Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my first "race".. not much of one. I was coming back from lunch and an eclipse GT pulled up to the line and revved his engine(sounded like a bumble bee with a had cold).. light turned green I got an easy 1400 rpm launch and shifted to 2nd around only 5000 rpms. He had already given up.. don't think I even broke the speed limit. I think the sound alone intimidated him into giving up :wink: God, I love this car!

Is that a win? Do 200HP 4 bangers count?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Been wonderin... is there any flavor of Eclipse we need to be concerned with? And how do you spot one if so.

My understanding is that the Talon TSI will require us to keep on our toes, at least redlight to redlight...

Joe

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-31 15:47, DHG-1934 wrote:
My understanding is that the Talon TSI will require us to keep on our toes, at least redlight to redlight...
Joe
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
:0 I wasn't aware of that..thanks for the info!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes,the all wheel drive turbocharged and intercooled Eclipse and Talon TSI are the ones to watch for.Stock they are not too much of a problem.But with larger turbo and intercooler they will rock! seen some run low 12s!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-31 16:29, mustang 1 wrote:
Yes,the all wheel drive turbocharged and intercooled Eclipse and Talon TSI are the ones to watch for.Stock they are not too much of a problem.But with larger turbo and intercooler they will rock! seen some run low 12s!
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
No wonder this ricer cult came to be!
I've only been cautious on obvious LS1, Vette, viper, ETC...I guess I better be carefull....Although you don't see much "rice" in this part of town...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looked it up. The last Eagle Talon TSI AWD had 210HP and 214 ft-lbs. It is rated at 6.4 sec 0-60 and the 1/4 times vary depending on the source between 14.4 and 14.9.

Not a problem stock but with a little tweaking a worthy competitor. Although a Bullitt with a little tweaking would still kick it's arse.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can't speak about a heavily modified AWD Turbo Talon, but when I had my last GT ('90 Model bone stock), I pulled BEHIND a Talon at a light and the guy took-off on me. I passed him on the 1-2 shift easily. He was a good sport and waved at the next light. His was a bone stock 5-speed too.

I would not worry too much, but you never know what the other guy may have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okee doke...think I got this one covered.

First the new eclipse GT is a 200hp V6. POS. I hate it. Ugly and slow.

Now, the 2nd generation (95-99)...is 210hp turbocharged 4cyl. FWD ran the quarter in low 15's...15.1,15.2. AWD can run consistenly quicker due to the holeshot. Upper 14's.

Now, the thing to keep in mind is that these are very very easy cars to modify. There are a handful of things you can do for free that will drop several 10ths. So your AWDs are easily capable of low 14's. Now you boys had best keep you eyes out for these because when you start bolting stuff on they get quick. Without changing the turbo out, you can easily delve into the mid 13's with AWD..upper with FWD. Mine ran a best of 14.030 at 100.35...its FWD and my 60' time sucked. 2.34. There is plenty left I can do...TB, Cams, Cam gears, PP, etc.

Okay, with all that in mind...swapping out the turbo for one that flows more air is gonna awaken a sleeping giant. Almost everyone I know that has invested in a new turbo is running 12's. And its cheap. A friend of mines Talon AWD runs mid 12's and he did it for less than $5000 including the car.

Oh one more thing....I have two co-workers with bullitts. From a roll we are DEAD EVEN...but I have to admit...out of the hole, wrong wheel drive loses out, and he gets about a car on me...and there it stays all the way up to 100.

Don't count us all out boys...:grin: :grin:

Later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Orange Crush on 2001-10-11 16:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Orange Crush on 2001-10-11 16:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's a link to a good friend's website dedicated to his 97 Eclipse GS-T. If any one is interested. He is the king of mods. Last time I talked with him he was dynoed at 360 rear wheel horsepower. Of course most of this happened before he decided to tie the knot. So if you live in the Jacksonville, FL area, be afraid, be very afraid http://www.tonypgst.dsmpower.com/hometony.htm

John G

·
Registered
466 Posts
How does the guy keep it in the road? I would imagine the torque steer on a 360 HP FWD Eclipse/Talon would be incredible.

·
Registered
540 Posts
MY BEST FRIEND HAS A 95 AWD ECLIPSE with a front mount intercooler a frank level 5 turbo and a first gen ported out head. we put it on a dyno by jacking the front of the car off the ground it was 360 hp on the rear tires. when he launches the car around 5000 rpms it just smokes all 4 tires. leaves bigger burns on the road that i can. he is not afraid of anything in that car. it runs a 12.2 at 5000 feet elevation. last time i asked him he was putting 28 lbs. of boost through his motor.
a built eclipse can be very fast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry about the error, I guess being on BullittClub has gotten me into the habit of discussing rear wheel drive cars.

How does the guy keep it in the road? I would imagine the torque steer on a 360 HP FWD Eclipse/Talon would be incredible.

I'm don't know all of his mods, but I know he has replaced the transmission with a positraction one. Other than that I'm not sure what all he's done to help with the steering. It is a blast to ride with him though!

John G.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts