Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see many new threads on the bullitt chat page, so Im going to throw this one out there. Post things about the bullitt that you've been wondering about, things you think ford did wrong, could have done better, for future bullitt refrence etc. and so on. It could be general things pretaining to the mustang chassis, wiring or other feature that really irritates you. I'll start (because I always wonder these things and forget to ask about them later):

1. THE BATTERY TERMINALS: why did ford make a plastic cover for the positive terminal for the positive post, and not the negative??? Mine negative clamp completely rusted and corroded making it a pain in the a$$ to get off. I pretty much had to vice grip the screw out and then cut the entire clamp off, only to put a replacement clamp on from autozone. F%&#! Annoying but not really that big of a probelm, unless it RUSTS! A plastic cover would have prevented that for sure.

2. EXHAUST MANIFOLDS: why did ford put a balloon style fitting on one side of the header's collectors, and an gasket style static fitting on the other? WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THIS? Furthermore, why is one side of the bullitt's exhaust route longer than the other? Maybe for convienence? I really didnt have a problem getting to the rear manifold bolts...

3. HOOD: why couldn't we get gas struts for the hood? Why to we have to rely on some dinky rod to hold the hood up???

Just some thoughts on things I have been wondering about with the bullitt since I got it. I know there are more that I have thought of but I cant recall them at the moment. Let me say I love my bullitt and think its near perfect, with exception of a few flaws here and there. Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would say the cover for the + side of the battery is for your safety. Keeping it out of contact with a metal object while doing work under the hood.
As far as the exhaust fitting on one side vs. the other, have no idea.
The rod to hold the hood up, I have no idea other than cost.

For the negative post, put a thin film of grease or use those felt washers on it. Just keep it clean, very easy to do.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Battery terminal is a grounding/safety issue.:eek:

Exhaust manifold is probably an assembly issue at the factory.:frown:

Hood rod is how they have done the Mustang and all cars that are less than the Crown Vic since the Mustang II.:redface:

I don't have any beefs about the Bullitt other than what everyone has already beat to death.:wink: I am glad they put the cover on the terminal. And don't care about the other two things. Good questions though!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
1. THE BATTERY TERMINALS: why did ford make a plastic cover for the positive terminal for the positive post, and not the negative??? Mine negative clamp completely rusted and corroded making it a pain in the a$$ to get off. I pretty much had to vice grip the screw out and then cut the entire clamp off, only to put a replacement clamp on from autozone. F%&#! Annoying but not really that big of a probelm, unless it RUSTS! A plastic cover would have prevented that for sure.

2. EXHAUST MANIFOLDS: why did ford put a balloon style fitting on one side of the header's collectors, and an gasket style static fitting on the other? WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THIS? Furthermore, why is one side of the bullitt's exhaust route longer than the other? Maybe for convienence? I really didnt have a problem getting to the rear manifold bolts...

3. HOOD: why couldn't we get gas struts for the hood? Why to we have to rely on some dinky rod to hold the hood up???
1. Mine are fine after 80k. Still look new :D No complaints here and as noted, the nagative doesn't need a cover as it's a ground. If it did, I unhohestly don't thing it would help with rusting, but who knows.

2. Yes, this is rather annoying. I haven't noticed much with a longer route, but I know that I always fight with exhaust on these things. A welded H pipe is a ***** to get into place after removed. My B has a X pipe so it's quite easy. However, the exhaust manifold bolt had to strip and screw up so I spent a LOT of time last time getting it back together and still isn't right.

3. I am happy there isn't struts :D I love the prop rod. I can push the hood back to basically veriticle if I want, it will always stay proped (eventually gas shocks wear out).

things I don't like... hmmm...

panel gap & fitment isn't as good as it should be IMHO

better shifter from the factory

a few others things I can't think of at the moment, but may later. I gotta pack up though and head out of hte office.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am not a big fan of the mudflaps, especially once you lower the car.

More HP from the factory would have been nice too.

But overall, I love this car and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ever wonder

I'll add one to the list: why did they install a digital odometer? I hate it. If this car is supposed to be respresentative of a retro looking car, why the digital odometer? More hp would of been nice too.
Otherwise, I love this car!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think Ford should have deleted the grill and pony and left the "GT" badges off the fenders, and put on larger exhaust tips

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Hood!!! When I had my Bullitt I always hated the hood. Ford could've gone with a specific hood for the Bullitt, hell even the V6 hood would've been better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ezekial said:
1. Mine are fine after 80k. Still look new :D No complaints here and as noted, the nagative doesn't need a cover as it's a ground. If it did, I unhohestly don't thing it would help with rusting, but who knows.

2. Yes, this is rather annoying. I haven't noticed much with a longer route, but I know that I always fight with exhaust on these things. A welded H pipe is a ***** to get into place after removed. My B has a X pipe so it's quite easy. However, the exhaust manifold bolt had to strip and screw up so I spent a LOT of time last time getting it back together and still isn't right.

3. I am happy there isn't struts :D I love the prop rod. I can push the hood back to basically veriticle if I want, it will always stay proped (eventually gas shocks wear out).

things I don't like... hmmm...

panel gap & fitment isn't as good as it should be IMHO

better shifter from the factory

a few others things I can't think of at the moment, but may later. I gotta pack up though and head out of hte office.
I think that the last owner of my bullitt (there was someone who owned it for 9 months after the last imboc member) did NOT take care of 976 well at all. I am in the process of repairing/restoring everything that it ailing it at the moment, so brighter days ahead for 976! Man the lower radiator is all bent up and rusted, front bumper damaged, looks like driver door has been hit b/c it doens't line up with quarterpanel, steering links bad, on and on etc. etc. So once I take care of this stuff I will be golden.

It just pains me to see a bullitt mistreated. I want her to be the best of the best, fully restored to factory conditions (I'll never get there but itll be close). Some repairs have been frustrating. But to be honest 95% of the bullitt is problem free (so far). Its a very solid steed. I love this car guys, shes the best. But there are some improvements that we should have seen from ford, as stated in many of the above posts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rblack4405 said:
I would say the cover for the + side of the battery is for your safety. Keeping it out of contact with a metal object while doing work under the hood.
My point was that it would have been better had ford put a cover on the negative terminal also.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Keeping costs down on the Mustang is what makes it a good buy for the money. More parts, more money cost to the customer.

·
Registered
565 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Keeping costs down on the Mustang is what makes it a good buy for the money. More parts, more money cost to the customer.
Agreed. For me, part of the major appeal of the Mustang is the low initial cost, the lack of refinement, and the limitless possibilities of modifications. I could list several things that I would've liked to see on the Bullitt, but if it had those things, I wouldn't be able to afford it!

But just for kicks, here's a few....
-The shaker hood would've been cool.
-3.73 gears
-Headlights that automatically turn on when needed
-Sunroof (seriously, Ford would sell ALOT more Stangs if they could just add a frickin sunroof option)

·
Car Whisperer
20,891 Posts
My pet pieves:

1. 3650 tranny

2. Using Bullitt wheels and then putting them on everything else since. They didn't do that with the Mach 1 wheels.

3. 3650 tranny.

4. The Bullitt hood with the scoop was supposed to be Bullitt, but wound up on other Mustangs anyway.

5. 3650 tranny

6. 2v Motor when they coulda done the 4v

7. 3650 tranny

8. different fender emblems than on the regular GT's

9. 3650 tranny

·
Registered
565 Posts
DragonBullitt said:
My pet pieves:
2. Using Bullitt wheels and then putting them on everything else since. They didn't do that with the Mach 1 wheels.
That's cause the Mach 1 wheels are the ugliest wheels available on ANY Mustang ever. (IMO) :smile:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd have to say that the thing that bothers me most about the Bullitt, is the stuff that gets rusty even though you garage the car. Would it have been that difficult to spray a little flat black on there? Other than that, I think I can live with the car. :)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
I think that the last owner of my bullitt (there was someone who owned it for 9 months after the last imboc member) did NOT take care of 976 well at all. I am in the process of repairing/restoring everything that it ailing it at the moment, so brighter days ahead for 976! Man the lower radiator is all bent up and rusted, front bumper damaged, looks like driver door has been hit b/c it doens't line up with quarterpanel, steering links bad, on and on etc. etc. So once I take care of this stuff I will be golden.

It just pains me to see a bullitt mistreated. I want her to be the best of the best, fully restored to factory conditions (I'll never get there but itll be close). Some repairs have been frustrating. But to be honest 95% of the bullitt is problem free (so far). Its a very solid steed. I love this car guys, shes the best. But there are some improvements that we should have seen from ford, as stated in many of the above posts.
good stuff

good luck with it :)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Overall, I love the car. The 3650 is a real negative and I just wish Tremec would either fix them free for us or give us a great deal on a fix. Another thing that really bugs me is the fact that the axle is not painted. The axle on my 98 GT is painted but I think that was the last year they did it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I guess costs are a big factor in determining wether you buy the bullitt or not. The real balance point is trying to separate it from a GT at a affordable cost, and for the most part ford succeeded.

I agree 100% on the transmission issue, although I havent had any problems yet. Something beefier like the T56 wold have been nice. And I agree that the bullitt needs a different hood, some kind of cross between the shaker and the cobra's heat extractor. Maybe a bigger scoop? I think they could have done more with the side vents also. Make them functional! That'd be really sweet...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts