Premium Member
18,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by a reputable source that
I should use Motorcraft oil in the Bullitt
since the engineers at Ford designed the
motor using Motorcraft oil. I was planning
to switch to Mobil 1 when they came out
with the 5W-20. Please, any views on this?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Who is your reputable source? Motorcraft, Ford's brand, has never been in the refining business. They job out to the real refiners who bottle their product in Motorcraft bottles.

The owners manual does not specify Motorcraft. It does say 5W20 that meets Ford's specification or motor oil that bears the API star "For Use in Gasoline Engines."

·
Premium Member
18,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure that my source would want his
name here since I don't have his permission, but I will say he runs and owns a very successful and well known restoration and
speed shop.

So Motorcraft oil can be from any number of
companies that manufacture motor oil..or does
Ford job out to just one company?

So as long as it is 5W-20 and meets Ford's
specs, or has the API star, it's alright.

Thanks, I'm learning alot today!

DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately
the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-06 14:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-06 14:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-06 14:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-06 19:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
714 Posts
In my opinion I think that people make to big of a freakin deal about oil. If you stick with a decent brand and the around the weight you are supposed to be using you should be just fine. Using crappy oil in the past use to catch up to ya at over 100,000 miles with excess buildup and seal failures. Now that the general public has been brainwashed into thinking they have to change their oil every 3000 miles or their car will freakin blow up, you don't see or hear of any cars failing anymore due to the brand of oil they used do you?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt#4660 on 2001-12-06 14:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use Amsoil Synthetic and change it twice a year. Works just fine and the wear check results have always been excellent!

Paul G.

·
Premium Member
18,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PBGas, thanks for the input, I have heard
alot about Amsoil and a friend of mine is a
rep for Amsoil. He called Amsoil to find
out where he could buy some to use for his
vehicles. They told him there was none available in his area, but if he became the
area's rep, he could have all the oil he
wanted.

DHG #3875
Modifications:
BULLITT chase scene recreated on rear dash
with Revell 1/25 scale 68 GT 390 Fastback and
68 Charger R/T metal body models. Unfortunately
the hub caps don't come off the Charger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collin Wayne on 2001-12-06 14:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just had mine changed to Mobil 1 5w30 at my 5,000 mile service, and will have it changed every 5,000. The service advisor at my dealership said Mobil 1 was highly recommended, and that the 5w30 would be fine in it. I agree that any good quality oil will work fine, I just prefer full synthetic, and Mobil 1 had always been highly regarded in the synthetic realm. :grin:

:bullitt:

Black Bullitt #4584
MGW Satin Trim Pieces
MGW Billet Shifter Handle
Coming Soon...Spin Tech Mufflers & Densecharger
"Bite the Bullitt..."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MOLJAY on 2001-12-06 15:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've been using the dino stuff, but on my next oil change (my second) I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 5W-30. If your temperature doesn't drop below 30 (and it never does here) then there's no difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
During last summer my car ran cool all the time...no problems, though my autologic chip does run the fan a bit more than stock...and no cold engine knock during the summer either!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Collin,

Since all 5W20 is a synthetic/petroleum blend, I think you can discount the bargain type refiners. I would think that Motorcraft uses several of the big names, and at any given time you could find lots from each of them in stock. This is only a good business practice on their part. They go with whoever gives them the best price per lot.

I changed to Mobil 1 at 886 miles and just had 738 serviced again at 5003 miles, not one problem, and my commute is about 94 miles per day at 70+.

Stick with a quality brand that meets Ford's warranty requirements (exclusions to you legal eagles), and you shouldn't have any problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts