Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is finally getting around to getting his Hemicuda back up and running. When put in storage,back in 1973,it was somewhat modified with the installation of Race Hemi parts,that is, the factory magnesium cross ram and matching Holley carbs,the 12 to 1 comp. pistons,Racer Brown STX-22 factory race cam,S&M dual line race oil system and pan,full comp Hemi TorqueFlite trans,4.56 geared Dana rear, and fiberglass 6 Pack style lif off hood. Other time period goodies included the cable driven S&W dash mounted tach, Super Stock rear leaf springs.
At first my feelings were to encourage him to go back to full factory trim,as factory built,but then I think back at how much fun we had with the 'Cuda running around on the street,with that wild 1400 RPM idle,and being able to run high 10's at over 125 at the track!
Other than removing the way to small light weight front brakes,and using the factory front disc,and finishing an engine refresh,we could have this thing running by the end of summer! The car is in perfect condition,paint and interior.
I say there is room in the Mopar Hemi world for a streetified racy 70 Hemicuda along with time period modifications,to enjoy on sunny weekend cruise evenings!
There are plenty of restored Hemicudas sitting around in museums!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Leave it the way it is, the engine can always be taken back to stock, I would use a stock hood, if a collector wants the car he can make it stock very easy. The original engine and running gear is priceless.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have the original Shaker hood setup. However,the Shaker won't work with the crossram intake. Plus the huge Shaker scoop was bolted,with many bolts to the carb base pan,which was always a PIA to remove for engine maintenance and tuning. At some point,we probally would go back with the inline twin AFB carbs and Shaker. The glass hood we have is the same piece used on the Sox&Martin '70 Pro Stock Cuda.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Given the history of the car the period correct mods shouldn't hurt a bit. Some of the Hemi cars are now worth a lot of money, but have been restored to the point where it's not practical to drive them. I think there's still a strong market for cars like your brothers. If you get it back on the road you will find out pretty quickly. I'm sure people are going to see it and make you offers even if you aren't trying to sell. Good luck and please post up some photos when you have it out.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Just keep the original parts, a collector will like that.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
It hasn't been driven since 1973? That's just amazing. Does he intend on selling or just getting back on the road for his own enjoyment?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Stored in '73? :eek: I can remember that! Keep as much of the goodies he put on then if you can. I think it'd be neat to see!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just as we ponder this same dilemna about the Bullitt...

Do what you like! :)

Nothin says loving like a 67 GT350 with a PERIOD fuel injected 289!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts