Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Bullittheads

ok i`m looking at buying some new rotors and pads anyone have any suggestion's
:dhg08:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok found the brakes, now i`m looking at the cinterforce D/F clutch anyone have it and how`s it working,

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
I have a D/F clutch for about 20k miles now. Grabs good and easy pedal. No on/off feel to it which is good for me.
Is that replacing the factory clutch, or another aftermarket clutch/other-than-stock clutch you installed after buying the car new?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
For street and occasional on-track days, the Brembo replacement Cobra/Bullitt calipers are a good buy for the money. If you want something that looks a little sharper and is reasonably priced with good performance, check out the Powerslot rotors. I would avoid cross drilled rotors, they have a greater tendency to crack. As for pads I used Hawk HPS pads (with the Brembo calipers) on my 94 Cobra. Your 01 has the same brakes as my Cobra had, and the Hawk pads were a noticeable upgrade on the track. I would also highly recommend the Russell full set of steel brake lines, you will really notice the difference after replacing your old rubber brake lines with steel ones. I went to a Spec II clutch, very stiff and not pleasant in traffic, I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Good Information

Thanks gentlemen for the information on both. I'm going to save this thread in my archives. Although I am far from needing them, I have been comtemplating the Russell brake lines as an upgrade.

Good advice for the brakes and clutch ... Thanks to both of you ... :smile:

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
First, I hope you did not make the same mistake I did.

But, of course, what you need depends on your application.

Are you into show, strip, road race or street performance?

I have a blast at open track days on a road course so I upgraded the brakes on my 04 GT to 2004 Mustang Cobra calipers with Performance Friction pads. THIS WAS A GOOD CHOICE AND I WILL STAY WITH IT. They are light in weight and perform very well.

Open track days require brakes to perform at race level but only for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. So Scott Hoag's advice for the brakes and pads was excellent. He has written in his column (Modified Mustangs) that these two-piston calipers give excellent bang for the buck. There is no fade in 20 minutes of "drivin' it like you stole it". The brakes remain solid and predictable with lots of feedback.

However my mistake was in the rotors. I chose Powerslot Cryo rotors which, like most others as I have learned, are cast in China. I was disappointed in the performance of the rotors which apparently are not really designed for track use.

So, based on recommendations from lotsa guys with lotsa track experience, this winter I am switching to Brembo Sport slotted rotors which are made in Italy. They are truly designed and built for track use. Expensive ... yes. But I would have saved a bunch by selecting them first. (I have been advised to avoid drilled rotors for track use.)

Four piston and six piston calipers? They may be necessary for events that go well beyond 20-minute road track sessions.

They certainly look cool with the opposing piston design and certainly are more advanced but are they necessary for anything we are likely to encounter?

Are they overkill anyone but hard core road racers? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I agree with PhotoRick's advice. It's like any mods you do to the car, it depends on the goal, street, occasional on-track events or amateur racing. Bullitts/Cobras had a pretty good brake set up from the factory, and in my case, when my rotors needed replacement, based on the feedback from Jeff Lacina and several other SVTOA guys, for what I was doing, the replacement Brembos and Hawk HPS's were more than adequate. You can spend thousands on 6 piston race calipers and never come close to needing that much brake. If you become a serious "track dog", that's a different matter. They were high on the 6 piston Wilwood calipers, 2-piece rotors, race pads etc. if you really get into it. For the street, your stock 01 Bullitt brakes are a good set up that can be easily improved with little expense. My biggest complaint about my '09 is that beyond "special pads" they used the stock GT brakes. I wish Ford had slapped the Shelby brakes on the new Bullitts. No mater what you do, I highly recommend the Russell steel brake lines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok here's a update i ordered the Bear rotors and the hawk pads, hopefully they work ok, also the centerforce d/f clutch and some 3.73 gears. in regards with the last two post i just do a little street racing here and there, just what something to play with.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The Powerslot Rotors I have were made in Canada.

They are Slotted ONLY. I too have heard bad stories about drilled Rotors of several Manufactures cracking around the holes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.