Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw an article where BBK has a twin 62mm Throttle Body for the Cobra. It states that it should flow about 25% more than the stock 57mm unit. Since our cars have the 57mm I would think that this would be a strong candidate for increasing power in the Bullitt. (Note: Street Legal status is pending). Any Thoughts? :-B

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, I have a thought about that... I think it's a bad idea to go with a bigger throttle body, and the reason is velocity. Our engines make an incredible amount of intake velocity (and exhaust velocity; see anyone who has longtube headers...) and by switching to a bigger TB you'll lose a fair amount of the bottom end torque. Sure, you might gain 5 peak hp, but you'll lose 5 ft-lbs all the way across the board.

Speaking from experience, when you want torque, you want intake charge velocity. If you want HP, you want high CFM #'s. HTH.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The article was about a Supercharged Cobra and they were searching for more HP. I only read part of it and was thinking along the lines of more air more power. Thanks for the Input.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah...but on a blown car, don't you lose a pound of boost with a larger throttle body?

Paul G.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You could lose some boost, but remember that boost is just a measure of backpressure. In this case you would be moving more air into the motor than with the stock unit. And for a blown car that is what you're after. In a NA car you are relying on a happy medium of naturally occuring velocity and volume, blown cars make their own velocity and volume. Does that make any sense?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts