Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR with 2500 miles. He is asking $2900 which is considerably under KBB price. His feedback is only 6 (100%) but dates back to 12/03. His posting required that you email him to be added to the authorized bidding list. I emailed with information about the bike and here was his reply:

Hello there,

Thank you for your interest in my 2004 Honda CBR 1000 RR. I want you to know that I closed my auction earlier because someone offered me the buy it now price, but didn't have all the money available and I can't accept finance him. The price I wanna get for the bike is $2,900 US.

The bike is like new, completely working, perfect running condition,with no hidden damages or accidents, it has always been garage kept, very low miles, no flood or storms affected, never been raced, laid down and it has been driven only in the weekends on sunny days, never saw a drop of rain. It will be as if purchased locally.The bike is insured in case of damage and you will receive it to your address in 5 working days. It will come with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, warranty documents, user's manual,insurance etc). The title is clear and you will be able to register the bike in your state without any problems. The reason I'm selling my baby is because we're moving and we can't take it with us .
I am requesting a $2,900 refundable payment at the beginning of the shipping. If you are not 100% content with the bike you will be able to return it and get your money back from eBay(guaranteed by eBay). However, I am sure it won't happen, because the bike is as i've described it and you'll have no reasons not to be content with it.
We will use eBay Motors as a third party. First you will make the payment to them and you will send the receipt to eBay. Please note that eBay will hold your payment of $2,900 until you will confirm that you've received, inspected and decided to keep the bike.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, eBay ID, home and shipping address, so I can register the transaction with eBay asap.

...waiting for your fast answer, Dustin Daniel.
What do you think about this, and how should I proceed?

Bike is in Louisville, KY and I am in Texas.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I got on an airplane with a bank check. Flew to Florida. Paid the man with the check AFTER I inspected the Bullitt. Drove it home. That was last March. This is February and a bike is a little different. Maybe borrow a Super Crew :)wink:)and drive there? I have done the same with other bikes that I got for basically nothing in Ohio. Drove back here with the bike in the back tied down to the bed. Sold em for more than I paid...

If this is bogus, your only out the cash for travel.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lots o typos and grammer errors too hmmmmm.... and its a 6-7 thousand $ bike !

And whats this about "If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, eBay ID, home and shipping address, so I can register the transaction with eBay asap."

Also it looks as if only "passenger cars" are covered under the ebay program..

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Yes, you must see and ride the bike , just as you would with a car. The price sounds low to me. The weather may be a bit nippy for a test ride in Louisville but you gotta go.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
If you fly up tp KY, see it, ride it and like it, you can leave it in a secure storage facility till you can drive up and bring it back.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
PhotoRick said:
There are two others on ebay now, one at 4600 and the other for 8500 buy it now.
If that's the others, kinda makes this too good to be true. And if it is too good to be true, maybe it just is. I didn't do a check on the bike, I suppose a look at the Bike Trader would do...:frown:

·
Registered
641 Posts
That price is WAY too low to be true. Even if it had a salvage title, a running CBR1000RR would go for more than that as a track only bike. Proceed VERY cautiously here Dee.

On another note, how much riding experience do you have? Please tell me the 1000RR isn't going to be your first bike. They are wicked fast and can bite the uninitiated.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bullitthead Ag said:
That price is WAY too low to be true. Even if it had a salvage title, a running CBR1000RR would go for more than that as a track only bike. Proceed VERY cautiously here Dee.

On another note, how much riding experience do you have? Please tell me the 1000RR isn't going to be your first bike. They are wicked fast and can bite the uninitiated.
It would be my first. :) I will eventually want a 1000 or bigger, so why buy smaller? I know that the liter bikes are deadly powerful so I would just have to take it easy. If you have ever seen me drive my car you will see that I am a very cautious driver. Even the 600s have more than enough power to be deadly and I'm certainly not buying a 250.

I'm only toying with the idea of a sport bike anyhow. Stacy would rather that I get a cruiser, but my brother just bought a zx10r and it has got me thinking.... If I were buying new I would go all the way to the 1300s, but this deal looked good and tempted me.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Dee, do yourself a favor and don't buy a 1000cc bike for your first bike, especially not a 1000cc sport bike. It's way too easy to let the power get away from you. Start with something smaller, like a 600cc or 750cc.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
A 750 is plenty of bike. I have owned motorcycles since 1969 and was involved in racing for a while.

All it takes is a little too much throttle with one of these crotch rockets on a curve/turn and the bike can "high side" you, launching you right off the bike into the path of other traffic.

There just isn't a need for so much power. Go for a performance cruiser, even a big one, any you will have a safer ride.

Just one man's view,
Rick

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
First time rider in this metromess and your looking at a liter bike! OMG, what are you thinking? And yes I see your driving. But it isn't necessarily your riding style, it is also your experience in and around others. On sand, gravel in intersecitons. People that don't see you. Get real, get some experience. Buy one of those throw away bides from China. 400 cc for about $1500. It ought to run a year's worth of riding, and when it dies is when you start looking at tame liter bikes.

BTW, the little bikes from China aren't bad. I just don't know how good the parts supply for any repairs are going to be. So I figure about 20K miles and it should be finished around here.

My first bike was a 185 cc Suzuki Enduro. Then to a Honda 500 cc four cylinder. Then a 650 cc four. And finally a 750 Yamaha with fairing and shaft drive. I rode each one at least one year except the last I kept 12 years and rode about 133K miles. Please, work your way up the food chain. I had too many friends that didn't, and now they aren't.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've got to echo these other guys Dee. First take a motorcycle safety course. THEN, start looking for a bike. Buy something smaller and used as your first bike. if you really want a sportbike, get a used CBR600 F2 or F3 as your first. Put at least 5000 miles on it and then take the MSF advanced riders course. The 1000cc bikes make over 150hp now. It doesn't matter if you use restraint while you are learning, a bike that powerful has WAY too much potential to kill you with a lapse in concentration. A new 600cc bike now makes 100hp. That's what the liter bikes were making 15 years ago. I've seen too many people get seriously injured because they started out on something too big for their skill level. You will NEVER be able to ride the 1000 to its potential on the street, no matter how experienced you are.

To put size into perspective, my 1985 Honda Interceptor 500 only makes 55hp, but it is capable of low 12s in the quarter. My old 1992 Honda VFR750 makes 100hp and is capable of low 11s in the quarter. The CBR1000rr does low 10s, almost 9s in the hands of a capable drag racer on the track, but you walk the fine line of wheelie/spinning to make a time like that. Too much throttle in a corner with a 1000cc bike can make the rear tire spin and if it catches, it will pitch you off like a catapault.

I'm not trying to discourage you from riding, I just want you to make an informed decision before hopping on a bike. I've only got 30,000 miles of riding under my belt in 6 years of riding, but 10,000 of that was in the first year and a half. I took the MSF beginners course before I got my bike and I believe that is the main factor in my ability to stay on 2 wheels and out of the hospital. PM me your number and I'd be happy to give you some pointers on getting started and possibly hook you up with some good riders in your neck of the woods. Who you ride with when you are learning plays a big factor on your safety too. Peer pressure is hard to avoid with 100+hp between your legs and a boatload of bike induced testosterone.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox for now...

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the concern guys, I appreciate it. As I mentioned, I'm not actively looking for a bike, but I saw this deal and had to look into it. One day I would like to get a bike and begin riding. I'll keep your advice in mind. For now, I'll pass on this bike as it appears to be too good to be true.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I ran across a similar "too good to be true" deal on a CR-V two weeks ago. The price was SUPER low and sounded fishy. I emailed about it and when I got a reply a week later, shock of shocks, the seller was in the UK and needed to make a quick sale. The name didn't match the e-mail either. Thanks, but no thanks.

If you'd like to meet up with some riders in the area to discuss bikes and maybe get an idea of what you and Stacy want, look up www.twtex.com. One of my riding buddies started up the forum and the group there is much like the group we have here at IMBOC. Helpful folks, good structure, and moderated to keep the name callers and nutcases at bay. There's a huge group that meets regularly in the DFW area and they'd be happy to have you stop by. You might even find a good deal on a starter bike. I sold my VFR to fellow member on the twtex board.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Dee I have bought 2 cars from e-bay and on both of them I was prepared to get something not quite what I expected. But the guys never wanted to put the money done quite like that. The price I paid both times was lower than I expected to pay (my 68 and 89) but it worked out OK. I also called both people on the telephone and talked with them prior to doing the deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts