Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious if anyone has reported any of the engine tick issues with the 2019 Bullitts? Seems like there are tons of posts on other sites regarding this problem with current G6 GT owners.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't seen any issues with 2019s yet, Bullitt or otherwise. Hoping they caught on to the 2018s issues in time to make the appropriate changes for the 2019 model year to prevent them from happening in ours.

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
I am just curious if anyone has reported any of the engine tick issues with the 2019 Bullitts? Seems like there are tons of posts on other sites regarding this problem with current G6 GT owners.
I hear an engine tick when I drive up near a building wall (drive thru lane) with the window rolled down. I would expect that it is probably the high pressure direct injection pump located on the fuel rail. Even though this pump has a foam rubber cover, the base '18+ Mustang GTs have large engine covers that provide additional noise attenuation. Obviously this cover was deleted for the 2019/2020 Bullitt.

Here is the direct injection pump with its foam cover.

Here is the Gen3 Coyote engine cover. Most/all DI engines have similar engine covers.

·
Administrator
6,392 Posts
Greg's illustrations help to demonstrate the means by which the mechanical noises have been quelled. I do hear some ticking noises, but I also have some rattling noises that I hear inside which some have said is piston slap. This is a temperature related sound because I only hear it for a bit until the engine warms up. It's generally right around the 2000 RPM mark. It's faint enough that I don't pay attention to it or get bothered by it. That said, I do monitor the threads on other forums that discuss the noises.

And yes, to Matt's point, there should have been running changes that would benefit '19 model year cars. I suspect Greg would say this is not an unreasonable expectation, given what's been reported by '18 owners.

Do you hear any noises?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I heard ticking when I first got the car but haven't heard it lately, I'll have to pay better attention, maybe I've just gotten used to it and don't hear it anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
There is a lot going on with 16 fuel injectors, multiple fuel pumps, coated pistons, arc spray cylinder coatings, and high volume oil systems. Warm those engines well before you let them "eat." Mechanical noises are normal, just keep an eye on your oil pressure and temperature. Enjoy.

·
Car Whisperer
21,049 Posts
likely that the injectors are contributing a lot to this.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Direct injectors are high pressure and sound a lot like diesel injectors, they kind of "snap, click," no crackle, pop, hopefully.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks all for the input. They are all points I have taken into consideration. To be honest I’m just to damn old to worry about it very much. I try to pay attention and know my cars. Each car, even built exactly the same, has slightly different characteristics from the one right before or right after. After all they are living, breathing creatures. Maybe I will be lucky and have a car with good health. Maybe the more temperate weather here in California will treat her well.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bullitt 4404 I believe you are spot on with your statement. I agree completely. That being said I have a strange occurrence to report:

Last night I needed to move my car so my daughter could work on her truck in the driveway. It was a particularly cold night of 45-50 degrees at the time. (Not for those of you who live in real weather, I know) my car had been sitting for a day and I got in and started her up. I sat for a minute or two and the temperature was ticking up slowly. Feeling my daughters impatience I backed out of the driveway. Now I had it in quiet mode because it was after 9 PM. I let her roll down the hill in neutral and when I put it into second gear the exhaust sounded like it was trying to change, a message popped up saying something about a mode not being available and a wrench icon popped up on the dash. I depressed the clutch and gave some gas and all was not right. I began to drive and had to keep it in first. I checked the exhaust mode and it had changed to normal mode on its own. I drove around the block stopped and let her sit idling and the light stayed on. I shut her off for several minutes and restarted the engine.started up fine, wrench icon was gone. I warmed her up some more and went for a short drive staying in third an accelerating to 55-60. Stopped at two lights on my way back and was lagging and shuddering as I started and made U-turns. Drove fine on the way back and parked for the night.

I got up today started her up and let her warm up for about five minutes. I then took a drive for about an hour, varying on residential, surface streets, highway and hills. I leaned on the gears more, winding it up a little more and staying up over 3500 rpm at the very least. On the highway I hit the higher gears and let her cruise between 80-90 mph. I ran about 7-10 miles on surface streets and about 25 miles highway. I varied the gears, speed and rpm. Ran like a champ. I am of the belief that this is just a high tech beast and it wants to run. Cold and slow is no way for these cars to drive. They want and need to drive for extended periods of times and conditions. In city driving conditions they barely ever need to go into 3rd gear, let alone anything above that. With that redline we should be winding it up more. These are no trailer queens. Just an observation on my part. And I am definitely gonna order the Steeda clutch spring set up

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I do not mean to hijack this thread so if this question has been answered somewhere else could someone please direct me, but in the meantime here is my question:
I have a 2019 Bullitt. The owner's manual I got with the car is the standard Mustang GT manual so I am not sure if there is a "Bullitt" manual so again, my question comes from not finding anything in the manual and finally, the question:

Where are people finding the settings for the exhaust? I hear a difference when I go to the different settings of "Normal, Sport, Track" etc. but I cannot find "Quiet" or anything else that people refer to. I check with the settings and other places on the touchscreen but to no avail.

Help....

BJ

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Click on the pony and scroll down to the exhaust mode setting. when you click on it that it will pull up mode settings. You can also program to automatically turn on for a certain amount of time for early morning start ups

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
A car can have as many as 40,000 parts and pieces, sourced from many countries. Any new car model is going to require software and sometimes hardware upgrades. Imagine the computer code alone to run all the systems. Run premium fuel only to minimize injection component wear and a fuel treatment every couple of tanks wouldn't hurt.
I'm considering buying a new Ford Ranger, but I think I'll wait at least six months to see what gremlins present themselves before I pull the trigger on the money gun.

Addition: The Lucas complete fuel treatment is well rated, and a gallon jug for around $40 treats 400 US gallons. Pretty good @ 10 cents a gallon.

·
Car Whisperer
21,049 Posts
if it thru the wrench on the dash, I would have the car checked for any stored codes. should be able to drive to an advance auto or auto zone and let them throw the code reader on it. they do it for free.

what you described that happened that night, is not normal to me. car shouldn't have to be treated like it is a radical race car or something to be driven.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Tim
You and I come from a time of carburetors and ignition points. These cars are more computer than drive train. Some new cars can have as many as 10 or more ECM's. Timothy may have had a engine miss code from that lousy California gas, who knows. But, as you say, it kinda makes you wonder what's going on. Certainly wouldn't hurt to see if there are codes present. BTW, if you check your OBD II car, don't be surprised if you find codes. Even changing the battery can store a couple.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Hi Tim,
Thank you so much for that. I truly appreciate the help. Do you know if there is a "special" manual speifically for the Bullitt that comes with the car? All I got was the standard Mustang GT manual and it does not seem to cover anything "Bullitt" related. If there is a specific Bullitt manual I need to hound the dealer or get one from Ford.
Thanks again so much for the help.

Bob

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By no means do I trash my car, but I try to drive it the way it’s intended. If I’m going 45 I’m not even gonna be out of third gear. Heck barely need to be in third gear. These cars don’t like bogging down. They really like shifting at 4500-5000 rpm and man if you aren’t paying attention they can really get rolling on you. I can’t wait to get on our annual road trip next spring and summer and put a solid 3 to 4 thousnd miles on her. BTW will be plugging in and pulling any codes on Monday. Will see what it says

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bob not that I’m aware of. There are plenty of tutorials online that break it down pretty well. Heck just sit down and start her up and scroll through the various function. It’s pretty easy, even for me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have my 2019 Bullitt with 1000km on it... the car drives just fantastic, but I must say I would not expect some of the noises the car / 8V engine / makes arround 2500rpm. I found a quick fix for most of the noises: I play my music a bit louder ;-)

But of them comes and goes irregularly and is quite annoying: Can you hear it from 00:05? (Unfortunately, it starts just when the mechanic starts talking :) ... Is it the pump? It is rather a higher tone sort of knocking...

I am heading to visit a dealer on Wednesday for some diagnostics as engine icon appeared and disappeared for a short time last week.. I will mention this noise, but if you guys have any thoughts? ... I don`t think it`s a big deal, but hey, I would rather hear these kind of noises when the car is 150K, not 1K :-D

VIDEO:

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

1 - 20 of 83 Posts