Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, wondering if it's necessary to add that expensive 'mod' to our cars. My car's PCV valve is making a rattling noise, meaning it's defective. My departed 2018 F-150 Platinum (3.5EB) had the same PCV as the Bullitt, and it started rattling at 12K miles. Replaced it, and silent again. Have 2 on order for the Bullitt. Removed the hose, inserted a finger, and it was oily inside, with about 300 miles on the clock. The one on the driver's side had minimal oily feel.

If there's a need for one, I want it to look OEM, or as close a possible. Found 2 choices.

1. The Ford Performance one, but it has to be the M-6766-A50A (the A50 doesn't fit 2019s). And my car has a harness the Ford installation sheet doesn't show, so not sure if it'd fit or not. The hose doesn't fit perfectly either, because the GT350 intake has the inlet at a different angle and it's deeper inside, so you have to stress that hose quite a bit. Plus the reservoir is very small; Ford doesn't even mention how many ounces it holds, but I'd say 1. Cheapest price I found is $160 here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6766-a50a/applications?ibanner=SREPD2 . And here are the Ford instructions: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6766-A50A.PDF . There's one for the GT350 driver's side too, but it wouldn't fit our cars anyway: https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6766-A50S.PDF . Plus no way I'd spend over $300 in that crap. Ha ha.

2. The second OEM looking choice is a bit more expensive at $200 (satin), or $220 (black), but probably the best fit, and least clutter. I checked my car, and I'd drain it without removing that cover for sure: https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-oil-separator-satin-with-single-valve-catch-can-passenger-side-kit-mustang-gt-gt350-gt350r-2015-2020/p/OILSEP87/

3. This is the best seller, I think, but for the same reason I mentioned on #1, it can't be installed in the Bullitt like the video shows, so the can would be resting at an angle over the head cover.

Bottom line is the #2 seems to be the best choice for the OCD type like me. Ha ha. But let's hear what you guys think :D. Thank you.
JC

·
Administrator
6,155 Posts
I see a lot of S550 owners who use these, and I understand the rationale. An engineer buddy of mine who works on engines said in his estimation that it is not really necessary, given normal driving. I won't pretend to understand the full implications of their use on engine longevity, but since this current 5.0L comes with both DI and PI systems, it seems logical to me that a big reason to have one is reduced.

That said, I think people like the UPR one in terms of its capacity and how it mounts.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I figured us 'old farts' (ha ha), don't really need one. I'm debating if I want to clutter my engine anymore than it already is without a real need. Also worth mentioning is the PCV valves on our engines (the same as in trucks), are prone to failure. And the way to know is when they rattle at idle. Mine was rattling when I picked the car up. Dealer didn't have any, and since I bought it out of town, just ordered a couple, and replaced it yesterday. No more rattling, so engine is as quiet as I've heard them (hope it stays that way :D). Weird that it failed in 60+ miles; it probably was defective. At any rate, now it should allow less oil into the engine. There's no way to know if we actually need a catch can unless our engine consumes oil. Yes, it could be other things, but if it doesn't, then no need to do anything. Furthermore, it only makes sense that the engine is going to consume more oil when driven hard, and since I don't plan to do that often, I might be okay without a can. I'll monitor oil consumption, and go from there. But if I feel that I need one, would buy the UPR one for sure. Even 2018+ GT owners are b*tching about that FP can, so it'd be even worse for us, with a different intake that has the inlet deeper (and at an angle) into the engine than regular GTs, meaning the 'can' sits at an angle too. With so little capacity, that can't be good, so when I saw the picture of one (the 'A' version) on a Bullitt, I immediately eliminated it from consideration. Hope my car is not an oil drinker :D.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
My son & I have JLT's on our 'Stang's (his '16 GT & my '09 Bullitt) - pretty much full per oil change window so I'd say it's worth the added cost to reduce gunkinge top-end of your $pendy motor. :D

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw a picture of one on a Bullitt, and it was hitting the head cover a little bit, which inclined the can a little bit, which is a deal-breaker for me, so I eliminated it from consideration. Unless I see a photo from a member that refutes that, I wouldn't consider it. I decided on the UPR because it's tucked away, and has more than twice the capacity of the next largest (the JLT, with 3oz vs 8), for extra piece of mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey All,
Just wanted to pipe in here. I installed the JLT Catch can on my 19 Bullitt shortly after I brought here home. Mine installed beautifully, not rubbing on anything. I don't have a picture of it installed, but if you really need it, I could take one and post it for you.
I have about 10,200 miles on my car and have changed the oil 4 times. Each time I have drained about 2 tbl.spoons of brown gunk each time. I like it and am very happy with mine. Probably not required but I'm glad I installed it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,155 Posts
Hey All,
Just wanted to pipe in here. I installed the JLT Catch can on my 19 Bullitt shortly after I brought here home. Mine installed beautifully, not rubbing on anything. I don't have a picture of it installed, but if you really need it, I could take one and post it for you.
I have about 10,200 miles on my car and have changed the oil 4 times. Each time I have drained about 2 tbl.spoons of brown gunk each time. I like it and am very happy with mine. Probably not required but I'm glad I installed it.

Hi, Zeder!! Hope your car is motoring along!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Catch can

I think I paid less than $200.00, maybe 185ish.
I'm probably OCD, been building & restoring motorcycles for almost 50 years. I'm anal about keeping my stuff running excellently!
I'm also concerned with clean & correct installations, I'm an automotive mfg. eng. The JLT fit my needs and expectations completely.
Stay safe & wash your hands !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know it works at least a little :D. The better question is if it's filtrating all it can, or not. Impossible to know, but just by looking at its guts, the UPR looks superior IMO. But the even better question would be if that's necessary or not. If the JLT is catching all that is possible, then no need for overkill. I'm surprised an 'anal' person is okay with a catch can just hanging there. Ha ha. I like my modifications to look OEM, and that certainly does not, so if I decide to install one, it'd be a UPR :).

At any rate, wanted to update my thread saying no oil consumption so far in 802 miles, and I haven't babied the engine too much (up to 5K rpm, lots of engine braking by using the tranny like a sequential, and about 180 miles of highway at 80-105). And about 50 miles of twisties between 3K and 5K all the time. So I'm not going to install one at the moment. It remains to be seen when I'm over break-in, and drive the car more aggressively. But it won't be too much more aggressive, and only once in a while, so I might not need one. We'll see :).

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Moroso. These are the one's I like. Used to use two on track cars. Easy to install (some hose cutting involved). Very easy to drain and they come apart for a thorough cleaning as needed. About $200. All metal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Yes, you need one. I use a JLT from American Muscle. Plenty of other vendors as well. The price is 159.00 and it's as simple as removing one hose and adding the catch can in it's place. After you have driven a short time unscrew the catch can and look inside. Within a month of normal driving you will have a couple of tablespoons of oil in your can. The can keeps the oil out of the heads where it can lower the life of piston rings and head parts. It's worth the money and you can always snap the factory line back in for shows. It's the one and only mod on my car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts