Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Since my profession requires me to move quite often, and I always wind up in harsh smog inspection states, I would only want exhaust mods that can pass full inspection.

I also like the sound of the stock and the look of the rolled tips, and since the cat-back option is too much moola for me right now that's not an option. Ditto for long tube headers.

My best option, I think, would be a mod that simply amplifies the sound a bit, making it a bit meaner. Sounds like my best bet would be a Highflow "H" pipe. These come with 2 cats rather than 4. I assume this would pass visual inspection, but would it pass the sniffer? Also, are other options required with only 2 cats (MILS, etc...)?

Some of you are installing offroad "H"s with fake cats that could pass a visual inspection...Why? All inspections I've had to suffer through included visual and sniffer at idle and speed.
Thanks for any input as I try to understand my options here :smile:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Most people I know with OR pipe pass the sniffer without any cats, but fail the visual(obviously). I have also heard of people failing the visual with less than the stock number of cats. You might want to go talk to someplace that does emissions and see if they would fail a set of high-flow cats because of that. Unfortunately that would only work for your locale. You could just keep the old pipe around for emissions time???

·
Registered
543 Posts
In Georgia they do both a sniffer and visual. On the visual they don't count the number of cats and then compare it to factory specifications. They just make sure you have cats. Hi flow cats will pass the sniffer test. The H will give you a throatier sound. The X will give you a gurgle at idle and give you a NASCAR sound at WOT. H pipes and 2 camber mufflers pair up well. An X pipe w/cats pair up nicely with straight through mufflers such as Magnaflows or Magnapacks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent responses guys, thanks! Very informative. Sort of confirms the things I've been reading. I think a Highflow "H" with the stock cat back system may be for me for now...pricewise and soundwise and legal wise.

Black#5578 born Wed 8-22-01
SteedaTri-Ax,DensChrgr100mm,MGW satin & shift handle,FordRcng3.73's & Alum.Drvshft,rear mudgrds,30mm H&R spacers rear whls,AutoLogic chip

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis on 2001-11-03 16:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the last post here, I've found a new 2.5" MAC high flow "H" for $370 (part #MAC C4699). Let me know if this is the best option for me. From what you all say, this would pass inspection.
Also, I've heard that aftermarket cats are "crap". I'm not sure what this means...maybe they crack?
Input on these items would be much appreciated! Thanks again!
EDIT: I just read on Ron's site ( http://www.s-e-racing.com ) that Magnaflow has come out with a stainless steel catted "X" that is supeior to other highflow products. The cats flow better and are made better (the check enigne light doesn't come on after a while). I may go with this option over MAC.
Black#5578 born Wed 8-22-01
SteedaTri-Ax,DensChrgr100mm,MGW satin & shift handle,FordRcng3.73's & Alum.Drvshft,rear mudgrds,30mm H&R spacers rear whls,AutoLogic chip

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis on 2001-11-07 13:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
204 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-06 15:20, Dennis wrote:
Since the last post here, I've found a new 2.5" MAC high flow "H" for $370 (part #MAC C4699). Let me know if this is the best option for me. From what you all say, this would pass inspection.
Also, I've heard that aftermarket cats are "crap". I'm not sure what this means...maybe they crack?
Input on these items would be much appreciated! Thanks again!

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey Denis, I've been wondering the same thing about the different exhausts but didn't know how to word my question until I read your post...so thanks for asking my question for me! :smile: MUS408, what are you running on your car and have you had any problems with VA inspection?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts