Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on an off road X pipe and lost power on the dyno. The torque went way down and the HP stayed the same. I had two of my cats from the original Hpipe welded into the X pipe and it runs much better now. The acceleration is much smoother and I can fell the extra torque. Sound is good too, not as loud though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks for the info
How you been?
Haven't heard much from you lately.
Glad to see another one of the orignals is still around...

:bullitt:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I have heard that the H-pipe design doesn't lose as much torque at lower RPM. I have an O/R H coming soon,will try it and see. Could also be that some chip tuning could have gained some power with the X-pipe. Did you get a read on the A/F Ratios with the X-pipe?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Keep in mind that anytime you jack around with the exhaust, freeing it up, you have to recalibrate the computer or it will run like crap. There is a good article in the new MM&FF where they put long tube headers on a Bullitt and had to reburn the chip. They got around 35 horse and torque increase with the new combo though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bullitt#4660: So are you saying that (optimally) I'd have to ditch my STOCK chip if I went with an O/R H? My list of planned mods constantly changes as I just haven't had the $$ to spend since buying the Bullitt, and I've added or removed things from the list based on what I've read here. (And I don't want to mod it much.)

After listening to people's bang for the buck stories regarding densecharger, timing adjuster and O/R H, I'd pretty much put these 3 at the top of the shortlist. I'm not super keen on getting a chip burned afterwards unless it's really a necessity or will make a large difference in output. What do you (or anyone else) think?

In reality, I'm sure I'll drop $250 on an adjustable boost controller for my girlfriend's 1.8T 2000 Jetta before doing any of the above to the Bullitt. Damn those are some mod-happy engines! She's as excited as I am to see what that would feel like.

Joe

·
Registered
714 Posts
Funny you say that #1934, my wife also has a 2001 Jetta 1.8 turbo and we have discused throwing a chip at it to bump the HP to 210 from the stock 140.
Anyway, just from what I've been told by numerous tuners including Vortech, anytime you play with mods that change the airflow in and out of the motor, you need to have the computer flashed to get the most from the mod. How much better will it get I guess depends on the mod? This computer is a different animal than the one on my 95' Cobra. You could play with the timing via the distributor on it, on the Bullitt computers, everything goes through it.

Jay, Irvine CA
True Blue #4660
Vortech supercharged / Steeda Tri-Ax / Ford alum D/S / 30mm wheel spacer / Xenon rear spoiler

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt#4660 on 2001-11-18 11:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
451 Posts
There's a quarterly magazine on the stands now called "VW Power" which is refreshingly free of most of the sh*te that goes with the import performance scene. (Maybe because VW's are not Hondas :smile: )

It has several articles and letters about different aspects of modding the 1.8t, including chipping and a multi page write up of an adjustable boost controller. It handles the engine much as some of the ford add in products did in the past -- by modifying the signals to and from the computer rather than with a new chip or reflash. Especially with price as a factor, it seemed to me to be a viable alternative to a chip. (Who hasn't dreamed of being able to up the potency of their engine just by turning a knob on the dash! :grin: ) You might also want to check www.vwvortex.com for more info, as I guess there are several chipping options with different characteristics as well.

Thanks for the info, I'll bear that in mind when the time comes.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts