Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a new thread dedicated to driving routes around North America and the World. I have enjoyed driving on some very scenic and in some cases very challenging roads over the years.

This thread is not about which is the best route or 'if you like that, how about this route..." but more a repository of routes for future reference that someone may be interested in traveling if they are "in the area".

One of the best parts of a Bullitt National Event are the drive routes planned as part of the schedule. I will initially post only one Bullitt Nationals route, hopefully others will post routes experienced over the last fifthteen years.

Moderators, I could not find an appropriate forum other then 'World'. If there is a forum that is more fitting, please move this thread.

·
Car Whisperer
20,670 Posts
sounds like a great idea!!! thanks!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Furka Pass - Switzerland

Kathy and I had the opportunity to drive this route back in September 2014.

One basically drives down one mountain, through a long valley and up another mountain. Total drive is about 20+ miles (32 km).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furka_Pass

The chase scene from Goldfinger was filmed at this location.

The switchback in this photo is one end of the Pass.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Car & Driver/Road and Track Evaluation Route - Gregory, MI

Located just west of Hell Michigan, this is a 13 mile route that both Car & Driver and Road and Track magazines (along with the local Detroit car manufacturers) use for evaluating vehicles.

The Bullitt Nationals has featured this route twice during the 2014 and 2017 events.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-10best-cars-our-test-route-and-what-it-tells-us-feature

Along the North Territorial Road section, is a nice Road House called the Inverness Inn. Great location for a beverage and food break.

Before preceding on this route, a stop in Hell is required.

[URL=http://s639.photobucket.com/user/bullitt4003/media/DSC_0073_zpsuhom4r1n.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s639.photobucket.com/user/bullitt4003/media/DSC_0060_zpstq0d95p0.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Reference the 2014 & 2017 Bullitt Nationals route maps, but this route is, again east of Hell, MI. Doyle Road is the northern road, North Territorial is the southern road with Patterson Lake/Glenbrook/Hankerd Roads to the east and Hadley/Unadilla Roads to the west.

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
There are no good driving routes in Oregon. All the highways are clogged with traffic backed up by slow moving motorhomes.

·
Car Whisperer
20,670 Posts
those Switzerland photos and roads look amazing!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are no good driving routes in Oregon. All the highways are clogged with traffic backed up by slow moving motorhomes.
Thanks for your feedback. That narrows down driving enjoyment for the rest of us to the other 49 States, Canada, Mexico and the Rest of the World.

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
All?? As in, you've traveled them all and marked them off?? :)

I say, find me some scenic roads and post them up!

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
Okay..pick any Oregon road leading from the Willamette Valley over a mountain pass. As long as it's not an interstate, you'll find twisties. valley to the coast, valley to central Oregon, doesn't matter. Over the coast range or over the Cascades. Lots of pretty. Alas, you WILL find these roads clogged with slow moving motorhomes...very few passing areas.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I'll chime in here. A few memorable drives for me are:

The Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia, Canada - a very scenic Atlantic Ocean coast drive, especially on a sunny summer day. Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia, Canada

The Pacific Coast Highway in California - again, a scenic coastal drive along the Pacific Ocean. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/california-pacific-coast-road-trip/

Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - did this drive many years ago as a kid with my family. Came to a road block where lava had flown over the road just the day before. Got to stand on one-day-old lava. Pretty cool. https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

Reactions: Bullitt4003

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
One of my favorites is State Road 89A in Arizona. It goes from Prescott to Flagstaff. The most memorable stretch was heading south out of Jerome where they had a sign "no vehicles longer than 30'". It would have been more fun in something other than a 1987 Taurus station wagon, but it was pretty neat anyway. The drive through Oak Creek Canyon is a rather scenic part of that route, too.

One road you'll NEVER catch me on is North Yungas Road in Bolivia. Here's the Top Gear (original guys) taking that route:

·
Car Whisperer
20,670 Posts
not sure, but I think it was 135 thru the Ozarks that Jim and I took one time from one of the Nats after leaving St.Louis,MO. very twisty, reminded me of the Tail. BTW, Nats wasn't in St. Louis, A friend lives there and we left the Nats and went to see him, then headed south to come back to FL. It was probably the Indy Nats. only other one that far west for me was Tulsa.

Reactions: Bullitt4003

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Valley of Fire State Park - Nevada

There are several scenic roads at the Valley of Fire State Park - Nevada. The park is located about 1 hour's drive Northeast of Las Vegas.

Valley of Fire State Park | State Parks

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Okay..pick any Oregon road leading from the Willamette Valley over a mountain pass. As long as it's not an interstate, you'll find twisties. valley to the coast, valley to central Oregon, doesn't matter. Over the coast range or over the Cascades. Lots of pretty. Alas, you WILL find these roads clogged with slow moving motorhomes...very few passing areas.
Got a photos of any of these?

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
Not really, but on any East-West running road over the Cascades or Coast range, you'll see mountains, trees, rivers, that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
On 2nd thought...here's one. If you can't read the sign it says that no vehicles over 35 feet are allowed. This because the turns are so tight, long vehicles can't negotiate them. The corner the car facing in the pic marked 25 mph is to be considered a high speed sweeper on this stretch of road.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts