Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got through installing a meziere electric water pump. the install is very straight forward and simple. i used these instructions:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...y-electric-water-pump-install-w-pictures.html

everything you need to know to get-er-done i found on this thread posted by one eyed willy, whom i send a big thanks too for such awesome instructions. the biggest concern i had was finding the correct "hot"wire that was turned on and off by the ignition switch. this turned out to be trivial because there are four red wires in the harness willy suggested and each one of them goes to an injector. easy enough. most all of the connectors were included with the pump. i had to furnish one.

the meziere water pump is supposed to free up around 12-15 ponies. it seems to allow the engine to rev up a bit quicker in a similar fashion that the under drive pulley did.

there is a pulley on the electric water pump but it acts no different than an idler pulley as it is there just for belt routing and if you still have the factory crank pulley, then you can use your factory belt. an under drive pulley mandates a shorter belt.

there is a little bit of responsiveness i can feel over the factory water pump. 12-15 ponies added to 315 or so is not going to be that noticeable. and it could be my imagination too? HA!

all in all, i am glad i added this mod before the new fuel pump goes in.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Do you use your Bullitt as a daily driver? I have wanted to do this mod for a LONG time but am afraid of how things will hold up on say an 800 mile trip. Let me know how it works for you.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
originally posted by bluebullitt2180.1:

Do you use your Bullitt as a daily driver? I have wanted to do this mod for a LONG time but am afraid of how things will hold up on say an 800 mile trip. Let me know how it works for you.

jeff,

i have another car besides the bullitt, and i like to drive the bullitt more than the other car. go figure? also i work at home so my daily driving may mean something different to me than to you. that being said, i wouldn't hesitate one bit to drive the bullitt across the country and back with the electric water pump.

the meziere water pump comes with a two year warranty from the manufacturer. my gut feeling tells me that the electric water pump should as long as the factory pump. i don't have any facts to back this up for you though. i would say to trust what you feel.

originally posted by Blindmelon:

Nice Mod for sure Von Bullitt. Pics when your finished.
ken,

one eyed willy (what a name :smile: ) did such an excellent job with his diy instructions that i figured his pics would be hard to top so i didn't take any. check out the link in the 1st post above. i'll have some other pics soon though...

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
i just got through installing a meziere electric water pump. the install is very straight forward and simple. i used these instructions:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2010-mustangs/507678-diy-electric-water-pump-install-w-pictures.html

everything you need to know to get-er-done i found on this thread posted by one eyed willy, whom i send a big thanks too for such awesome instructions. the biggest concern i had was finding the correct "hot"wire that was turned on and off by the ignition switch. this turned out to be trivial because there are four red wires in the harness willy suggested and each one of them goes to an injector. easy enough. most all of the connectors were included with the pump. i had to furnish one.

the meziere water pump is supposed to free up around 12-15 ponies. it seems to allow the engine to rev up a bit quicker in a similar fashion that the under drive pulley did.

there is a pulley on the electric water pump but it acts no different than an idler pulley as it is there just for belt routing and if you still have the factory crank pulley, then you can use your factory belt. an under drive pulley mandates a shorter belt.

there is a little bit of responsiveness i can feel over the factory water pump. 12-15 ponies added to 315 or so is not going to be that noticeable. and it could be my imagination too? HA!

all in all, i am glad i added this mod before the new fuel pump goes in.
Von,

Nice job Man ........

I went over and read the instructions from the Link You provided.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!! job he did on the instructions ............

tigerhonaker

·
Rob
360 Posts
Since I've pretty much decided not to go the forced induction route with this car I think this is one of the mods I'm going to go with. I'm going to make sure and remember this thread. Thanks for posting!!!!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do things like this water pump and UD pulley systems really change the 'Tune setup' much for the car? Would you want to wait till you had a new tune that included these pieces before putting these parts on?

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
oklacop said:
Since I've pretty much decided not to go the forced induction route with this car I think this is one of the mods I'm going to go with. I'm going to make sure and remember this thread. Thanks for posting!!!!!!
Rob,

I feel sure You know you can Print this Thread out ........ Right ???????

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I will add a link to the instructions to the 08/09 Bullitt archive, that way it can always be found. Nice job and I hope to do this mod some day in the future!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
originally posted by tigerhonaker:

Von,

Nice job Man ........

I went over and read the instructions from the Link You provided.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!! job he did on the instructions ............

tigerhonaker

terry,

thanks, and you said it! there was no second guessing anything on this install using these instructions. again, hats off to one eyed willy!

and if anyone else ever does this install, pm me before you start and i will make sure i get you my contact info if you have any questions you need answering during the install.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
originally posted by oklacop:

Since I've pretty much decided not to go the forced induction route with this car I think this is one of the mods I'm going to go with. I'm going to make sure and remember this thread. Thanks for posting!!!!!
rob,

you're welcome! i am at your service, brother.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
learning time

originally posted by duaneproctor:

Do things like this water pump and UD pulley systems really change the 'Tune setup' much for the car? Would you want to wait till you had a new tune that included these pieces before putting these parts on?
duane,

good quesions! my limited understanding is that the udp, light weight driveshaft, light weight fly wheel, and the electric water pump are all mods that do not effect the tune of your car as they are not changing tune parameters such as fuel and air flow.

instead these mods have the affect of allowing the engine to rev up faster (freeing up horsepower is another term i have seen/heard used) because less energy is required by the engine to rotate the udp's, light weight driveshaft, and light weight fly wheel while all energy required to rotate the water pump is eliminated. thus the engine operates more efficiently.

i installed my new tune for the delete plates and headers before i installed the electric water pump. after the water pump went in i did not feel any negative performance changes in my tune.

now, all that being said, i am open to learn something different than i have stated. perhaps someone else can chime in here on this one too.

i paid $385.00 for the electric water pump, wiring harness, and a bottle of purple ice. the purple ice is an additive for the antifreeze that lowers the operating temps by about 10 degrees.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
originally posted by bluebullitt2180.1:

I will add a link to the instructions to the 08/09 Bullitt archive, that way it can always be found. Nice job and I hope to do this mod some day in the future!
thanks! great idea on the archive addition BW.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Good report "Von Bullitt" it will be a must have for me in the future. A switch to let it run at the track is a good idea. These 4.6 motors like a good cool-down. I will go with a colder thermostat (160* to 180*) at the same time. This will have a slight tune effect. Part of the reason a good wide-band A/F gauge is a must to fine tune (tweak) your set-up for minor changes. Von is correct the changes he made should not change the tune just free up hp used to to operate the above. I also like the GT500 larger radiator some day to run even cooler in traffic & long idle in summer heat with air on. Heat is not your friend if it's extreme. Some heat is needed to make proper power. Again good job Von.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
inquiring mind

ken,

thanks! using one eyed willy"s instructions for wiring the water pump you end up being able to turn the water pump on by turning your key to the accessory setting. this is cool (pun for fun) because you can still circulate the antifreeze even if the motor is not running.

ken and i were sharing pm's about adding an led light to monitor the electric water pump. i figured a way to wire up a led light to show if power was making it to the electric water pump. here is what i have come up with:

from the water pump relay there is a fused blue wire supplying power to the water pump. i would splice into this blue wire between the pump and the in line fuse to the led light for power with the addition of a 680 ohm-1/2 watt-2 volt-resistor between the splice and the led light. then ground the led light back to the ground wire off of the water pump. this should enable me to have an led light remain on as long as power is being supplied to the pump.

what i would rather have is a led light that remains on when the water pump is running as the water pump could go out and power would still be going to the water pump/led light, thus enabling the led light to remain on even if the water pump were not working. any suggestions on wiring a led light for this scenario?

i will be installing a dashdaq soon so that i can constantly monitor head temperature, but head temp could shoot up if the water pump stopped working or if there were a coolant leak. the mind wants to know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts