Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced a rattle/knock upon cold start up? I've talked to Ford guys here who say it's in the Lincoln with the 4.6 as well. Glad I extended Uncle henry's warranty. Mines got just 600 easy break in miles on it so I don't think it's from abuse. Look out after 1,000 miles, though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello.

I too have a "rattle" sound that comes from my engine area when the car is cold. It makes a rattle sound when I am at about 3,000-4,000 rpm, but only when the car is cold. When it gets warm it is smooth all the way.

Do you think that this rattle may be pinging/detonation? I do have a Steeda timing adjuster w/ the timing advanced to 14', but this only happens when it is cold and I figured that it would happen all of the time if it were from the timing advancement.

Now I wonder if there is an engine or transmission brace which is loose, or something?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

- Joe

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Do a search on this site for DIESELING as a few of us are having this same issue as discussed on a couple of other posts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My car makes a rattle noise when cold. I have the KSG1 computer and have had it reflashed. My noise IS NOT ping or a diesiling noise. It's a rattle like something is vibrating TOO much. I even wondered if perhaps it was the hood prop rattling....I think that was wishfull thinking though. I would guess the noise is related to something in the valve train, or related to the piston rod(s). Just a guess...I'll be watching this post for the answer.......

:evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
123 Posts
There have been other posts about the 'rattle', here as well as BON and elsewhere. My car does the same, only when cold (below 50, and it hasn't been much colder here yet), and only when it touched 3000 rpm, at which point I backed off. 1400 miles for me.

The best theory I've heard is timing chain rattle against the casing due to the tensioner not working properly with cold oil. Don't know if that's definitive, or whether Ford will/can fix it, but I never liked thrashing an engine when it's cold anyway, so no biggie to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i,everyone.i found my noisy problem,i replacethe engine oil by amsoil one.it's work fine because since i have my 99 expedition 4.6 in cold start in any temperature(i'm leaving in quebec and temperature go below -25f in winter season)
i use 5w30 like ford recommend.i do same think for my supercrew 2001 and for my baby bullitt1758 after 500km.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I must admit that I noticed mine making the sound after my first oil change. Makes you wonder if the Amsoil trick could correct it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
two words: piston slap.

two more words: don't worrysomuch

two more words: itsnota ferarri

If my F-50 had this many "defects" then i might not be so forgiving. I've learned to live with the various noises that this motor makes, but with my exhaust loud and the windows down im down to only hearing the piston slap noise when it is cold. everything else is drowned out by my Race Magnum "mufflers". Then again, if i did have an F-50 then all the "problems" would be part of it's handmade supercar personality. just my 2 centz.........

Gary

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here's the running thread on the noise if you haven't already found it.

As for piston slap, can someone please explain to me how metal to metal contact from a piston loosely rattling around within the cylinder (which is what piston slap is, right?) is nothing to worry about? Believe me, I'd love not to worry about this, but I need an explanation. I understand the need for expansion of parts as they heat, but I can't comprehend how the piston rattling within the cylinder bore could be non-harmful.

Thanks!
Joe

Dark Highland Green #1934
Bone Stock except for a deep Zaino Shine!

1995 4.6L Thunderbird LX in Electric Red -- R.I.P.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-11-15 01:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I agree.....I'm not a mechanic, but piston slap sounds scary...what is that? Also just as an FYI I use 5w20 Amsoil in my Bullitt and it still makes that rattle noise....It just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well, for me , it's another reason to use 20W50 in #60 which I have been doing on this oil change. I want all the protction I can get given I don't drive "leisurly" :smile:

Brian

·
Registered
55 Posts
I found a company that addressed the issue. Subaru released this info:

The infamous "piston slap"
Summary
Description: Clicking, tapping, or knocking noise eminating from the engine after a cold start. The noise lasts until the engine is warmed, usually 5-15 minutes. The sound may be heard in the passenger compartment.
Affects: 2.5L DOHC engine, particularly from 1997 to 1999.
Diagnosis: The pistons are engineered for operation at temperature. In an effort to save weight in the engine, the piston skirts were shaved down. When the pistons are cool, however, they do not have sufficient contact with the cylinder to keep from 'slapping' or rattling against the cylinder sides. At temperature, due to thermal expansion, the pistons match up properly with the cylinder and do not rattle.
Reported solutions: In some cases, SOA has rebuilt the engine short block, while in others SOA prescribed "countermeasure pistons" with longer skirts that do not slap. Most dealers will initially state the sound is "normal."
Detrimental effects: SOA has said that the noise causes no engine problems or abnormal engine wear; Subaru engine expert CCR Engines of Colorado has said that the engine may experience a 10% reduction in life.

The only thing that i have been told from anyone from Ford is that the hypeurtectic (sp?) pistons expand and contract more than any other material. And that's what they SPECULATE about the cause of the noise. of course nothing has been officially addressed.

gary

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
WOW..where do we go from here?
Maybe someone whose been to the dealer could reference that article and see what happens.... :???: :???: :???:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
To me it's more like a loose timing chain hitting up against the timing cover. I could be wrong.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt4995 on 2003-12-05 07:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
716 Posts
It's not a loose timing chain or it would make that sound all the time. I too have the sound and believe it is with the catalytic converters. When they get good and warm whatever is loose inside expands and tightens up.

·
Registered
394 Posts
RailCop,

I was one of the first to post about this issue. I describ it as sounding like a diesel when cold. I thought it could be the Cats or the heat shield around the cats. I have had that on other cars in the past. This is different and I know it's not the cats because I put on a new X-pipe and it still makes the same noise. This is something that is originating from the block. I really suspect is has to do with the different expansion rates of the different metals used in the engine. It sounds terrible and it is embarrassing. I just hope there is no long term engine wear issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts