Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm reaching here, but...

My Wal-Mart Sony DVD player sometimes freezes or gets lost. It seems to happen more often at the ends of longer movies, but I could be imagining that. I recently tried to watch a brand new DVD of American Grafitti and we could not see the final drag race scene for anything because the player would simply freeze. Nothing I did would "unstick" it. Some of the menu features wouldn't work, either ("dirty disc" message, but the disc was clean).

Is this a player problem or a disc problem? Where on the 'net can I go to find the answer?

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
your first words explained it....Walmart.
Walmart is the scourge of the world...and in their forced/manipulative push for constantly lowered prices from their vendors...well....you get what you pay for.

Sounds like a player problem to me, especially given consistancy across different DVD's. Is it new and can be returned? Otherwise, players aren't that expensive anymore...probably be cheaper to just go buy a new one as compared to sending it out to be repaired.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BULLITT3230 said:
your first words explained it....Walmart.
Walmart is the scourge of the world...and in their forced/manipulative push for constantly lowered prices from their vendors...well....you get what you pay for.

Sounds like a player problem to me, especially given consistancy across different DVD's. Is it new and can be returned? Otherwise, players aren't that expensive anymore...probably be cheaper to just go buy a new one as compared to sending it out to be repaired.
I hate Wal-Mart as much as the next guy. I was shopping for a Sony player because the rest of my system is Sony. I wanted a basic player, but all I could find on the 'net were multi-disc units, progressive scan units, and other bells and whistles I had no use for. I "never" look to Wal-Mart for electronics, but I had a "what the hell" moment and found exactly what I was looking for, there - a basic, single-disc Sony player for under a hundred bucks. I figured since it was a Sony, the Wal-Mart factor wouldn't effect me. There's not a Wal-Mart version of Sony and a Circuit City version of Sony. Sony is Sony, right? Sony used to be a solid name in electronics - is that no longer so?

I tend to think it's the player because again, if there is a trend, it's for longer movies to act up towards the end. Maybe my unit isn't tracking properly towards the outside edge of the disc.

I was hoping someone could point me towards someone or some site that has more difinitive input on this problem. Finding a repair center around here is out of the question, but I don't want to buy a new player until I am certain mine's bad.

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
Can't help you with the fix info.....

But, to answer the other question.....don't ever think that just cuz it's a name brand at Walmart that the quality is the same....Sony is NOT Sony relative to it being the same product or quality of its internal components. I have read an awful lot about Walmart in the business trade journals....and they use insidiously strong arm tactics to force vendors to continually discount their products. The vendors only recourse is often to...no surprise here...use cheaper components. An assembly line can very easily and quickly be run for a specific targeted buyer. It often becomes a calculated risk for the vendor managing between providing a product at a level they can still make a profit from the buyer, with degraded goodwill for their name due to decreased quality.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Can't help you with the DVD player problem, but could comment on the quality of SONY...I had a 92 Civic that I bought new(no longer have)...I had a SONY CD player installed at Circuit City...The player lasted about five years and then the problems started..First, the cd stop playing..Next, FM Band stop working...All I had was AM radio...I got the last laugh when someone broke into the car at work and stole the sucker!!!!Insurance paid for a new CD radio and player...I made the mistake of leaving the windows cracked just a little so the heat wouldn't bulid up inside...The thief just forced the window down and opened the door..SONY quality might be better now, but they're still more money than other brands.....

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would say it is a laser alignment problem. I had a mitsubishi dvd that had a similar prob. got a new one and it never happened again. Probably just a bad dvd player. get a new one. I don't know about Wal-Mart selling inferior products. I don't shop there.

Sony is still good. I think Toshiba is more reliable though. I have a first edition dvd player that is Toshiba and it still works great. I have a Toshiba vcr that is over 10 years old and still works great. My Samsung dvd player works great. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I agree on the laser alignment problem. Either that or dust on the laser lens. Try blowing the insides out with compressed air. I would just trade it back for a new one myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts