Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday I was looking at buying an extended warranty, since mine the original 3 years have passed a long time ago. I found a company (http://www.continentalwarranty.com) that claims to offer me a "NEW" car warranty for 6yrs... for $2799, this offer is only good for those who call for the first time... if you are not ready to get now,do not call or you will not be able to get it latter on (look at question 16: http://www.continentalwarranty.com/resource_center/extended_warranty_faq/faq16.php#focus).
I enrolled yesterday, they are going to send me the info by mail and I have 30 days to review it, then keep or cancel it for a full refund.

The good thing I guess is they let you make payments... 295 down and 24 payment of $104.33, if you make payment in full they even give a tank of gas!

Anyway, has anyone had any experiences with Extended Warranties? Do you believe that over the next 6 years you would expend more than $2799 in repairs?

Help me please!

Thanks,
Bullitt1668

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Hard to say. But the aftermarket warranty companies love to turn you down for things. I don't know if you wouldn't be better to just keep the car well maintained and pay as you go. Plus do they know that your car is heavily modified? It may void any type of warranty whether or not it was done by the dealer. Be very careful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ask what shops they use in your area. Might be a good idea to see which ones they use and if they are up to your standards. I highly doubt they would just give you the money for the parts to fix it yourself

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Absolutely NOT for so many reasons. Lot's of red flags with what they told you.

Non-factory warranty companies have a very bad reputation. Many will not pay out and use lame excuses for the non-payment. I think this is the company that doesn't even let you see the contract until you sign up. OUCH!

Want more...visit this website: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/092/ripoff0092243.htm

Don't walk away from this...RUN.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I bought a car that had an extended FoMoCo warranty. So far I have had it in once, and it was taken care of by the dealer. Personally, I don't care for anything beyond what Ford offers. It has been a waste of money. Best to keep some money on hand in a savings, and pay yourself every month instead of a stranger. If you need it, you have it. If you don't need the money to fix the car, you still have your money. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
NOOOOO WAY!

First, it is not a Ford warranty and you can bet the company will invent limitless reasons why your repair does not qualify under the terms of the warranty.

Second, do you really think that your car will require $3000 in repairs in the next six years? I suppose that depends on how you drive it.

BUT, you had better have an attorney review the fine print because normal mods and mild performance driving and any possible excuse may void or limit your coverage.

I SUGGEST YOU SPEAK WITH AT LEAST THREE SERVICE MANAGERS AT THREE DIFFERENT FORD DEALERSHIPS TO SEE HOW THE WARRANTY COMPANY HAS DONE FOR PAST REPAIR JOBS.

Oh yes, I bought a Ford extended waranty that takes me out to seven years on my 04 GT. I am coming up on 4 years in July and I am beginning to feel that I wasted a pile of money, but we will see.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
I bought a car that had an extended FoMoCo warranty. So far I have had it in once, and it was taken care of by the dealer. Personally, I don't care for anything beyond what Ford offers. It has been a waste of money. Best to keep some money on hand in a savings, and pay yourself every month instead of a stranger. If you need it, you have it. If you don't need the money to fix the car, you still have your money. Just my opinion.
GREAT IDEA, DAVE!

Take your monthly warranty payments and put them in an interest-bearing savings account. You WILL get your money's worth that way.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did the Ford ESP extended warranty on my 04 Mach just before the factory warranty expired last summer. I chose the middle of the price plan, powertrain plus some other coverage. I extended up to 100,000 miles, I think it is a total of 76 months. It was about $1,100.00. I did a lot of searching on the internet for the best price. I was concerned about the Mach 1 32v DOHC heads and the valve problems some have had.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I would listen to these guys.

Don't do it. I promise they will find every reason to deny a claim.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I worked at an Ford dealer for 17 yrs....have seen numerous aftermarket warranty companies file bankruptcy and leave all the customers at a great loss. Best to stay away from any aftermarket extended warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for all the great advise. I will definably visit several shops around town and ask about any history w/ this company. To be honest w/ you I hate to spent this money if I don't need to. One of the things that attracted me was that if I didn't use the warranty in the six year period, I would get a full refund. Now, this doesn't mean much since all they go to do is approve some small BS claim so wouldn't get a refund. Another thing that was kinda kool, if I sold the car (witch it will never happen) or totaled it (with I hope it never happens), they would pro-rate the time I've had the warranty and refund me for the time I didn't use.

Once I get the info I'll review and most likely it take it to a lawyer and have it analyzed.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Save your money, some dealerships will not accept certain warranties because they are not good. The only warranty I would ever purchase would be a factory one. Please do not spend another second thinking about this, many have said before me on this thread, run away, faster than a speeding bullittttttttttt

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Like they said, take some money and setup a monthly payment to yourself and earn some interest on it. You should do this anyways as a normal "emergency fund" which equals 3-6 months of income.

Can you still get a Ford ESP through a dealer? If so, that would be the only one I would consider. I bought a Ford plan only because I knew my car had the tranny issues and I needed to get it replaced. The warranty ended up paying for itself and a little more vs what I would have paid out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Serge: You are getting great advice here. If you still are thinking about doing this ask the company to give you some names and phone numbers of people in your area who have the warranty and who have filed claims so you can talk to them. I would be willing to bet they will not give you this type of information. Personally, I have absolutely no faith that you would benefit from buying this warranty.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
About a dozen people have spoken, believe them.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
rangerdoc said:
Can you still get a Ford ESP through a dealer? If so, that would be the only one I would consider. I bought a Ford plan only because I knew my car had the tranny issues and I needed to get it replaced. The warranty ended up paying for itself and a little more vs what I would have paid out of pocket.
Once the Ford factory warranty expires, you can't get the Ford ESP. The only warranty I would go for is the Ford ESP. I have the ESP on both my Sport Trac and Edge. I believe both were around $1,000 for the 6 year, 100,000 mile Premium Care. (most dealers will try to sell for over double that)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts