Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine got so hot the left exhaust pipe rubber support plug melted alittle so now my left tail pipe sits just a tad lower than my right and I am going to get it replaced. Anyone else with the same problem?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt 717 on 2001-07-10 06:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I went to the dealer and they said that it shouldnt be that hot back there, but I did get the pipe fixed or inline with the other. Put a floor jack with a cloth over it and hoisted it. It worked ok. You'd think that they would have used something besides rubber. So I guess that fixes that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That actually ran through my mind and as I was at the dealer I completely forgot to mention it. Darn it! I'll give'em a call and see what happens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I remember after I was driving one time , I went back and touched the exhaust pipe, and It was very hot. Do I haave something to worry about?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well went back and all my temps checked a-okay, so not too lean. I do have to remember that here in Okla. it is in the low 100's. HOT!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
bob, when i grab a hold of my exhaust headers after driving for an hour or so, my hands get burned!!
you see any problems?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dunno if it is just me or do any of you all know anything about turbo cars and how they work??? just think no heat in turbo cars because the heat is all transfered out by the turbo and is udilized as power, but with a naturally aspirated engine all heat goes to the exhaust and catylitic converters, because a catylitic converter does not work until it at a certain degree... so when an aluminized object such as our exhaust is in contact with a catylitic converter which is transferreing heat through a highly conductable source such as aluminum it will heat up to greater temps faster than any other metal... just a thought of good old sience.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Exhaust "drives" the turbo, but does not recycle exhaust to the engine. Air going into the intake on a turbo car is hotter than ambient because the fresh air is being compressed. Actually the the heat created in the exhaust system of a turbo car would likely be a little hotter than naturally aspirated, another byproduct of the turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts