Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have a stock exhaust on my Bullitt. How many of you guys just did the mid pipe with stock mufflers? Here in Illinois i need cats to pass emissions.
I eventually would like to do a complete system minus the headers. If the numbers on trick flow heads with cams look promising will consider LT headers etc.......
Just don't want to spend cash on something and then just to swap it all out. Spring around the corner i feel the need to do something with Bullitt.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I put on a catted x-pipe and left the stock mufflers for the same reason you listed. Turns out I no longer live in an area where emissions are an issue, but I suppose it is better than stock. I think I'd do an h-pipe if I did it again. Even though the sound isn't very noticeably different I think the h-pipe is more muscle car sounding.

·
Registered
967 Posts
h-pipes and x-pipes sound better with different kinds of mufflers. I believe that the rule of thumb (don't quote me on this) is that h- pipes sound better with chambered mufflers and x-pipes with a different kind. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I went with an off road h-pipe on mine and just change it out when i have to smog. its not bad at all. take 30 min. to swap out for me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
No emissions here so I swapped out the stock mid for a Mac H without the cats.
It is hands down the best sounding mustang I have ever heard.
Quiet at idle but is loud with a throaty sound when your on it.
Even if you have to go with the cats I highly recommend the H with the stock mufflers

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
PETE_FISH said:
Even if you have to go with the cats I highly recommend the H with the stock mufflers

True that.

·
Charles
13,307 Posts
PETE_FISH said:
I agree.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have the JBA o/r H pipe on mine with the stock catback. I have seen several posts saying that the o/r H pipes sounds great with the stock catback, and it does except for the 2000-2500 rpm range. Mine sounds kind of "rattly" in that rpm range (for lack of a better way to describe it). I know most are using the Mac H pipe but I got the JBA because it is stainless steel and was only $250. Still I like it more than the stock H pipe. I have been considering changing the catback to either the MRT or the JBA. Then I'll probably think it's too loud... LOL

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Joey,
You may also want to consider a MAC Pro-Chamber mid pipe. I had both a catted X pipe and an o/r X pipe on mine and didn't really like either one very much. I love my Pro-Chamber though. Like the H pipes, it has the low tone to it.

·
Car Whisperer
21,575 Posts
MRT catted H, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys. This was the feed back i was looking for. Now need to cruise the classifieds to find one.......lol cat h pipe.....

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'll have the o/r UPR X on mine tomorrow with the stock catback. I've heard mixed reviews about the o/r X and stock catback from people, so I guess I'll see tomorrow. I did hear an o/r H and stock catback, and it was one of the best sounding Mustangs I've ever heard.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I went ahead and had the o/r X done today with the stock cat-back, and going down the road with a load on it, it sounds good, but not great. Revving in neutral, it's not that great. Going to order the Magnaflow cat-back for it next week.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s19.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/rich1034/Bullitt/exhaust.flv"></embed>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.