Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool: Hi all. Im the proud new owner of an 08 bullitt and i love it.. But i would like a new exhause..My question was i have jba longtube headers and a jba offroad h-pipe sitting in my garage and i was wondering if a borla cat-back system would fit this setup or if its just for the stock pipes? Thanks in advance:cool:

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
You are opening up a can of worms here. One of the reasons to buy the Bullitt is for the exhaust sound. All I can say is, wait until you get a couple thousand miles on the car and then revisit it. If you already have the miles and you still don't like it then do what you will. It seems about half the people here love the stock sound, myself included, but many others aren't satisfied. There's quite a bit of experience here with exhaust mods on these cars.

In your case, if you go long tube, you are entering into generic Mustang territory. A major part of the sound comes from your H-pipe and with long tubes that is changed so you are basically like any Mustang so you can draw upon the entire S197 community for information.

Nice to see another Bullitt in Detroit too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
I would suggest you wait on the Cat-back system until after you install the Headers and H-pipe.

I replaced the Cats with an H-pipe and love the exhaust note that I have :toocool:

I think you will be pleasantly surprised :surprised at the excellent sound that you will get maintaining the Bullitt mufflers with your JBA components :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
x2!

Arh longtubes here with off road h. Try them with the stock mufflers! The bullitt mufflers are the most important part in the bullitt sound equation!

Be wary of the jba long tubes on a bullitt! We tried two brand new sets but neither would clear the driverside trans housing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
bullittmania said:
:cool: Hi all. Im the proud new owner of an 08 bullitt and i love it.. But i would like a new exhause..My question was i have jba longtube headers and a jba offroad h-pipe sitting in my garage and i was wondering if a borla cat-back system would fit this setup or if its just for the stock pipes? Thanks in advance:cool:

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
Hey, welcome to the site! I also have a set of JBA long tubes waiting to be put on. I just need to buy the O/R h-pipe, prothane motor mounts and a tune before i get them on. I will be starting off with the stock axle back exhaust and see how it sounds. I must admit that the bullitt exhaust does sound good for a stock exhaust, but I still want it louder and the performance gain. Post up some vids of before the long tubes and after!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I would go with the JBA LT's and h-pipe with stock mufflers, it sounds really good! Don't forget your dyno tune and let us know what kind of numbers u get.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,220 Posts
I went with the Ford Racing Axle-backs only!
I didn't want to lose the Bullitt sound,I just wanted my car louder.
If you want more sound and keep the Bullitt signature sound, then just change your axle-backs.
If you want more power go with new cams @ $800 :}
Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhUqD7iK8w
Here is another youtube video of a Stock Bullitt using Violator pipes for axle-backs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIjQXCVhto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:cool: :cool:
BULLITT said:
I would go with the JBA LT's and h-pipe with stock mufflers, it sounds really good! Don't forget your dyno tune and let us know what kind of numbers u get.

This is exactly what im planning on. Im getting two dyno pulls when i go for install. If i dont like the sound with the stock axle back i can just have the borla cat back put on. I do have a question though. Once i get the header and h-pipe put on and have the tune done and maybe a few weeks later decide i want to put the catback on will i have to get it re-tuned? Also i will definatley post a vid up. Im looking to have it all done by next weekend!:smile::smile:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
you go brother

bullittmania,

this sounds like an awsome plan. i have a feeling that the stock mufflers with the jba longtubes and jba o/r h pipes are going to rock! that's pretty cool that you are going to get a couple dyno runs also. i have these same items being shipped right now, and i am planning on sticking with the factory mufflers. thanks for the info! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,220 Posts
I can't wait to hear the results:cloud9:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
bullittmania said:
:cool: :cool: Once i get the header and h-pipe put on and have the tune done and maybe a few weeks later decide i want to put the catback on will i have to get it re-tuned?
I am not 100% sure, but I think all the tunes shut off the O2 sensors as a standard. So, it should not matter if you are Cat'd or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One small change...still going with the same setup but instead of jba the headers and h will be kooks. My shop said they were a little better quality. Cost a little more but as long as it sounds good its all gravy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,355 Posts
bullittmania said:
One small change...still going with the same setup but instead of jba the headers and h will be kooks. My shop said they were a little better quality. Cost a little more but as long as it sounds good its all gravy!
Kooks are the way to Gooooooooooooooooooo




tigerhonaker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Do you have the part # for those ford racing axel backs?
I googled them and they list a GTA and SGT after the number.
Thanks Bill, Bullitt 0352
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Avi8tor767 said:
Do you have the part # for those ford racing axel backs?
I googled them and they list a GTA and SGT after the number.
Thanks Bill, Bullitt 0352
There are several Ford Racing Axle-Backs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but here are a few I found.

M-5230-GTA: Originally part of the FR1 Performance Pack (2005+). Looks like a standard Mustang GT muffler, but "throatier" with street manners and polished tips.

M-5230-SVT1: Shelby GT500 (2007+).

M-5230-SGT: Shelby GT500 (2007+). More aggressive (louder) than the factory Shelby muffler. I "think" Shelby's have an X-Pipe, where as our Bullitt's have an H-Pipe.

M-5230-5GT: Mustang GT (2005+). These axle-backs are commonly called "Stingers" and manufactured by Borla for Ford.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,012 Posts
Chip that's true, except the M-5230-GTA has a SS polished 4" outer diameter tip with a 3" inner.
They are used on the SGT and Foose Mustang.
They are both louder and throatier than stock GT mufflers, but 50 State legal.

There is also a M-5230-GTB which is the same as on our Bullitt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
thanks for the info guys. was looking to make mine sound louder and throaty, without changing the H-pipe, havent decided yet and most sound clips are poor quality. would also want them to be stainless.
Bill
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top