Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats our engine option since the aluminum block is no longer available? Coyote swap? Not into junk yard engine. Whats the upgrade and our option.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've been following some projects to make use of the new 7.3 super duty engine. While its pretty neat I don't think anyone really has the kinks worked out to make it plug and play. For that, it seems to be Coyote all day. Having owned a 2015 with the Gen 2, it would be sweet in the 08.

·
Registered
416 Posts
depend on what you want to do.

even if the 4.6 aluminum block is not sold new anymore.
there are THOUSANDS of aluminum blocked 4.6 motors in salvage yards for sale. the 4.6 blocks in most late model F150 are aluminum just like in the mustangs. there is nothing wrong with a salvage yard motor for a foundation for your build.

you can do like i did and forge your motor internals, add a DOB, Department Of Boost, intake and supercharger. you can make 600+ rwhp easy with the proper parts.
using a DOB intake and take off GT500 superchargers is a pretty economical mod.
FYI. i started my build with a motor out of a 04 Mach 1 mustang if it matters.

or you can forge your motor and go turbo also for more power.

yes a coyote swap is also common. WIRING MODS REQUIRED.
if you want more power DOB also makes a intake to supercharge this motor also.

i have read about a few godzilla 7.3 . swaps. most have been done on fox bodies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do they usually go for money wise? The F150 aluminum shortblock block is same as Mustang? Last time I went to the ford show, Coyote swap was everywhere but without the kinks worked out. I would like to keep the engine N/A. I will call around to see if anyone has low mile short or long block from a 08-up Mustang.

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Registered
416 Posts
for a complete motor from a salvage yard visit Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

yes the block in a F150 is the same as in the bullitt. i will say with 99% certainty ALL 4.6 3V blocks are the same. YES the F150 4.6 3V motors has a alloy block. the crank, rods and even the heads are the same. the pistons are probably different compression ratios. the CAMS and springs will be different in the heads. the intake manifold, oil pan, and front timing cover will also be different.

as i posted earlier you can also use a 4.6 alloy block from the SN95 mustangs also, this is what i used. the front timing cover mount surfaces are slightly different so if it's not properly sealed you can get oil leaks.
you can also use the block out of a Lincoln Mark VIII. the famous Teksid block is slightly stronger than the the 3V block but not by much. anything under 1500 hp you shouldn't worry about strength differences.
you can also use a 4.6 iron block. the 3V parts will bolt on no problem. it will just weigh more than a alloy block.

NA the coyote block is a pretty solid motor. one thing to keep in mind is this mod WON'T BE CHEAP to do. you can probably pick up close to 100hp by installing one over the 3V motor. you will have to do a fair amount of wiring mods to install one in a S197 bullitt. i would assume a new engine wiring harness and ECU should get you most of what you need.
it will bolt in without problems. i never installed one in a S197 but i would assume you will need the coyote mounts to install it in place of a 3V motor.
this is a common mod so a google search should give you almost all of the answers you need.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I found one locally with 89K mile complete engine for 3K from your listing. Not too bad. I guess I could pick this one up. I really like to keep the original 3V in this car.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for the info. I found one locally with 89K mile complete engine for 3K from your listing. Not too bad. I guess I could pick this one up. I really like to keep the original 3V in this car.
I’m sure there are plenty around but..
remanufactured - from Jegs Rebuilt Mustang 4.6 I think that Jegs has a pretty good reputation.

·
Registered
416 Posts
good to hear you found something to work for you.
i use that site mostly for price comparisons and estimating repair costs of damaged cars before buying them.

if you do go with the salvage motor route i would suggest updating the timing components including the cam phasers before the install. this job might not be required but it will be 10 times easier to do now than after the motor is installed. this will also give you the opportunity to inspect the internal condition of the motor. a lot of times mileage won't give you a true indication of condition of the motor. i have seen a lot of really high mileage motors in perfect condition and more than my share of low mileage turds.
also remove the intake and probe the passages with a magnet for loose bolts that somehow find their way inside. i like to remove the plugs and use my under $100 HF inspection camera / scope too check for cylinder condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts