1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I'll never forget the Ceasars Palace water fountain jump. I was absolutely hooked to scooters from that time on. I don't own one now, but trace my fascination and love of them back to Evil Kneivel's jump that evening.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
:-(

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
I saw him jump in Detroit and saw the canyon jump live on TV.

I drove the Bullitt to Florida a couple of days ago and flew back today. I was not more than 50 miles from Clearwater today.

I was a fan for sure. Too bad he couldn't manage things a little better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
...and he didn't die from jumping a motorcycle over anything ridiculous.....Diabetes beat the legend...:cry:

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
BigBullitt said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_knievel.

I remember the Snake River Gorge attempted jump, or whatever it was. As I recall, it was a fiasco.

EVIL KNIEVEL & the "Happening" or "The Fizzle"...

...took place just 125 miles east down I-84 from here. This is a paper article from a guy that was there. I recall reading an article in "Car & Driver" about this back in 74.
After watching "Gangland" (about the HA) Thursday, I find the last paragraph interesting...

Evil Knieval and American Hero ? ? ? ...I don't think so!!!

Columnist Tim Woodward recalls the day Evel Knievel tried to jump the Snake River Canyon

BY TIM WOODWARD - [email protected]
Edition Date: 12/01/07

Seen from the vantage point of 33 years later, Evel Knievel's 1974 "jump" over the Snake River Canyon is thought by some to have been historic.
It wasn't. It was chaos.

I was there. Part of a team sent to cover the event, I spent three days in Twin Falls as the crowd grew in size and volatility.

It was, in the terminology of the day, a "happening." Spectators and groupies came by the thousands from all over the country, bringing drugs, alcohol and nudity in profusion. It was Woodstock without the music.

Or the peace and love.

As the countdown to Knievel's launch grew shorter, tempers did the same. Conflicts between conservative locals and free-wheeling visitors were commonplace. It was oppressively hot and crowded, and that combined with substance abuse turned a segment of the crowd ugly.

People broke into beer trucks and threw unopened cans and bottles at anyone handy. A Knievel handler brandished a shotgun to keep the crowd away from the man who had started it all. Knievel himself fumed that the event had become a monster, then slugged an NBC cameraman who said he hadn't seen anything like it "outside of wars and riots."

Moments before the launch - the fizzle as it would come to be called - hotheads near the canyon rim tried to push those on the canyon rim over the edge because they had a better view. Law enforcement officers did their best to restrain them, but gradually lost ground. As one of those on the rim, I remember that part vividly.

Our unexpected saviors: the Hells Angels. They arrived just in time, helping the cops out by knocking heads. The crowd pulled back, and those of us on the rim lived to tell the story.
Far from historic, it was three days of insanity best forgotten.
Except for the Hells Angels.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
He was one of my BIGGEST hero's growing up. I remember after watching his jumps for the next week my brother and I would set up ramps in the yard and as we're hurling our bicycles through the air over our home made jumps we would yell EVIL KNEIVEL as we're flying through the air. Of course some of those jumps ended up in a similar fashion to the Ceasars Palace jump! He was directly responsible for some stitches in my mouth on one particular jump!

I was such a fan I even had the toy (maybe some of you remember this toy!) where you would put him and his motorcycle in this device and turn this rotary handle REALLY fast then hit the botton and off he would go over a ramp you would get with the toy. Or more often into an inatimate object which was probably closer to the truth which of course was the untimely brakeage of said toy!

My cousin Ryan Capes a year or so ago was the first daredevil to actually clear 300 feet on a motorcycle jump! But I'm sure if Evil would have had the technology they have today he would have cleared most of those jumps. But then again, is that why we watched? Admit it, did we REALLY want to see him make it? We live in a sick world that I'm glad to be a part of. Long live Evil Kneivel, he will ALWAYS be one of my biggest hero's.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
:D

Hey Rikki...

...I guess we all have our "Heros" for what ever reasons! I have some "interesting" people I've looked up to for some reason or another. I guesss "Hero" and "Roll Model" are labels we put on people for what ever reason is suitable.

I guess one reason I have some admiration for him was his joice in Bikes to try most of his stunts!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Hey Karl, I remember when he would jump the WHOLE family would get together to watch it, dad, uncles, cousins it was a big deal in our family. Maybe it was a Midwest thing!!!! :grin:

kfengler said:
:D

Hey Rikki...

...I guess we all have our "Heros" for what ever reasons! I have some "interesting" people I've looked up to for some reason or another. I guesss "Hero" and "Roll Model" are labels we put on people for what ever reason is suitable.

I guess one reason I have some admiration for him was his joice in Bikes to try most of his stunts!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts