Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Bullitt gets noticed here and there...

I'm 31 and I first saw the movie ten years ago and all I wanted was a 1968 Mustang GT Fastback in Dark Highland Green. I found a 1968 Fastback in 2005; It was white with red interior with a 302. The owner wanted $5,000. A steal, I know. The problem was I only had $3,000 and the owner was firm. I was able to secure another $2,000 a few days later, but by then, it was gone. I have no idea how much it would have cost to modify it to make it a Bullitt clone/replica, but I know it would not have been cheap. I liked the 2001 edition, but when Ford redesigned the Mustang in 2005, I knew what was coming, so I waited. I am so glad I did. Looking back, it probably would have been six of one, half dozen of another type of deal, but I am very happy with my 2008 Bullitt. If, or should I say, when I win the lottery, I will splurge and do what Chad McQueen did and get a 1968 clone built out of a Dynacorn shell with all the modern technology and equipment on board (A man can dream, can't he?). I have had to educate my nephews about the car and what it means, and they get it, after having watched the chase. My oldest nephew loves it and wants me to drive he and his friends places, which I do from time to time. The best compliment that I received was from a guy who was next to me at a traffic light. We both had our windows down and he looks over and tells me: "I gotta tell you, that car is the [email protected]#!, plain and simple." I thanked him for the compliment and when the light turned green, I got on it, to showboat a little. It is so hard not to want to showboat, considering that most people think it is simply a Mustang. If they only knew what we know, that it is so much more. Two words to explain the Bullitt: Pure Joy. :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
My 07 Mustang GT was a people pleaser, and my 08 Bullitt is a Gary pleaser.
I rarely get asked about my Bullitt, but when I do, it is someone who is excited to finally see one in person. Now that is a real complement . The Mustang is a very recognizable car that people of all ages .
Now a Bullitt on the other hand takes a real Mustang lover notice the difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I posted earlier, but I have to say that, I don't know if its only kids at the high school where I teach, several kids know about the Bullitt. I got it for the same reasons everyone else did: understated, unique looks. I have tried to lay low, but they keep picking me off. For instance, I administer college entrance exams from time to time on the weekends, and love driving my B. It was one weekend just like that that a kid left a note on my windshield complimenting the car on the parking lot. Who knows...most kids probably don't know, but when they do...they get it. I guess we need to be ambassadors of the legacy so that they can appreciate it when we're gone.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
This past weekend, I was traveling from Virginia to NC on I-77. On the exit for I-81 to I-77, I looked into a mirror and saw another 08/09 Bullitt closing up on me very quickly. I have had a number of GTs behind me before but the Bullitt was much more menacing looking. This is the first time I saw one from this angle and there is no doubting that they are not your normal Mustang. Once you see one on the read then you realize that these really do have a different look about them (especially from the front).

We cruised down I-77 until I stopped at a rest area on the NC/VA border. I would think that was a real sight for the other drivers on the road when two DHG Bullitts blast past them on that mountain road.

Now I know what I look like when on the road. My son (31 yo) and daughter (16 yo) were with me and really enjoyed this trip. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I hardly ever get someone's attention until they hear me get on the pipes.

I love looking at the expression on their face in my rear view mirror...:shock::shock::shock:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Scruffy said:
This is supposed to be a low key, non-attention grabbing car. :rolleyes: "Understated" was the key word used in so many reviews. NOT! Saturday night went downtown with my wife to meet some friends. Parked and before we could get out, had a few people on the street stop and come over to the car looking in the windows, asking questions etc. When we left, a guy on a Honda 900RR behind us gives me the thumbs up and yells out "Nice Bullitt, man". Stopped to get gas on the way home and the guy at the pump next to me in a new Audi A6 asks about the car and says he couldn't believe "how cool" the Bullitt is and how he's never seen one. Asks about the factory engine and suspension upgrades. "Very cool" he says. Naturally, I'm more than glad to talk about it with anyone who asks. So regardless of what magazines say how low key the Bullitt is.....this car gets way more attention than any of the late model Covettes or other cars I've owned. Cool :smile:
Scruffy

