Premium Member
7,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I think that the stock Challenger SRT8 will do better once it gets the 6-speed manual.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I found the specs. These cars are really tricked out,1000 lbs.minimum lighter than a SRT8, 1/2 inch shorter wheelbase,all creature comforts deleted....YES!.... will build 100 units,to start,to satisfy NHRA requirements for Stock and Super Stock classes. Available with 3 engine choices. Price...low 30's. Not bad at all!
You know TEAM FORD,could've done this same thing years ago with any of the various Mustang platforms, for the drag race crowd.
Lil'ol Mopar comes out with the new Challenger platform and in less than 6 months,they have a drag package car out!

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Mus408 said:
I found the specs. These cars are really tricked out,1000 lbs.minimum lighter than a SRT8, 1/2 inch shorter wheelbase,all creature comforts deleted....YES!.... will build 100 units,to start,to satisfy NHRA requirements for Stock and Super Stock classes. Available with 3 engine choices. Price...low 30's. Not bad at all!
You know TEAM FORD,could've done this same thing years ago with any of the various Mustang platforms, for the drag race crowd.
Lil'ol Mopar comes out with the new Challenger platform and in less than 6 months,they have a drag package car out!
do you have a link to the specs?

Are they actually out now? Seems odd they would be since very few even have the Challenger now.

For had had a 'racing only' Mustang for some time. Order one through your dealer.

They've also had 'Drag packages' available for purchase to add on.

good luck to Chrysler, but this won't save the company.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is what I thought was so neat about it. Not that it is any better that the shelby, but that dodge is providing a car that ready for the track. I believe ford could have done this years ago but they didn't that is why we are stuck a 4.6 for 30 grand.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
RCSignals said:
do you have a link to the specs?

Are they actually out now? Seems odd they would be since very few even have the Challenger now.

For had had a 'racing only' Mustang for some time. Order one through your dealer.

They've also had 'Drag packages' available for purchase to add on.

good luck to Chrysler, but this won't save the company.

This is what I find

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0807_2009_dodge_challenger_drag_race_package/index.html

Everything else says specs and details will not be released by Chrysler until 13 July. So details should be out any minute now

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
theHULK said:
That is what I thought was so neat about it. Not that it is any better that the shelby, but that dodge is providing a car that ready for the track. I believe ford could have done this years ago but they didn't that is why we are stuck a 4.6 for 30 grand.
From what I've read so far, don't count on that Drag pack car to be $30K. More like about the same or more (depending on engine choice) as the Challenger SRT8.

and, unlike Drag pak cars of eh past, it will not be street legal.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The cars are supposed to be available late August,September.
True,they are not street legal. But,like the few 1968 Super Stock Hemi Darts,that were built,and not intended for street use,some did manage to get out on the street,for those late night blvd. runs!
I'm just surprised,that with the shape Chrysler is in,that anything like this is still going on.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Hopefully more details will be forthcoming, should be a Press release or whatnot out by now.

I'm surprised Chrysler is doing this too. These cars won't have a huge market.
those old drag cars weren't meant for the street, but they had more 'street' stuff than it sounds like hese new ones will have.
I doubt it will help them sell bread and butter cars, something they really need to do.

As a quick fix they are trying to get Nissan to build some cars for them, and in turn they will build Pickups for Nissan . Chrysler just isn't in a position to build the kind of cars they need in that category, and they may not be able to build the extra trucks to be Nissan's.
I'm not so sure of the arrangement, and neither is a Nissan dealer I know. Time will tell.

·
Car Whisperer
21,582 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.