Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to bring the Bullitt to a 4th of July Show. It is still a little rough but we figured what the hell.

Any tips or tricks for getting the car ready the day of the show?

Set up to explain that this is a "Numbered Car"?

This is a "No Rope" show, am I ok with putting a "NO TOUCH" sign on the car?

We have to be there about two hours before the public shows up so we have a little time to prep it on site.

We have never shown a car before so any tips about prep, set up and displaying it after an hour road trip would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
Jimmy Ray said:
Clean clean clean... then clean some more
What Jimmy said.

Also, pay attention to things you may not normally think of...such as taking
the wheels off and cleaning the back sides of the wheels. While in display,
interior items such as all knobs in upright position, all seatbelts latched.
Clean the Engine bay, door sills, trunk drain chennels etc etc.......little things like these really add to making the car sparkle and look good.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
depends on how anal and stuff you want to be.

for me I try to have the car preped before hand. I don't go all nuts but I like to get it as clean as possible within reason. I also hate seeing detailing spray on the pavement around a car when being shown :D Usually noticeable around the tires

be sure to bring some folding chairs, unbrella/tent if you have one, and a cooler with refreshments if you're going to be there for a long time.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish us luck!

I have spent the last 4 hours in the garage cleaning everything I can think of. I know I am missing something becuse I am going back to start looking again. I will give everyone a heads up tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Cars shows can be fun if you want them to be. A great way to see nice cars and meet other car people. You can also get some ideas, but most of all have fun and don't get caught up in the my car is better than your car mode. I am going to drive about 2 1/2 hours tomorrow to a car show. I just enjoy seeing the cars and meeting some car people. If I want a trophy I will go buy one.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had a BLAST!! Didn't win anything but it was fun talking to people and explaining what the Bullitt is. Out of all the people I talked to, only one person knew about the Bullitt.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
"We had a blast" that is good to hear, winning is just a little icing on the cake. Having fun is what it should be about.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Cars shows can be fun if you want them to be. A great way to see nice cars and meet other car people. You can also get some ideas, but most of all have fun and don't get caught up in the my car is better than your car mode. I am going to drive about 2 1/2 hours tomorrow to a car show. I just enjoy seeing the cars and meeting some car people. If I want a trophy I will go buy one.
I enjoy my car, and enjoy cleaning it. I do do things to clean it up that I haven't done to any other car I have ever owned. But I am definitely less obsessive about the clean up than say Jimmy Ray. I think I actually cleaned everything thoroughly a couple months ago. Not that that lasted, as I got caught out again in the rain. It has been raining here so much that I haven't even taken it out of the garage in a week. (Almost like I'm English David.) Not that it's clean right now. I just don't want to make it any worse than it already is underneath. I have wiped down the underside only once in 15 months of ownership, and it is no joy to rub the undercarriage...:neutral:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Jack: If you feel comfortable talking to a judge after the judging is over it is really worth it to ask him/her to give you some feedback on your car. This can be very helpful. You might even want to ask him/her for the judging sheet so you can start improving on anything they marked down. Basically you know there are four main areas they judge, those being a)wheels&tires, b)body/paint/shine, c) trunk and d)engine. I have my car looking as perfect as possible (except for the tires) before I leave the house and then when I get to the show I go over the car with the CA duster and then go over it with the detail spray. I also do the tires at the car show because if I do them at home they just get messed up on the way. I am going on too long her but I am thinking it would be fun to have a section of the archives just devoted to car show tips. Hey, sounds like you had fun and that is the most important thing.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Good ideas dennisbaker, a judge can point out weak areas.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips Dennis!

We didn't even think about asking/talking to the Judges afterwards.:frown:

Now that I think about it, we had the trunk closed the whole show because HerPony had her purse in there. We probably took a BIG hit there on Judging with it closed and we did clean it good!

We learned A LOT about "Displaying" the car just walking around, asking questions and seeing how everyone did theirs.

All in all, we had a great time, met some cool people, learned alot, and it was a free show to enter!!

EDIT:

I hope it is ok that I copy and pasted some of the info from the Archives for display at our next show. The most often question I got asked was, "What makes this different from a regular GT?"

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
YES, clean, clean, clean!..... Polish, Rub, Polish!

I won "best of category" with DHG1248 last September at the Mustang and Ford Show held by the Mid-Michigan Mustang Club Of America.

The car is 100% stock. I took my poster that tells the story of the Bullitt, Steve McQueen and all. I also attached two JJZ109 plates and the judges commented on how cool they thought that was. Everything on the car is original and it has 4800 miles.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PhotoRick said:
So today is July 5th. How'd you do?
Learned some things about displaying our car. Had a good time explaining to people about the Bullitt, alot of them had no idea.

Since parking was limited, only 80 cars were allowed to register, we ended up in the American 1970-Present Class. That was rough!!

We didn't win anything but had a blast looking at the variety of cars.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I enjoy being obessed with my car, and cleaning it to a point, after while you just plane get tired of it... So I hardly ever take my Bullitt out unless for a serious show...

So instead I take the Mach1, I vacum before we leave for the show then park it, detail spray, put crap on the tires and wipe down the wheels and valve covers and walk away.. and enjoy the show.... Then go cruising afterwards

Always take folding chairs, sun screen (I SF45 in each cars detail box) and a cooler with drinks and some munches, unless the goodie bay is spiecal I use it for trash..... Oh wear a Hat

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Quick tip about the trunk

HisPony said:
Learned some things about displaying our car. Had a good time explaining to people about the Bullitt, alot of them had no idea.

Since parking was limited, only 80 cars were allowed to register, we ended up in the American 1970-Present Class. That was rough!!

We didn't win anything but had a blast looking at the variety of cars.
When you mentioned the trunk it made me think about a tip to share with everyone. I have found it difficult to get "all" the little white specks off the main carpet and off the trunk carpet/liner. I discovered that going over all carpet surfaces with a lint roller works great. With regard to the trunk, I always place my fire extinguisher setting upright in the trunk. At the car shows I attend you get counted off 1 point if you don't display the fire extinguisher. Some guys also display a first aid kit.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Dennis I also use a lint roller, they are great on the seats also. I have two rollers fully loaded and two extra rolls. Would work on a convertable top also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts