Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the UK fuel contains 5% Ethanol with proposed change to 10%.

Does anyone know what percentage of Ethanol our cars are compatible with as Ford customer services don't simply have a e-mail address on their website, just social medial (time difference) or old fashioned post.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Up to 10% should be fine, but chances of water in fuel if car sits a long time. Add fuel stabilizer if storing more than a month or so.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
10%... no problem. The US has used 10% for a long time now. If it goes over that, then you would need to be concerned.

This is for a vehicle that is used regularly. If a vehicle sits a lot, then you have to be concerned. Make sure you use a fuel stabilizer if the car is going to sit provided you can't find ethanol-free fuel.

What you really have to be concerned about will be small engines such as lawn mowers, etc. Boats are especially at risk with Ethanol in the fuel as moisture will cause the Ethanol and gas to separate causing all kinds of issues. If at all possible, never use Ethanol fuel in a boat.

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
I'm in complete agreement with both posts above. The state of Oregon had to back up a bit on making only 10% ethanol available because of boating and small engine problems...the alcohol was ruining small 2 stroke engines like in chain saws. So, a 92 octane "pure gas" was made available here. Only a few stations sell it, but it can be found.

Your '01 should be fine on 10%...but expect a similar drop in mileage. A clever way for them to increase tax revenue while claiming to save the planet...

Aircraft also need no booze gas...alcohol's moisture drawing ability would give them frozen fuel lines in the colder high altitudes. Not a nice feeling when a small aircraft engine dies...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car normally gets a run every week or two, but as the UK is in lock-down it hadn't been used for a month.

I got to take it for a run to work this week as that is an essential journey.

Thanks for the support, it was things like seals and pipes I was concerned about as I have read that is having an effect on classic cars.

·
Premium Member
13,786 Posts
Andy, gasohol is bad for old cars...but our Bullitts of all model years use materials designed to resist the corrosiveness of alcohol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts