Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to keep mice out of the engine bay when storing the car for the winter?

I have been prepping 220 for its winter nap and noticed that mice or voles have been coming into the garage and using the Bullitt intake as a picnic table and toilet. There are acorn bits and droppings on it.

Any suggestions??? This has never happened before.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
bullitt220 said:
How to keep mice out of the engine bay when storing the car for the winter?

I have been prepping 220 for its winter nap and noticed that mice or voles have been coming into the garage and using the Bullitt intake as a picnic table and toilet. There are acorn bits and droppings on it.

Any suggestions??? This has never happened before.
Place baited mouse traps on the floor underneath the car. The key thing here is to feed them before they feel the need to go up higher in to the engine bay.

It is only going to be one or two that are doing this. Once you whack one or two of them it will more than likely stop.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Moth balls should work, a few under the hood and some around the outside and under the car. They will stink but, buying a wiring harness will really stink. I had a friend that some mice destroyed a major wiring harness in his ride.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
a cat in the garage?

mothballs work well or moth ball ''flakes'' around the perimeter of teh car usulaly work against all sorts of varmints

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Already tried the traps. No luck there. Put mothballs in a plastic cup under the hood and the little SOB actually nibbled on one.

Very frustrating cause I thought those things would work.

Guess I'll have to call the exterminator.

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
Try fabric softner sheets under the hood, it is suppose to work. Also Decon mouse poison is effective, but you need to be careful if you have cats that could eat the poisoned mice. You may have more luck putting the traps along the wall of the garage where they move and run, near garage doors where they would typically be coming in. The plastic traps with peanut butter are very effective. Be persistance, check them every day and empty them, make sure to put out new peanut butter if it is gone. I have caught up to 15 mice in the fall in my garage when it starts turning colder and they decide to come in. I recently put out poison in the garage corner along the wall and this year none caught in traps in the garage. I saw a half dead one outside, the poison works, but if they get in your house or walls, you'll have a smelly problem for a while. Mice are a pain in the a$$. I have been lucky, none in any of my cars so far in the 18 years we have lived here.

One other thing, is if you have any kind of food for them in the garage like bird seed or whatever, either get it out of the garage or put it in a tight fitting container so they can't get to it, air tight would be better so they can't smell it, it will draw them in.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lee, I;ll try your suggestions next.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
some ideas: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/971125b.cfm

Use odors: Mice, like all creatures, find certain odors repellent. Ammonia and mothballs, for instance, both produce a scent that mice want to stay away from. The flip side, however, is that ammonia and mothballs also produce a scent that people want to stay away from. Luckily, there are also nice smells that mice abhor: peppermint is one of these odors. Saturating cotton balls with peppermint extract or laying mint leaves near the areas where mice invade will help keep them from coming in. Some people also swear that the smell of onions, or even planting onions in a backyard garden, is enough to help keep mice away — their odor will make them peel out.

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts
bullitt220 said:
...Guess I'll have to call the exterminator.
:bigguns:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
ROFLMAO ...:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
If your still having mouse problems, go to the feed store and get some fox urine. They sell it in small bottles. spray, dribble around the corners outside of the building and maybe under the tires of your car. Fox are natural preditors of mice and other small critters. So the little fellas tend to stay away from a Fox's lair. Do not put this stuff on your car! It smells bad! Outside is tolerable to humans, inside...well not so much. But it will keep them away.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David,

You just reminded me that I do have a bottle of fox urine here. It stopped a chipmonk problem I was having a couple of years ago.

D'uh, I forgot all about it.

I'll try that and see what happens.

Failing that, I'll have to see if Cochese can travel up to New England. :lol:

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts