Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious...I have noticed a slight oil leak under my car, around the the filter but not the filter. It looks like there is an "oil switch" that has some discharge leaking out of it. Anybody know what this is and is it normally replaced at a ceratin mileage? It's only a drop or two over night but it's the first time I have ever had any oil leaking from "baby".

Any ideas as to what I should look at?

Ichibanbullitt.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
There is no "Oil Switch".

Sure it's Oil and not Power Steering Fluid from the Steering Rack?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would have to agree with Alan. 2445 started leaking fluid from the driver's side boot from the rack itself. Unfortunatly, if it is the rack, it will run $350 for the part from Ford, another $250 for labor to install and $50 for a front end alignment. If I remember correctly, my 96 GT had the oil pressure sending unit on the pass side of the motor, and I cannot see Ford changing where the sensor went. I could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
oil pressure sensor, is the filter tight, maybe from last oil change, oil drip? Best is to wipe it clean and monitor it hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, did the wipe thing..I change my own. I'll do it again, though. Hmm, it sure looks like oil....All ya'll with racks made a good investment. Good info guys, thanks. I'll keep looking.

Ichi

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Could it be comming from the gasket between the oil filter housing and the block?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Like 54deuce said, that thing that looks like an oil switch below the oil filter adapter is an oil pressure sending unit. They can develop cracks and leaks. It's pretty easy to change if you need to replace it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found it....rblack 4405 got it right. Thanks man! Each one of you allowed me to look at different things and different areas. Has anyone changed this out before? Is it challenging? What should I be on the look out for? Should I just go ahead and let Ford Service deal with it tomorrow when I take it in, or can I save $.

Neil

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If it's the pressure sensor, should be real easy. I would order from ford, as I would not trust the Auto Zone sensor with the computer in our car. It should have one electrical plug (unclips) and then unscrew the old one, and "installation is the reverse of the procedure".

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
ichibanbullitt said:
found it....rblack 4405 got it right. Thanks man! Each one of you allowed me to look at different things and different areas. Has anyone changed this out before? Is it challenging? What should I be on the look out for? Should I just go ahead and let Ford Service deal with it tomorrow when I take it in, or can I save $.

Neil
Have to look it up in the shop manual. Does not appear to look hard to do.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
RBlack4405 suggsted you check the oil filter gasket. Is that what it was or is it the oil pressure sensor?

When I change my oil I notice the sensor and the wires. Are the threads leaking. If so, would some teflon tape or liquid thread sealer work?

If the leak is from the sensor itself, it should be an easy R&R but some tape or thread sealer would still be a good idea.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
The gasket between the oil filter housing and the block.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Don't know if I would put any thread sealer on an oil passage. Could get gummed up in a bearing and then you would be like Justin last year. No motor and all...

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
rblack4405 said:
The gasket between the oil filter housing and the block.
???
Oil filter housing ... the can that houses the oil filter? Something else?

The gasket .... isn't that the O ring that is attached to the oil filter (housing?) that is changed every time you change the filter?

Sorry, I am not sure which part the "oil filter housing" is.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
could have worded it differently, the piece that that the oil filter attaches to has a gasket between it and the engine block.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
rblack4405 said:
could have worded it differently, the piece that that the oil filter attaches to has a gasket between it and the engine block.
OK, got it now. Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello,
I should think the item in question is covered by the initial warrenty. I would get the Ford Dealership to fix it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts