Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching these forums over and over again, but I can't find any thread that has working links to the death rattle's sound. Can anybody post a .mp3 or anything? When I drive, if I accelerate rather hard, I can hear a little rattling while in low RPMs, before 4k-ish. It sounds like something in the exhaust is just shaking, like maybe just the heat shield for the catalytic converter. Any thoughts? Can anybody explain what the death rattle sounds like and post a sound of it?

[EDIT]

It turns out that the death rattle is just a term for a piston slap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwpGTS04TLo

Is that what the death rattle sounds like, or does it sound more like this 300ZX?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like to me what you have is detonation! Caused by running too lean.
Correct me if i am wrong but i think this could be a valid cause!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's detonation? Also, today while filling her up, she was empty, at about 6.5 gallons in, it started leaking a little bit of gas from under the gas tank. If you look under the bottom right of the car, under where you put the gas nozzle, you'll notice a little hole surrounded by rubber (probably the fuel overflow line,) which, I'm guessing, leads to the fuel line. As I was saying, while filling up, when I reached about 6.5 gallons, it started leaking a little bit of gas. I stopped, waited, filled again, and about 4 seconds later it leaked again. It's not a lot of gas it leaked, but what can it be?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
O-ring on the filler neck ? Like stated the death rattle will only happen on a cold start while driving at 2000-3000 rpm's and generally go away by the time the temp gauge starts to move . You may have a heat shield loose on your exhaust.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DiZzyBonne said:
When I drive, if I accelerate rather hard, I can hear a little rattling while in low RPMs, before 4k-ish. It sounds like something in the exhaust is just shaking, like maybe just the heat shield for the catalytic converter.
I know it's still going on after 4000 RPMs, it's just you can't hear it after because the engine/exhaust get too loud :p. But yeah, it sounds like a rattle. What would detonation sound like, and what would be a good way to check it? Also, now that I think about it, that rattle seems to have gotten louder over the past month. Not by a lot, but I noticed it yesterday a little more than usual. Today it was the same as it was yesterday as well, so what can I do to check if my engine has detonation, and also how can I pinpoint what's causing that sound?

http://www.bullittarchive.com/7019.htm

I wouldn't know what to use and where to place it, so maybe I should just take it to a professional mechanic?

TheGreenOne said:
I Googled right after his post, but everything was to techy, I had no idea what I was reading lol. I kinda know how a piston works, but whatever lol.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The 'death rattle' occurs when the engine is cold and at part throttle operation (light load) between 2000 - 3500 rpm's or so, and it goes away after a few minutes of driving. If the noise is at full throttle at higher rpm's, it must be detonation. Detonation sounds sort of like rocks in a coffee can. This could be a lean condition, fuel problem, or it could just mean you need higher octane gas. You could try disconnecting the battery for about 20-30 minutes and reconnecting it and see if that makes any difference. If so, it probably won't help very long before it starts again. I have a stock Bullitt and still get detonation on 87 octane gas, but on 91 octane gas it runs fine. Seems there are others that have this issue also. If you cannot resolve the problem, you should have the a/f ratio checked or get it to a shop to be checked out. Detonation will kill the engine. Don't keep pushing it if it begins to detonate.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Try moving up on the octan on gas if ur putting in 87 try 89 if the rattling goes away its detonation.

Detonation sounds like u have little rocks shaken in a can. Most high milage motors get this from carbon build up with in the engine which increases compression. So the cheap fix is too move up a grade on gas.

Also try Seafoam u can get it at autozone. Works great trust me. I used it on my 96 and it runs a whole lot better. Just dont do it in ur drive way cuz it will shoot black crap everywhere...LOL

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've been using 89, and I think the rattle only started after I moved up to San Jose, after going over a big speed bump with my 275 lb friend in the car. It sounded like something hit the speed bump and fell, but it obviously didn't. If it is detonation, I've been driving with it for about 4 weeks now, is that bad? I've been driving it pretty hard too :(. So if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, but the problem is still there immediately, it's probably not detonation?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It sounds like you just knocked something loose. "It sounded like something hit the speed bump and fell, but it obviously didn't" Check the heat shields on the cats, or just get under the car somehow and check for anything that is rattling.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I went to Jiffy Lube yesterday - free coupon, read my other post :p - I went under and the guy doing the work shook the cat and it's heat shield and it didn't feel loose, but then again, he barely touched it and in like 5 seconds he said everything's fine. I'll go under the car myself as soon as I have time, hopefully today.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I do have detonation, should I be able to hear it in neutral while revving? If so, I don't, only while driving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
DiZzyBonne said:
What's detonation? Also, today while filling her up, she was empty, at about 6.5 gallons in, it started leaking a little bit of gas from under the gas tank. If you look under the bottom right of the car, under where you put the gas nozzle, you'll notice a little hole surrounded by rubber (probably the fuel overflow line,) which, I'm guessing, leads to the fuel line. As I was saying, while filling up, when I reached about 6.5 gallons, it started leaking a little bit of gas. I stopped, waited, filled again, and about 4 seconds later it leaked again. It's not a lot of gas it leaked, but what can it be?
Sounds like your o-ring may have seen its better days. I had to replace it on my
96GT. I could only put in half a tank or it would leak. Inexpensive but a pain in the butt to do it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I filled her up again today, it didn't do it, but then again, I only added $10 because I had no money. I think it was just a bad pump. Anyway, should I be hearing the rattling in neutral while revving if it is detonation? Because I don't.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you suspect pinging (detonation), drive the car in a higher gear and lug the engine at low RPMs. Temperature also affects detonation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have the exact same thing happen to me..like a small stone in a can shaking kinda noise, i have it since i did some mods light recently to my car like lower it, and changed the shifter(steeda, close shift) and replaced rack and pinion. anyways... i remember that the first days of having my car lower i hit, somewhat lightly a curb while getting out of a parking lot, wasnt use to the new lower height, i hit , and i think that since then, ive been hearing some rattle when in all gears at under 3000rpms, it goes away in high. and i can hear it loud when cars next to me at lights etc due to the echo. it kind uspets me, and i look everywhere, cant see nothing lose, or nothing hanging. i cant find where its coming from, and i think is said in a previous post on this thread, i think that it might come from inside the exhaust. i ll take it to ford to check it out. i dont feel any loss of performance, or anything.. but ill get it checked.
let me know if u find anything hommie... and ill let u know if i do on my side...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
STG said:
If you suspect pinging (detonation), drive the car in a higher gear and lug the engine at low RPMs. Temperature also affects detonation.
That's what I do when I try to have other people hear the sound. You hear it best at a super low RPM in a high gear, anything under 2000. What I've noticed though, is that at a low RPM, say 5th gear doing 40 MPH, if you floor it, it obviously very slowly picks up speed, but the rattle is slower.

blackmagik said:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have the exact same thing happen to me..like a small stone in a can shaking kinda noise, i have it since i did some mods light recently to my car like lower it, and changed the shifter(steeda, close shift) and replaced rack and pinion. anyways... i remember that the first days of having my car lower i hit, somewhat lightly a curb while getting out of a parking lot, wasnt use to the new lower height, i hit , and i think that since then, ive been hearing some rattle when in all gears at under 3000rpms, it goes away in high. and i can hear it loud when cars next to me at lights etc due to the echo. it kind uspets me, and i look everywhere, cant see nothing lose, or nothing hanging. i cant find where its coming from, and i think is said in a previous post on this thread, i think that it might come from inside the exhaust. i ll take it to ford to check it out. i dont feel any loss of performance, or anything.. but ill get it checked.
let me know if u find anything hommie... and ill let u know if i do on my side...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G
Nothing yet, I'll let you know though. As I said before, I know the rattle is still there at higher RPMs, sometimes I can still hear it at around 4000, but I have to listen VERY closely, and it's louder next to walls and other cars, due to the echo you stated.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts