Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to hear from anyone who's driven their Bullitt in stop and go (or bumper to bumper) traffic. I know it's not exactly the Bullitt's "native habitat" :)lol: :lol:), but sometimes it can't be avoided.... at least not in my case.

How has your Bullitt taken to this environment?

3972 and I had a great time driving from Queens to the Philadelphia suburb of Bryn Mawr today. 250 miles round trip. :smile: While most of the trip was highway driving at 80 MPH (only occasionally using speed control to give my leg a rest), I drove through "classic" stop and go traffic getting through Manhattan on the way to the Lincoln Tunnel (and to the New Jersey Turnpike) for about 30 minutes this morning... and SEVERAL MILES :eek: :eek: :eek: of bumper-to-bumper traffic getting from the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel at the end of the day (followed by another 30 minute "dash" (NOT! :shock:) through Manhattan to get back to Queens.

My Bullitt seems to have handled all of this like a champ, especially since this "trial by fire" driving situation meant that I REALLY now know where the Clutch Point is! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be honest... I concentrated on NOT riding the clutch... just hitting the clutch point to give me some forward momentum and then coasting with the clutch fully depressed. But the speeds were so slow and the distances (at times) so short between starts and stops, that there were some times when I had no choice but to do so. (OKAY, YOU CAN THROW TOMATOES AT ME NOW. :lol: :lol: :lol:)

I was careful to notice when I was going downhill, which meant I could coast in neutral just using my breaks. (Boy, that was a relief.... a chance to rest both my left leg and the clutch.)

And I also got very good at not letting the clutch out too quickly. I stalled a couple of times, but recovered pretty quickly. And given how much time I spent in this traffic, I'm definitely patting myself on the back. :smile: :smile:

As I put 3972 away for the night in the garage, the only thing I wished I could do was measure what kind of shape my clutch is in.

Can anyone suggest a way to measure the health of one's clutch???

Looking forward to hearing your tales of similar driving experiences...

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Steve

PS Some pictures from today are below. :smile: :smile: :smile:

On street parking in Bryn Mawr, PA. ("Please, God, don't let that giant Dodge truck back up into my Bullitt!" :eek: :eek:)

3972 at a NJ Turnpike rest stop

3972 temporarily parked outside my apartment building in Queens... my first time parallel parking 3972! :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Actually riding around with the clutch fully depressed is not good either, as it wears your throwout bearing. What I try to do is to let a little space get between me and the car in front of me, get my momentum going, and kick it into neutral and coast. Rinse and repeat.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
helix139 said:
Actually riding around with the clutch fully depressed is not good either, as it wears your throwout bearing. What I try to do is to let a little space get between me and the car in front of me, get my momentum going, and kick it into neutral and coast. Rinse and repeat.
Thanks, Tom!

Okay... no more keeping the clutch fully depressed unless I'm shifting or starting the engine. I'll coast in neutral! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Hey Steve, it sounds like you are doing much better than I did the first week. I won't give you too much advice since I am only a few months ahead of you in Bullitt driving experience, but one thing I have learned is not to worry too much about babying the clutch. I used to baby it so much that it was part of the reason that I stalled out so much. I had to learn to use the gas pedal differently that I used it in an automatic. Don't be afraid to give it a little gas- that was something I had to get over. Congrats on the parallel parking!

I had a breakthrough today- I had to change gears quickly in traffic and my hand and foot was already making the change to the correct gear before I actually thought about it. It was a nice feeling. I am proud to say that I'm no longer a slushie (a term that I picked up from the standardshift.com forum for automatic drivers).

Parking meters :irked: - I don't miss those! It always seemed that I never had a #$^&$#@ quarter when I needed one.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
SteveNYC said:
Thanks, Tom!

Okay... no more keeping the clutch fully depressed unless I'm shifting or starting the engine. I'll coast in neutral! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Steve

The only problem I see with coasting in neutral is that you are vulnerable because the engine is disconnected from the wheels, and if you have to move in a hurry in an emergency you are hosed (at least maybe until your reaction time is better).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Steve, nice Bullitt.... now you need to post some pictures of the Bullitt doing a huge burnout. Preferably with some LEOs in the background giving a thumbs-up like the Mustang GT commercial! Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BB2008 said:
Hey Steve, it sounds like you are doing much better than I did the first week. I won't give you too much advice since I am only a few months ahead of you in Bullitt driving experience, but one thing I have learned is not to worry too much about babying the clutch. I used to baby it so much that it was part of the reason that I stalled out so much. I had to learn to use the gas pedal differently that I used it in an automatic. Don't be afraid to give it a little gas- that was something I had to get over. Congrats on the parallel parking!

I had a breakthrough today- I had to change gears quickly in traffic and my hand and foot was already making the change to the correct gear before I actually thought about it. It was a nice feeling. I am proud to say that I'm no longer a slushie (a term that I picked up from the standardshift.com forum for automatic drivers).

Parking meters :irked: - I don't miss those! It always seemed that I never had a #$^&$#@ quarter when I needed one.
Hi Ken!

Congratulations on your breakthrough! :clap: :clap: :clap: Developing those kind of reflexes is where I want to get too! :wink:

Balancing the clutch and how much gas I give is an on-going experiement for me. I'll continue experimenting over the weekend. I don't think I'll be driving 3972 on Thursday or Friday. (Thursday... tomorow... is my day for going to the DMV to register my Bullitt and pay the NY State taxes :eek: :eek: )

Thanks again for the feedback! :cool:

Good night,

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
gesner said:
Steve, nice Bullitt.... now you need to post some pictures of the Bullitt doing a huge burnout. Preferably with some LEOs in the background giving a thumbs-up like the Mustang GT commercial! Cheers

Steve, I think one of these would give you the thumb sideways!
:wink:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
SteveNYC said:
Hi Ken!

Congratulations on your breakthrough! :clap: :clap: :clap: Developing those kind of reflexes is where I want to get too! :wink:

Balancing the clutch and how much gas I give is an on-going experiement for me. I'll continue experimenting over the weekend. I don't think I'll be driving 3972 on Thursday or Friday. (Thursday... tomorow... is my day for going to the DMV to register my Bullitt and pay the NY State taxes :eek: :eek: )

Thanks again for the feedback! :cool:

Good night,

Steve
I'm still experimenting 3 months later- you wanted this just like I did, so you'll get there.

NY taxes :irked:- I don't miss those either.

Take care,
Ken

·
Registered
158 Posts
BB2008 said:
The only problem I see with coasting in neutral is that you are vulnerable because the engine is disconnected from the wheels, and if you have to move in a hurry in an emergency you are hosed (at least maybe until your reaction time is better).
Just keep an eye on your mirrors and you should be fine. I'm generally ready to pop it into gear in a split second anyways. In stop and go traffic there is usually no situation where you need to move in a hurry (nor any place to go). Throwout bearings are not made for constant engagement, though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't stay in neutral, as your taking away any quick options you might need. I drive in traffic all the time and always have and have never worn out a clutch. I think you are over worrying a problem that won't exist. In traffic, I'm in first or second and either rolling along or using the clutch to modify my speed. Have never had a problem in over 50 years of driving standard. Yup, I'm one of those old farts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
BB2008 said:

Now you're in the groove. Congatulations. It should come as naturally as picking up a phone when it rings. No thoughts involved.

·
Registered
149 Posts
SteveNYC said:
I'm curious to hear from anyone who's driven their Bullitt in stop and go (or bumper to bumper) traffic. I know it's not exactly the Bullitt's "native habitat" :)lol: :lol:), but sometimes it can't be avoided.... at least not in my case.

How has your Bullitt taken to this environment?

3972 and I had a great time driving from Queens to the Philadelphia suburb of Bryn Mawr today. 250 miles round trip. :smile: While most of the trip was highway driving at 80 MPH (only occasionally using speed control to give my leg a rest), I drove through "classic" stop and go traffic getting through Manhattan on the way to the Lincoln Tunnel (and to the New Jersey Turnpike) for about 30 minutes this morning... and SEVERAL MILES :eek: :eek: :eek: of bumper-to-bumper traffic getting from the NJ Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel at the end of the day (followed by another 30 minute "dash" (NOT! :shock:) through Manhattan to get back to Queens.

My Bullitt seems to have handled all of this like a champ, especially since this "trial by fire" driving situation meant that I REALLY now know where the Clutch Point is! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be honest... I concentrated on NOT riding the clutch... just hitting the clutch point to give me some forward momentum and then coasting with the clutch fully depressed. But the speeds were so slow and the distances (at times) so short between starts and stops, that there were some times when I had no choice but to do so. (OKAY, YOU CAN THROW TOMATOES AT ME NOW. :lol: :lol: :lol:)

I was careful to notice when I was going downhill, which meant I could coast in neutral just using my breaks. (Boy, that was a relief.... a chance to rest both my left leg and the clutch.)

And I also got very good at not letting the clutch out too quickly. I stalled a couple of times, but recovered pretty quickly. And given how much time I spent in this traffic, I'm definitely patting myself on the back. :smile: :smile:

As I put 3972 away for the night in the garage, the only thing I wished I could do was measure what kind of shape my clutch is in.

Looking forward to hearing your tales of similar driving experiences...

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Steve

PS Some pictures from today are below. :smile: :smile: :smile:

On street parking in Bryn Mawr, PA. ("Please, God, don't let that giant Dodge truck back up into my Bullitt!" :eek: :eek:)

3972 at a NJ Turnpike rest stop

3972 temporarily parked outside my apartment building in Queens... my first time parallel parking 3972! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Car looks great sitting at a meter. NOW,,Tint your windows for that sinister badass look.
George

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
get to the gym and work the leg press...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
SteveNYC said:
1. jack up car
2. remove drive shaft
3. support engine from bottom
4. unhook any peripherals from transmission
5. remove transmission
6. remove clutch plate
7. mic clutch plate
8. call Ford and get spec on orginial thickness of factory clutch plate
9. do the math
10. reassemble
11. throw any extra parts away and forget about them
12. post results on new IMBOC thread
13. turn off that annoying alarm clock
14. make coffee and laugh that this was all a whacky dream of a newly baptized Bullitthead :wink:

:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
LMAO!

Driven a clutch car and or truck since 67. Never replaced a clutch, even when I drove for many, many years in heavy stop and go traffic. I even had a car that had over 100K miles and I never had to replace the brakes either. All, stop and go commuter traffic. Relax, enjoy the ride! You will get there, along with everyone else.:wink:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
gofstr455 said:
Don't stay in neutral, as your taking away any quick options you might need. I drive in traffic all the time and always have and have never worn out a clutch. I think you are over worrying a problem that won't exist. In traffic, I'm in first or second and either rolling along or using the clutch to modify my speed. Have never had a problem in over 50 years of driving standard. Yup, I'm one of those old farts.
I'd have to agree and I've never repaired or replaced any clutches either. I do not like coasting in nuetral in traffic because if I'm moving at all and I need 1st gear it will GRIND like all get out. I can actually go pretty darn slow in this car with the clutch out in 1st with next to no gas and not stall it. Otherwise clutch is in when I need to creep along....

Steve it sounds like all is well. Nice parallel parking job BTW!! Just except it, our left legs will always be stronger than our rights :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
MustangLynda said:
I'd have to agree and I've never repaired or replaced any clutches either. I do not like coasting in nuetral in traffic because if I'm moving at all and I need 1st gear it will GRIND like all get out.
Coasting is fine. GRINDING is not. If you have grinding, either your doing something wrong:frown: , or the car is needing some attention/adjusting.:eek:

I don't drive the 08, but the 01 can start in third from a dead stop. Imho, if you are already rolling in traffic, go for second not first gear.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Steve,
Many years ago, early 90s perhaps, I was caught in a bumper-to-bumper jam on the West Side Hywy heading towards the GW Bridge. I was in my '85 Mustang GT and forced to literally crawl for about a mile in hot weather. Besides the pain in the left leg, the clutch "went away" after about 15 minutes and starting slipping badly (lotsa revs, little forward movement).
Made it up to the Bridge, past the traffic and crossed over. Once the clutch plate was able hook up again at speed the slippage was gone and no sign of that problem returned for the rest of that clutch plate's life (about 95,000 miles).
Relax, and enjoy the ride.
Hesh

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.