You must be brave to take the Bullitt downtown. The only time my Bullitt sees downtown is from my driveway here in Mt Washington. :badgrin: Which part of the 'Burgh are you from?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dodging Bullitt said:
Scruffy

You must be brave to take the Bullitt downtown. The only time my Bullitt sees downtown is from my driveway here in Mt Washington. :badgrin: Which part of the 'Burgh are you from?
I live in O'Hara/Fox Chapel area. We usually hit the South Side at the Intermission Lounge on Carson Street to catch the early show at 4:30 PM with The Rhythm Aces and Chizmo Charles, (excellent electric blues with a lot of guest walk on's to jam like Gary Belloma, Johnny Smoothe etc). It took the place of the now defunct Blue Note Cafe (Primantis) at 19th & Carson. After the show we get something to eat at Primantis, City Grill or Pipers Pub and being the boring people that we are....quickly get out of Dodge before 10:00. Lots of fun down there, but I'm getting too old for that sh*t. Parking isn't too bad at that time, and I always make sure I can see my car out the front window. If you ever get down that way you'll see my car parked on E. Carson between 19th and 20th streets. Cold one on me. :smile:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Last week in Indy, I was returning home after running a few errands in my daily driver, not a Bullitt, when I spied an HG 08/09 at a gas station.
A young guy, 20 something, was pumping regular in (first clue), and I told him "nice Bullitt, what's your number?". He just looked at me & said, "what number"? (second clue) When I told him the number on the engine strut brace, he then said "I don't remember." (third clue), we have a winner.
I told him how special his car was but I just had the feeling that to him, it was just a green Mustang & nothing more. I told him a bout IMBOC & suggested he visit the site & check it out. Hopefully, I'll meet him again & follow up. I just hope he knows his Bullitt # next time ha ha

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Dyno Don said:
Last week in Indy, I was returning home after running a few errands in my daily driver, not a Bullitt, when I spied an HG 08/09 at a gas station.
A young guy, 20 something, was pumping regular in (first clue), and I told him "nice Bullitt, what's your number?". He just looked at me & said, "what number"? (second clue) When I told him the number on the engine strut brace, he then said "I don't remember." (third clue), we have a winner.
I told him how special his car was but I just had the feeling that to him, it was just a green Mustang & nothing more. I told him a bout IMBOC & suggested he visit the site & check it out. Hopefully, I'll meet him again & follow up. I just hope he knows his Bullitt # next time ha ha
It was probably Dad's car.:smile:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I get compliments with my Bullitt. But then again, I'm down here in southwest Florida and there are lots of people from the midwest that are older and remember Steve McQueen and the movie. Lot's of car guys down here too, like myself that are retired from the automotive industry. :dhg08:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dyno Don said:
I had a somewhat similar situation at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle. My buddy Chet had his Bullitt is the R&R performance tent having them put a Hurst Shorty on and we where talking Bullitts when this guy gets in the conversation and seems to be somewhat knowledgeable, then tells us he has one. We both say, "OH- is it in the Bullitt section on the field?" "No, I didn't bring it", he says. OK- so I follow up with, "So what's your #?" He just looked dumbfounded and said, "I can't remember." Chet and I just looked at each other.
Later, I was back at my car in the lineup and the guy is walking down the row and makes a B line the other way. Guess MAYBE he doesn't have one at home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been getting a lot of compliments on mine. I was at a cruise last Friday and a guy and his son came up to me and he goes "I love it! It's such a sleeper looking Mustang." And today again today when I picked it up from the dealership, my service advisor commented on how cool the car looks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Scruffy said:
I live in O'Hara/Fox Chapel area. We usually hit the South Side at the Intermission Lounge on Carson Street to catch the early show at 4:30 PM with The Rhythm Aces and Chizmo Charles, (excellent electric blues with a lot of guest walk on's to jam like Gary Belloma, Johnny Smoothe etc). It took the place of the now defunct Blue Note Cafe (Primantis) at 19th & Carson. After the show we get something to eat at Primantis, City Grill or Pipers Pub and being the boring people that we are....quickly get out of Dodge before 10:00. Lots of fun down there, but I'm getting too old for that sh*t. Parking isn't too bad at that time, and I always make sure I can see my car out the front window. If you ever get down that way you'll see my car parked on E. Carson between 19th and 20th streets. Cold one on me. :smile:
You must be even braver taking the Bullitt to the South Side. I've had a beer bottle thrown through my rear windows there when I was driving through - had a Penn State decal in the rear window. I will only go there now riding my Harley or driving my SUV. I used to go to Primantis on Sunday nights when Tony Jamflone was playing there. I'll keep a look out for a Bullitt on Carson - and will take you up on the cold one. :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rarely a nod, only from the Ford faithful

I rarely get anyone who asks about the car.

The only people who seem to appreciate the car are the young service guys at the Ford Dealers. They are all excited when they get to take her for a spin. Even if it is only to the service bay/carwash

One young guy who wasn't the brightest though, tried to put a Focus key in my ignition.
And I was like," Hey, that's clearly not the right key!" I have my Key on a serialized BULLITT key ring.

I still remember the first time I took it in for service in June of 08, when they were still kind of rare. The mechanic wrote on my Ford Service Sheet, "Nice Car, Love the Color!"

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a good story. Where I work, there is a guard shack going into the parking lot, and the guy that works there had been eyeing my car every time I drove in. Finally, one morning when there were no cars behind me, he says to me "Your car reminds me of a car in an old movie called "Bullit" with Steve McQueen. It's a really nice car!" At that, I pointed to the Bullitt emblem on the steering wheel and when he saw it he was surprised. I informed him that the car was a special edition commemorating the Bullitt car. He was pretty surprised and wanted to ask me a few more questions, but by this time more cars were arriving behind me to go into work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Concerning the low-key, understated nature of the Bullitt, I can testify that it is indeed just that. I have had my Bullitt since June '08 in the San Diego area. I drive it every day, up and down I-15 to go to work and back, and rarely go below 80 MPH in my daily commute. I have put almost 16,000 miles on it and have not gotten a single ticket! When the police see it (unless they know what it is), it doesn't SCREAM muscle car like the GT's do. Also, has anyone noticed how most of the V6's have the racing stripes, the hood scoops, the rear spoilers? I don't know about you, but I would MUCH rather have my understated Bullitt than a flashy, no-go V6! lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brought the Bullitt to a Ford dealer for an oil change.

Service manager pulled it into the shop (10 feet). From the viewing window (like a newborn area in a hospital), I grab a seat.

Couple of mechanics come over when the hood is popped, every head disappears under the bonnet. I go to read the latest Car and Driver with the Mustang comparo...Guy with a minivan eyes me over his cup of coffee; clearly wondering why I'm not the guy with a minivan...fifteen minutes later, hot blonde service rep comes out:

blonde: Mr. Bares?
Me: Yes?
blonde: Your Bullitt is ready. (said with a smile and a hint of breathyness..)
Me: Thanks.
blonde: (Keeping eye contact) Cool car.
Me: Thanks.
blond: (slight lean in) Lets go over the checklist...
Me: Lets do that.
blond: ...and your presures were all okay. I had them vacuume it. Be sure to come back and see me.
Me: Will do.
blonde: We left it in the bay; thought you might want to drive it out.
Me: Thanks babe...
blonde: Cashier will take care of you.
Me: I'm sure she will.
blonde: See you in in three....
Me: Yes you will...

Meanwhile, the guy with the minivan has sunk a bit lower in his chair while the gal with the 4-door something-or-other seemed a bit perturbed as her car was driven out of the bay in haste and dropped out front.

Walk to the car, toss my sport coat in the back, hop in, the blonde closses the door, I fire up..rap it once...nice echo in the building...idle out to the mechanics wiping thier hands in thier ubiquitous shop rags.

And that's just a damn oil change.

This car does things to people. And I like it.
More to follow...

21 - 40 of 72 Posts