Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in awhile, when I get on the gas hard, I get a slight grinding noise going into third gear. This lasts for a couple of shifts into third and then it goes away. This happens on the up shift or down shift.

Also, I haven't had it happen if I turn the Traction Control off and get on it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sounds like it may be the beginnings of a syncro going south. Just had mine repaired, started out the same way and got to where I couldn't even granny shift to third without at least feeling a scrape before I broke down and took it in.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
T3650 = Crap. Allthough there are those of us who have Factory freak motors/tranny, *knock on....crap there isnt any wood*

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
sounds like a synchro...you shoulda seen the t56 i took apart today. dude couldn't drive. sounded like a box of marbels and well got it apart and litterally the whole tranny is trashed

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

What is a good replacement tranny?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If I could do what I really would like to do in this regard I would change out the 3650 to a six speed and also change out the 373s to 410s. 6 speed and 410s just seems like the ideal combination.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Dennisbaker the t-56 is a nice tranny.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have the T56. INital cost is high, but well worth it knowing the tranny is not going to take a dump on you and leave you stranded

Chad

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, third gear finally got so bad that I had to skip it from second to fourth just to get it to the trans shop.

No Bullitt until Friday, this sucks!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
i went seriously like six months without a 3rd. finally one day it just started workin and then one day on a 2nd to 4th shift the shift fork broke when the syncros didnt mesh and the shift fork dropped into the tranny and ruined everything... it was 2 grand to rebuild and started scratching only a few weeks later. they are crap tranny's your best off just moving onto something else. but like someone said some tranny's last despite all sorts of FI and racing, but mine was crap.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I spent over $1500.00 last year to have a Ford dealer repair my 3650. They did all the service bulletin repairs and replaced bearings. Well guess what, it still intermittently grinds going into third. I feel I got nothing for my money. If the 3650 dies, either I put a T56 in or I get rid of the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just got done having mine repaired- $835 included a new tail shaft housing which the previous owner (or someone doing work for them) cracked by overtorqueing a bolt, all new syncros, sliders and new ends on the shift forks. I have also changed to a Steeda TriAx shifter since then and that feels a lot more solid on all shifts. If you are still running the stock shifter I highly recommend replacing it wih an after market unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts