Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Engine Build

2K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  TheCat033 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Looks like I'm gonna start planning out my engine build (the 410rwhp is starting to feel slow :grin: ) so I can make some higher numbers with out putting stress on the stock internals. So as you know, this means putting in either a already built crate motor or send the car up to the shop to have them pull the motor build it, tune it and dyno it. Now i'm looking to make at least 600rwhp. Is this possible with an engine build and some smaller pullies on the V2 Vortech? Or will I need to upgrade to a T trim?
Also, for those of you who have already done so, what kind of price range can you give me as to how much I'll need, start to finish.

So First : Crate motor or build the one in the car?

Second : V2-SQ with smaller pullies or Up-graded T-Trim

Third : Price ranges

Thanks in advance

#10 ·
MMR long block will set you back about $7K with ported heads and cams. That'll hold the 600rwhp you're looking for. You might be able to spin that S-trim up to make it but a T-trim would be far more efficient. If you keep the S-trim you will definitely need some sort of intercooler, you may even want it with a T-trim.

#11 ·
Wow I think your the only other one beside me that has got over 400hp with a non-intercooled set up. I was getting around 10lb with stock pipe and pulley. You never had any problems running that much power on the stock block?

#12 ·
My rebuilt motor was around $8k wit custom cams,CNC heads and built bottom end.

#13 ·
blmarlow said:
Wow I think your the only other one beside me that has got over 400hp with a non-intercooled set up. I was getting around 10lb with stock pipe and pulley. You never had any problems running that much power on the stock block?
yup only 8lbs, Im running 410hp and 420tq w/power pipe. Nope, havnt had any issues.

#14 ·
Cool that makes me feel better but I still plan on getting an intercooler for a winter project just to be on the safe side. Wow your torue numbers are way higher then mine. I guess ford did make the black ones faster.:lol: Good luck with your new build.

#15 ·
You are looking at atleast 7K for a built 2v with a decent head. The S trim could get you to 600 RWHP but at what cost? You would be overspinning the poop out of it and causing heat as a by product. I made 580 with a S trim, BUILT MPH motor, Ptriot heads, 8 Rib pulley kit and a RR 2.7" Pulley and BTI Intercooler. The IAT's were too high so I switched to a T trim. Its not worth the risk of spending good money on a motor and having the S trim grenade a bearing and shooting it into the motor. The T trim is an awesome blower and YSI is even better.

#16 ·
I made 424rwhp on a non-intercooled S-trim for years. It finally tanked after ~25K miles. Double J is also making over 400 sans intercooler. They can last a day or a decade that way, one mistake and it's over at that level on a stock bottom end.

#17 ·
didn't see anyone mention it, but once you build the motor and start throwing more boost at it, you'll also need to start looking at an upgraded fuel system, and with that much power things like trannys, clutches, rear ends, etc etc start breaking.

just some things to think about, its not only the 4500$ shortblock, its also the install, tune, dyno time, and a whole other slew of things that need upgrading.

Good luck tho man, i'm hangin in with the stock longblock for now, but soon enough these are things i'll be doing as well....after all it takes to get here it truly is a shame to say 400rwhp is slow, although it is very true :D

#18 ·
This is an interesting thread. For me, the question would be do I want more power or do I want to go quicker? The two are not necessarily the same question.

First, 400 rwhp in the context of old school guys like me is awesome power. There were only a few cars built in Detroit in the muscle car heyday that could boast those numbers, and the cars were basically pigs when it came to cornering and braking. So the fact that we have a thread about how 400rwhp is not enough just shows how far things have come.

Anyway, off topic.

Seeing Pete's numbers at the track compared to his dyno numbers really opened my eyes. He is within .15 seconds of 11.5 now with not a lot more into his motor than you Aaron. In other words, if you do build the short block and go all out, is it really going to make you that much faster (quicker) than just a few tweaks (intercooler, smaller pulley, BAP, MAF, tune)? If your track is sanctioned they will make you put a roll cage in at 11.5, which is where I would draw the line for mods on my car. If you do end up at the 600 rwhp figure you would need to do much more supporting mods to be able to use it at the track, and well, that much power would just get me in trouble on the street if I had no other outlet, maybe you have more discipline than me. I'm not sure how often you race, but if it's only occasionally you may have better uses for the amount you would spend on a short block and supporting mods. I think this is the old man in me talking. I see the other side of this too where there is no such thing as too much power. The good thing is you can't make a wrong decision, in the end it will be what is right for you and your wants. Either way I will look forward to watching this as it unfolds.....John R :cool:

#19 ·
Pete, John,

Yup those are all this I've considered and priced out already. This motor is what Im more concerned about at the moment since the right rods and pistons are essential.

Oh and john, there is just something about that much HP that brings a tear to your eye lol

#20 ·
aaron i say go crate pull the old motor when the other is ready. you get to keep driving it while upgrading plus you keep the old motor for any thing in the future. that is just my opinion though... I gotta spend more time in Kissimmee aparently there are no police and you can drive as fast as you want.... 192 here I come...:badgrin: :badgrin:

#21 ·
edtrae03130 said:
aaron i say go crate pull the old motor when the other is ready. you get to keep driving it while upgrading plus you keep the old motor for any thing in the future. that is just my opinion though... I gotta spend more time in Kissimmee aparently there are no police and you can drive as fast as you want.... 192 here I come...:badgrin: :badgrin:

hahaha. As fast as you want?????

#22 ·
I'm looking really hard into getting a shortblock from http://modularmustangracing.com/ and doing those new heads coming out. That with just about any form of forced induction has to be close to 600rwhp I would imagine! I've got a thread about this in the discussion forum be it that I blew my stock bottom end Monday. I finally got underneath it to check and it had a chunk missing out of the block about the size of a fist. :eek:

#24 ·
jeffs89gt said:
12-14lbs plus meth and a good tune and wait till it dies... if you upgrade to a t trim id be happy to take the sq off your hands:surprised

if you do a motor 03/04 cobra short block and those new trick flow heads... thats what i plan to do
Jeff,

Thats also another thought. I was also looking into a 4v motor. They sound so good and make power a little easier.

#25 ·
Mr.BULLITT said:
Jeff,

Thats also another thought. I was also looking into a 4v motor. They sound so good and make power a little easier.
But for what's looking to be less you can put a 5.0 Stroker with the new 2v heads coming out and have BETTER breathability than the 4v. That's what i'm looking really heavy into along with bolting on a T-56 to give me a little more top end and transmission toughness.

#26 ·
Mr.BULLITT said:
Pete, John,

Yup those are all this I've considered and priced out already. This motor is what Im more concerned about at the moment since the right rods and pistons are essential.

Oh and john, there is just something about that much HP that brings a tear to your eye lol

10-4 on that. This is a clip of a KB Cobra with about the 600 RWHP you hope to end up at ( and the right color). My previous post was the pc post that I felt it necessary to submit. This one is the one that says and shows what an absolute beast your car will be at the numbers you hope for. I know its a KB, but 600 RWHP is 600 RWHP, right, whether it's centrifugal or twin screw...Aaron, I need a ride in your car if you do anything close to this....JR....:dhg01:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.