Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty jazzed reading about the adaptive spark technology until I got to thinking....."hey, a knock sensor does the same thing, doesn't it? And they've been around forever". Am I wrong on this? Or is AST just a FoMoCo marketing code word for 'knock sensor'? And if so, why wouldn't they have been on all Mustangs for the last 10 years or so? What do you guys think? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
No, a knock sensor may play a part but it's not the same thing. Otherwise every new vehicle that uses knock sensors that is tuned for Premium could run Regular fuel without problem. That isn't the case.
A knock sensor alone will not increase torque, as the Bullitt will with Premium, but will pull some timing to prevent/decrease spark knock and pre-ignition damage..

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
RCSignals said:
No, a knock sensor may play a part but it's not the same thing. Otherwise every new vehicle that uses knock sensors that is tuned for Premium could run Regular fuel without problem. That isn't the case.
A knock sensor alone will not increase torque, as the Bullitt will with Premium, but will pull some timing to prevent/decrease spark knock and pre-ignition damage..
Both my 2005 Acuras are premium fuel vehicles and I ran them on 87 octane at an altitude of 1500 to 3000 feet regularly. Ran perfectly. Explain why.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
onefastbob said:
Both my 2005 Acuras are premium fuel vehicles and I ran them on 87 octane at an altitude of 1500 to 3000 feet regularly. Ran perfectly. Explain why.
They were tuned for 87

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
onefastbob said:
Wrong, says premium all over both cars and they both have in excess of 10:1 compression. Uhhh, it's the knock sensors and the tune.:rolleyes:
then your knock sensors were over worked, and the tune was for low grade premium.
There are engines of that compression ratio that will run fine on Regular. The Ford Y-Block was one of them. It's partly in the head design.

Re the Bullitt. read my post again

RCSignals said:

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
RCSignals said:
then your knock sensors were over worked, and the tune was for low grade premium.
There are engines of that compression ratio that will run fine on Regular. The Ford Y-Block was one of them. It's partly in the head design.

Re the Bullitt. read my post again
I read your post and you are talking out of those cheeks you sit on. The Ford Y block was around in the early 60's 292 312 etc. didn't have knock sensors. Pretty much anything over 10.5:1 will require premium unless it has knock sensors. Your turn!:confused:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
onefastbob said:
I read your post and you are talking out of those cheeks you sit on. The Ford Y block was around in the early 60's 292 312 etc. didn't have knock sensors. Pretty much anything over 10.5:1 will require premium unless it has knock sensors. Your turn!:confused:
wrong. The Y-block was around in the '50s. Didn't have knock sensors, the 312 especially for 1957 had high compression heads but would run on regular, even though Premium was recommended. It's in the head design.

My Marauder, which has knock sensors, with a 93 Premium tune will knock burning 92 octane fuel.

Your turn!

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
RCSignals said:
wrong. The Y-block was around in the '50s. Didn't have knock sensors, the 312 especially for 1957 had high compression heads but would run on regular, even though Premium was recommended. It's in the head design.

My Marauder, which has knock sensors, with a 93 Premium tune will knock burning 92 octane fuel.

Your turn!
If it knocks on 92 octane it's messed up or you didn't get 92 octane.(probably an EGR or carbon build problem). Actually I had a 292 in a 1963 Ford Galaxie (real POS). You are wrong and the fine is $10.00, please remit to my address.:wink:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Yes 1963 would have been about the last year for the Y-block, if not 1964.
First year being 1954.
After 1957 the 312 was dropped from the Ford line (retained as the smallest engine for Mercury), and the Y-block 'detuned'.
The Y-block was a great engine, and interestingly has had a resurgence of interest in recent years.

As for an EGR and or carbon build up problem, no on either.
The 92 is 92, I wish it were 93

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
RCSignals said:
Yes 1963 would have been about the last year for the Y-block, if not 1964.
First year being 1954.
After 1957 the 312 was dropped from the Ford line (retained as the smallest engine for Mercury), and the Y-block 'detuned'.
The Y-block was a great engine, and interestingly has had a resurgence of interest in recent years.

As for an EGR and or carbon build up problem, no on either.
The 92 is 92, I wish it were 93
My 292 dropped a valve and stuck a con rod through the cylinder wall. Only engine I ever scattered in my almost 40 years of driving. 70 mph then tick tick rattle rattle knock knock and then boom.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
onefastbob said:
My 292 dropped a valve and stuck a con rod through the cylinder wall. Only engine I ever scattered in my almost 40 years of driving. 70 mph then tick tick rattle rattle knock knock and then boom.
70 in second?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
My '57 with 312 and 3 speed OD could really wind out. I'll see if i can find the Ford recommended max speed in each gear. They were pretty high.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
onefastbob said:

Maybe rice burns hotter? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
onefastbob said:
What kind of stupid a$$ comment is that? If you can contribute to the thread contribute. I'll drive what I want.
It was all in good fun. Lighten up- you'll live longer. I don't give a flying flock what you choose to drive.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
BB2008 said:
It was all in good fun. Lighten up- you'll live longer. I don't give a flying flock what you choose to drive.
No problems here. I don't care if you give a flying flock (sheep?) or not. I used the Acuras as an example to illustrate my point. Don't make any difference if it's Acura or Cadillac or Corvette or BMW. I, as you also drive a Bullitt, not a great car especially, but a fun and fairly fast car. Also I would never post anything here that I wouldn't say to you in person.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
onefastbob said:
What kind of stupid a$$ comment is that? If you can contribute to the thread contribute. I'll drive what I want. My Yamaha runs on rice the Acuras did not.
Acuras get the good stuff ... Saki :neutral:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts