Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank all of you Bullittheads for how much I've learned from this site in the last 4+ months since I joined. Now for my question: I've read on several posts of people putting wheel spacers on. What are they and what is the advantage of having them? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the next question is, is this about show or performance?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Tracy,
It's all about show, but the improved cornering is a nice plus. Maximum Motorsports uses them on their road race car for this reason.
In the looks department, my only other option was to buy wider wheels...Too expensive. But I had to get rid of the "Mustang rear-end overbite"

Black#5578
SteedaTri-Ax,DensChrgr100mm,MAC highflow "H",FordRcng3.73's & Alum.Drvshft,rear mudgrds,30mm H&R spacers rear whls,AutoLogic chip,MGW shifter & Haney ring

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis on 2001-12-06 10:52 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
What it really needs is a pair of 17 X 9 inch wheels and something like 275 X 40 tire back there for looks and function. Any Bullitt look alike wheels that size,that the stock center cap will fit?

·
Registered
309 Posts
An addendum question: How much spacer is too dangerous? I know spacers put strain on the bearings, but is there a safe size to go with that will push off the overbite but won't give that "bent axle" look or damage the bearings?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Spacers need to fit and support the axle studs correctly,or bent,broken studs will be the result,don't use those cheap sloted things. Happened to me one time!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this is all very interesting. Thanks to all of you for your $.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
very nice pics Dennis!!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Here is a question related to the spacers: When re-installing the wheels, should the lug nuts be torqued?? A friend of mine told me that whenever a wheel and tire is removed, be sure to torque the lug nuts when re-installing. I was telling him that when I removed my front brake rotors (on my Olds Aurora)to have then re-surfaced, 2 weeks later they were pulsating again when I applied the brakes. Since he owns an auto shop (and is a Mustang enthusiast as well), I asked him why the rotors are pulsating already. Well, he said that because I did not torque the lug nuts, un-equal pressure is put on the brake rotors causing them to wear unevenly. He said I should torque the lug nuts on the Bullitt too........anyone heard this before??

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Dave,
Regardig wheels and spacers I think the term you're looking for is RETORQUE...Meaning that any time you place a wheel back on the car you should RE-tighten the lugs to whatever tightness floats your boat about 100 miles after the install due to the chance they may have backed out some.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Spacers and wheels should be re-torqued to 95 ft. lbs. in a star pattern.

John

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. I always do "re-torque" my wheels (especially aluminum), but my buddy was saying to use a torque wrench anytime you put the wheel back on....probably is a good idea anyway. I just never heard that NOT torqueing your wheels would cause the brake rotors to warp.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I repolished #312 with "Mother's Glass Finsh" today, and as I was, I took the wheels off to clean the insides of each. While I did, I placed some 5/16" spacers on the back from "Rally." They look great and have plenty of lug nut space. I burned them earlier, embarassed a few boys, and parked it in the garage with a larger diameter for only $16 dollars!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts