Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First please forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I thought I had already posted it but couldn't find it anywhere.

#4137 is bare stock. In the near future I plan to start with the mods and would like to have a finished product that would best a stock Z-28 at the minimum. I just couldn't stand to lose to such an eye sore. Another important point is that I want to stick with only proven mods that maintain the daily drivability of the car. Is it possible to obtain this level of performance without super/turbo charging? What would be the mod list for success?

Thanks

#4137 DHG

·
Registered
87 Posts
i dont lose by much to ss's and all i have is bbk longtubes($200), offroad x-pipe($200), u-drive crank pully($80), c&l 80mm maf kit($270), and nitto dr's($307)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 2918 on 2001-09-01 00:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I read that the Bullitt already comes with an underdrive pulley? Was I dreaming?

I would also like to add some mods to my stock car, but do not want to change the exhaust. My thoughts are, reprogrammed computer, 160 stat, fan switch, K&N filter, silencer screen removed.

What other mods can I do?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about gears? I have read the discussions and the 4.10's are looking like the ticket. Has anyone installed these? How many RPMs at 75 MPH do they cause? How about 1/4 mile times?

How about some weight savings? Anyone tried to shave a few pounds off the Bullitt?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: llama_boy on 2001-09-01 10:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
98 Posts
Someone with more car knowledge may be able to explain it better but apparently the underdrive pulley's we have are not that great. A lot of people have replaced them and been rewarded with performance increases.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I don't know who lead you to believe the Bullitt's stock pulleys were not that great because they in fact are. The difference on my car (at least one of the Bullitts that has a different than stock pulley arrangement) is that I replaced the originals with a set of BBK pulleys. The BBK underdrive altenator and water pump pulleys are the same size as stock on the Bullitt. The crank pulley however is where the difference is. The stock crank pulley is not an "underdrive" pulley it is the same as any stock GT. I used the BBK underdriven crank pulley and had significant gains which you can check out in earlier posts in the mod section or go to "[email protected]". Later I changed the BBK crank pulley out for the Steeda underdrive crank/harmonic balancer pulley soley because the Steeda is in my opinion is a much better design. Whereas BBK, ASP, and March are all piggy backed to the stock crank the Steeda stands alone as it serves as the harmonic balancer just as the stock does. I kept the BBK alt and water pulleys on simply because they are polished aluminum and look better under the hood than the stock. I hope that settles things for you.
Arthur

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get any available supercharger for our cars and set it at 8psi. Don't run the chip that comes with them, get one custom burned on a dyno with a very conservative tune. This will keep all stock Z-28's in your rearview mirror.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Has anyone installed a chip in their Bullitt, and dyno'd before and after?

Are these chips worth it? Do you actually gain more power with a basically stock car? Other then a K&N,fan switch,MAF screen removed, and 160 stat, my car is stock.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bullitt4995,
I got very significant gains with the PHP chip in my "slightly" modified Bullitt

·
Registered
204 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-01 19:43, roushraven99 wrote:
Bullitt4995,
I got very significant gains with the PHP chip in my "slightly" modified Bullitt
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Question, how will changing the stock crank pulley to an underdrive pulley affect the car as a whole other than an increase in HP? I've been thinking about changing the crank pulley, but heard that it could affect the charging system. Second, will removing the MAF screen harm anything? I'm using a K&N with silencer removed and am looking for some easy mods for right now. I just installed an alum driveshaft over the weekend. I can see this mod stuff getting very addicting! :smile:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Kurt,
Let me be the first to say that anytime you modify a car from stock you take on a risk. I would never make any comments to suggest that you would "never" have any problems. What I can offer is the results of what I have seen with my mods. Having made that disclaimer I can say that I have never had any problems with my Roush cars with aftermarket (Steeda) underdrive pulleys. As for the Bullitt with just over 1800 miles since adding the crank pulley I haven't had any problems. Although I don't expect any problems, that really isn't enough mileage to base any real conclusive information on. As for removal of the MAF screen, I have done this with all of my Mustangs from day one and never had any driveablilty issues either. If you're still concerned I'd suggest polling some of the other Mustang boards. When I checked a long time ago I came to the conclusion that with my mods that I shouldn't run into any problems. Finally, if you have warranty concerns just remember that the added part must be shown to have caused the problem in order to void warranty service.
Arthur

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about chips?

I live in Dallas and Dallas Mustangs has a custom tuned chip for $250. From what I understand they put the car on the dyno and tweak it until it gets the best pull. Has anyone used a chip from these guys?

Also I plan on a installing some gears in the "near" future, sould I hold off on the chip until I get the gears? What about other mods? like the al. driveshaft and the 160 stat? Should I do ALL of these and then have the chip burnt?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tanks! I appreciate the info even though I know the question has been asked many times. I read past posts and nobody had commented on charging probs, so was just curious. Just took a look at your site and WOW, what happened to that Mustang?!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Painful memory Kurt, very painful. Basically it was a combination of too much torque applied to a wet (go figure) muddy English road. I went into a flat spin at about 50 mph, went nose first down a 10-15 foot embankment, went nose over tail twice and came to rest with top down, wheels up and the tail in two feet of water. Amazingly the engine was still running but as you can tell from the pics there was no saving that "pony." Thank God I came away without a scratch, blemish or even a headache. Oh, one more thing I had it for exactly 90 days 14 of which were spent on a boat from Maryland to England. Like I said painful memory.
Arthur

·
Registered
204 Posts
OUCH! Glad to hear you came out of it alright without any injuries. Thanks again for the info though. I think I'm going to check into the Steeda pulleys and price out some 373 gears. Unfortunately, my big concern right now is that Bullitt #3272 was hit a couple of weeks ago in the front bumper. It's going into the body shop to get it replaced tomorrow, for the second time. The body shop did a horrible job repainting it the first time and missed a bunch of spots and didn't even get enough paint onto it. :sad: Very frustrating.

·
Registered
87 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-01 00:27, 01GTB wrote:
Where do you find BBK longtubes for $200? I need me some of those.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a friend that works at a junkyard and he got them off of a car there(heavily modded 01 Gt. vs. telephone poll he died on impact) and sold them to me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts