get one. :eek: The guy was familiar with Bullitt and the movie and knew about the history of the car. While I don't drive the Bullitt very often, this happens quite often to me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Poor Choices

JackDW - 852 said:
Was at Sam's club last week waiting on the wife and a guy approaches and says "Nice Bullitt". He said he really wanted on when the first came out but his wife wouldn't let him get one. :eek: The guy was familiar with Bullitt and the movie and knew about the history of the car.
That guy married poorly!
I thank my lucky stars for my wife. She was behind me 100% on my B :dhg08: .
She was even snapping pictures of it as I was signing the papers!

In my area there's so much flash that my Bullitt stands out. No spoilers, scoops, stripes or big letters on the rear end (or the sides) to tell them what kind of car it is. Does anybody else get the feeling that if Ford had really marketed this, they could have sold a million of them? I've only had it two weeks but I LOVE this car! Last night my 17 year old son asked me if I could drive him and two of his friends accross town to the county fair this week...in my Bullitt. High praise indeed!
(yes, I will check their shoes before I let them in!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I teach at a high school, and this week I had a student (whom I've never taught) ask me while I was buying ice cream if I was the teacher with the cool Bullitt. That car's reputation preceeds me. And that's because I only drive it to school on Friday.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
My B gets compliments all the time, mostly from my generation. The younger generation looks dumbfounded when you tell them what it is. It's great to have someone start telling another person aout the history of the car and the movie. Went to my second car show this past weekend (and got a top 50 for both cars 67 & 08, and when the judge called out the B he didn't even know how to pronounce it. Love the car and the era it stands for.:dhg08: 5623:cloud9: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It's all about rarity...

My 98 Camaro SS (now inherited by my 21 year-old son) still gets more admiring looks than almost any car on the street. The Bullitt is relatively rare, and it stands out because of its uniqueness and very clean lines. It's a limited edition car that most people rarely get to see -- hence a lot of interest. In the five days that I've had mine, I've had many drivers pull up next to me and just look at the car. My problem now is to figure out a vanity plate that matches the intrigue of my 98 SS -- SSEEYA...:wink:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The many comments above prove a valid point. The legacy of the Bullitt is generally lost on the younger generation. They do not know of McQueen, Lt. Bullitt, the green GT, and most important of all, the chase. The age of a Bullitt owner is generally more on the older side. Two factors:
1. We recognize the "special status" of the 08/09 (thanks to the 01 for blazing the trail)
2. Cost wise, it is pretty tough for the younger set to buy a high performance muscle car (insurance/tax/gas/etc) Fact is, it is tough for the older set to buy one too ha ha ha
The current Bullitt is a double edged sword, those in the know do not need flash to recognize a very different Mustang, the rookies pass it over for the same reason, no flash.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
38,487 Posts
Dyno Don said:
The many comments above prove a valid point. The legacy of the Bullitt is generally lost on the younger generation. They do not know of McQueen, Lt. Bullitt, the green GT, and most important of all, the chase. The age of a Bullitt owner is generally more on the older side. Two factors:
1. We recognize the "special status" of the 08/09 (thanks to the 01 for blazing the trail)
2. Cost wise, it is pretty tough for the younger set to buy a high performance muscle car (insurance/tax/gas/etc) Fact is, it is tough for the older set to buy one too ha ha ha
The current Bullitt is a double edged sword, those in the know do not need flash to recognize a very different Mustang, the rookies pass it over for the same reason, no flash.
Well put, DD. :clap2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dyno Don said:

As a younger guy on the forum I couldn't agree with this more.

This was the first car I purchased for myself, and honestly I don't think you can find a better value for your money. I had been looking at a few different cars before I went with this. I was close to buying a Honda s2000, the complete opposite of this car. I'm very glad the deal I had didn't materialize.

We are owning a piece of history.

Personally, I like the look we have. It's all business. My younger brother said it best... "You woke me up this morning when you started your car..." The grin on my face made me look like a complete fool.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Totally agree. I was looking at everything from plain GT's to 350/370 Z's, used XK8's, Challenger, Mazda speed 6, etc. Luckily once I saw how relatively cheap a Bullitt was for what you got over a stock GT I had to have one. This is the only car I have ever seen that looks amazing just sitting parked on the street or in a lot, in stock form none the less. I get a smile every time I come out and see it sitting there. I am so glad I didn't go with a flashy car, this fit the bill perfectly and hasn't killed me on insurance, future repair costs, gas and so on.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Complimented for the color one day. That enabled a 'cram' session for what it represents. Many look at it twice because it fails to link to the grill they expected or the lack of badging maybe. I also seem to get recognition when walking up to it parked and someone next to me mentions the car or when watching in my rear view mirror the discussion take place when they see my plate and the faux gas cap.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts