Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I did:

1. Clean the decal under the hood with plain water.

2. Dry it with a soft towel.

3. lay a piece of newspaper or a paper towel over the fuse box so it will not catch any over spray.

4. Buy a can of Krylon clear. I do not recomend any other brand! Krylon is good stuff and it dries quick.

5. I sprayed the decal with four light coats of clear. I let each coat dry at least 30 minutes in between light coats. I put the fourth coat on the next day. I stress light coats. No need to coat it heavy.

6. Now you can wash the decal with regular soap and water and nothing will rub off. Do not use any cleaner's with any petrolium content and you should never have any trouble with the type rubbing off.

7. I steam clean my engine about once a month with plain rinse water and have been doing this for three months now. I have done this for years with all my other cars. I have never had any trouble with the Bullitt decal and plain water. If you steam your engine off once a month it will never get dirty unless some mechanic gets grease on something, otherwise your engine will look new for the life of the car. If you let dust and dirt build up under the hood then you have to use a chemical product to clean the engine. If you never let the underhood area get very dusty or dirty then there is no need to use any type of chemical to clean under the hood. Hence the once a month trip to the local steam clean car wash.

Teddy Katz Bullitt#60

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tskatz on 2001-08-05 10:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great idea! Any fear of the Krylon reacting to the heat build up? Further, I am relatively new at this, and never heard of steaming the engine....what exactly do they do during that process? Thanks for illuminating a newbie!

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the Krylon will be fine. The worst that could happen is that it could yellow over several years, and I am not even sure it would do that. Your whole car is covered with a clear coat. It could be lightly buffed with a non petrolium product. "Very lightly" if that happened. The steam clean is nothing but rinsing the engine off at the local high pressure car wash with no chemicals, just use plain water or the setting marked "rinse". You don't have to even hold the hose very close to the engine. If you are dealing with a new, clean engine it will stay that way with just a rinse of high pressure water from time to time. If for some reason your engine developed an oil leak over the years that would have to be fixed or you would have the begining of a very dirty engine compartment as dirt will stick to oil very easily.

Teddy Katz Bullitt#60

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tskatz on 2001-08-05 16:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are there any precautions that need to be taken, i.e; Covering any exposed electrical, or shielding the battery? I would very much like to keep my engine compartment looking new, but would not want to damege anything as well.

Thanks for the info in advance!

Joe Schwartz
Bullitt #238

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just cover the fuse box next to the decal. You are going to be spraying a very small amount of clear. Put it just on the decal and the small surounding area. Make sure you give it 30 mintues between coats and do not try to do it when it's windy. I did mine in a closed garage. You are going to be spraying a very small amount of material. I did it with a hot engine compartment. The clear dries that much quicker. Don't spray anything but the decal and spray it very lightly. Don't have any open flames near by. Just use common sense. Krylon sprays in a very small pattern. Test it on a piece of card board first to get the hang of the spray can if you doubt your abilities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts