Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't want to go as far as a supercharger on my engine but, I'm thinking that HO cylinder heads and cams could be fun. I'm also considering a X pipe exhaust with headers. Anybody have an idea what kind of HP gain could I achieve? Reason being my brother in-law keeps claiming his 1969 Chevelle SS will eat me up. I believe I'm not far from beating him in a straight race. Around the bends it's not even a contest. If I could achieve 20% power gain, he's mine.

Thank You!

J.D.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Ford claims 50 hp gains with thier CNC heads and the hot rod cams. I was considering these mods a short time ago. After doing the math parts alone will be over $3,000 thats just heads and cams not even into the pipes yet. 50 hp minus between 12 and fifteen % loss only equals around 40 hp to the wheels.I'm sure there are other head /cam combos that would give you more bang for your buck but I did not look into those .After install money and cam bolts and whatever else goes with the job you are sure to be looking at 4k plus i would guess .Couple hundred more you can get a vortech installed at Brenspeed and stay street legal. Headers with x pipe around 10 to 20 hp gain. I am getting kooks long tubes with h pipes and am having them tune it so i don't lose anything in the lower range I like that power down low don't use top end power too often but sure like that throw me back in my seat feeling a good launch gives.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was looking to go to 400 HP without a supercharger not long ago and I still think I am on the right path even though I know it will cost me more $$$ in the end. So far I have NSR Comp Cams, Underdrive pulleys, Delete plates, and Brenspeed tune. Long tube headers, and larger MAF is next followed by Livernois stage 2 heads (maybe stage 3). I think that with all of this, I should be around my goal of 400 HP at the real wheels. To answer your original question though, you might want to run him now.

Lets say his '69 Chevelle has a 396 engine since that's what it more than likely came with. These ranged from 265 HP to 375 HP in 1969 when they were built new from the factory. In 1970 they came out with the LS6 454 which produced 450 HP and made the very heavy Chevelle run the 1/4 mile in low to mid 13's (per Wikipedia). If the Chevelle in question is not stock, we will need more information to answer the question of who is faster. If it is stock or a close rebuild it is still a fast car but, I'd tell your brother in-law to grab his keys, his pride, and a tissue. He'll get to keep his keys, the tissue is for his tears, but the pride is all yours! Just don't miss a gear!!!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi fellas. Hope you don't mind if I jump into the conversation.

I plan on letting Steeda do my work for me. I'd like to get my Bullitt up into the Steeda Q350 power range. (http://www.steeda.com/new_vehicles/Q350/features.php) To me, that seems pretty reasonable. Altho I like broad HP/torque, I honestly think that once you get past the 350 HP mark, it's pretty useless on the road except to boost testosterone levels. I'm sure some of you are shaking your head right now but that's just my opinion & why I won't consider the supercharger route, new heads/cams, headers or anything that extreme. Closing in on 49, my play days are well past me. (Ok, almost.) The car has to remain quasi-civilized or else I risk becoming one of those 55 year old, fat bald guys buying a Vette.

After one whole day of ownership, I'm pretty pleased w/the Bullitt's handling/braking performance but like most of us, I could use a few more ponies. I'm looking at having Steeda install their cold air induction kit, 90 mm mass meter, underdrive pulleys, motion plates and cat back exhaust. They will also do an engine calibration or tune once everything is installed to make sure its running optimally. They claim the whole package will provide anywhere between 40-50 more HP. I've been told to the contrary on these #'s but I'm gonna take them on their word & they swear they can back it up. The whole deal will cost me about $2g's w/installation so I figure that oughta keep me pretty entertained & not wreck the gas mileage too much.

What are your thoughts?
Lee

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how familiar Steeda is with the Bullitt. They seemed a tad confused when I talked to them the other day..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Steeda has been around a long time & is associated w/Ford in a bunch of its performance packages. The fellas over @ Mustang Performance did not seem to think those mods would yield 40-50 HP & estimated the gain in the 30 HP range. Either way, it would probably still be enough for me.

If you think that's expensive for 30-50 HP, what would your suggestions be for more reasonable expenses per HP?
Lee

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Beating the Chevelle depends on how close to stock it is. In my younger days, SS396 Chevelles were as common as Accords. We went with the usual mods, headers, glass pack mufflers, a Holley spread bore carb, and with the common bias-ply G60-15 tires would be around 14 flat. Lot's of us went with a hot cam and Edlebrock intake, and maybe 4.10 gears, and you might be a mid-low 13 second car. Based on what my essentially stock Bullitt has run in the quarter, I would have beaten 90 percent of the SS396 Chevelles prowling the street in the 1970's.

In other words, take him on heads up, and see whose faster.:wink:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Hey JD (that's also my nickname), you should give serious consideration to starting at the rear first. Consider a set of 4:10 gears and maybe an alumium driveshaft.

While these changes do not increase engine HP, it reduces some of the drag from the power train to increase the rear wheel HP. Car should be much more responsive and will not hurt your MPG very much.

Do you know what gear he is running in that Chevelle?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
spectorman said:
Closing in on 49, my play days are well past me. (Ok, almost.)
Trust me as a fellow 48 year old. After a few weeks with this crowd you'll find out just how much kid is still in the tank:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha and welcome to the craziness

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you want to get all the power you can streetably squeeze out of the motor, then I would get comp cams SPR STAGE 2's (grind # 127500), some livernois stage 2 heads, and some great bolt on's. I have a 400rwhp+ all motor build list if you are interested, just send me a PM, and I'll get that list to you.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
spectorman said:
I honestly think that once you get past the 350 HP mark, it's pretty useless on the road except to boost testosterone levels.
Isn't that why do this???? :lol:

I'm a little leary, like Rob, that you will be picking up 40-50 hp over a stock Bullitt. We already start with the CAI and an extra 15 hp.

Bluebullitt2180.1 and Bluebullitt2180 added headers, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, tune, and a couple of other goodies. Jeff and Gail picked it up to around 345 RWHP. You might search a few of their threads for details. It will give you an idea of what it took.

Whatever you decide, let us know the results and your thoughts. There's always more than one way of getting there. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
While I'm loooking for more power (who isn't?) I want to retain drivability. My 02 was a beast- you couldn't hold a decent conversation in the dang thing. The harmonics were all wrong & the car constantly thrummed. If you weren't interested in talking, it was ok but my wife absolutely hated going places in that car (Hmmmmm) whereas I would drive it anywhere. Either way, I don't want to go thru all that again so I'm not looking for another monster, just a little extra oomph. I'll be sure to page thru everyone's posts cuz you guys are way ahead of me here.
Lee

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I'll be at Steeda Wed for some brake work. Be interesting to see what they say about engine mods while I am there...]

·
Registered
407 Posts
spectorman said:
While I'm loooking for more power (who isn't?) I want to retain drivability. My 02 was a beast- you couldn't hold a decent conversation in the dang thing. The harmonics were all wrong & the car constantly thrummed. If you weren't interested in talking, it was ok but my wife absolutely hated going places in that car (Hmmmmm) whereas I would drive it anywhere. Either way, I don't want to go thru all that again so I'm not looking for another monster, just a little extra oomph. I'll be sure to page thru everyone's posts cuz you guys are way ahead of me here.
Lee
Centri supercharger then. Check out the brenspeed packages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 69 Chevelle SS does not have a 396 cu.in motor. It has a 454 LS5 out of a early
70's vette. Stock the motor was 390 HP. This car has headers w/Magnaflow mufflers, 390 rear end and cam work. It's pushing 400+ HP easy. I have driven this car and it's fast. My Bullitt could lose this Chevelle in the bends, but in the straight line it's not likely.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've been really impressed by Steeda's stuff. Matter of fact, Mustang Specialties uses a lot of their stuff in their perf upgrades too. They sound like they really know their way around the Stang.

As for superchargers, I'm not willing to lay out that kind of $$ @ the moment, even tho everything I've read/been told that was "the way." I really don't need or want that kind of power anyway & the purchase of the car tapped me pretty good. Gonna take me a couple of months to catch up & my bike still needs a little more work- that comes before the Bullitt!
Lee

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
navyman8903 said:
and the car is not usless with more than 350RWHP. You just have to know how to drive.
I didn't mean it was worthless- I'm saying to me it's not worth it. 0-60 in 5.0 or 4.8 means little to nothing to me. I really don't need to get some place 2/10ths of a second faster. My ego is pretty good to go & by the by, I KNOW how to drive. Besides where I live, it's a metro area; there's no place to put more power than that to any good use. If you want/need more power, good for ya but I don't.
Lee

·
Registered
407 Posts
spectorman said:
I didn't mean it was worthless- I'm saying to me it's not worth it. 0-60 in 5.0 or 4.8 means little to nothing to me. I really don't need to get some place 2/10ths of a second faster. My ego is pretty good to go & by the by, I KNOW how to drive. Besides where I live, it's a metro area; there's no place to put more power than that to any good use. If you want/need more power, good for ya but I don't.
Lee
Well if that is the case, then leave her stock, or get some bolt-ons, or add the V-3 tuner kit. NUF said.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts