Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had there intake cleaned up yet?? I want to get mine done but I wanted to see if anyone has and if it was worth the money.I read alot of good things about our intakes once they were extrude honed but I don't know of anyone that has actually had it done, does anyone know of anyone???

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
im having mine done in pasadena for @500 bucks. was going to have it done a few weeks ago but my daughter had surgery and the car will allways wait behind my kids.. email me and ill give you my number and tell you about the place......

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
hey thanks for the concerns...she is doing ok. just had to get a kidney fixed..well know in a few weeks if it works out ok but we are pretty sure it will......thanxx again

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe some of us TX guys can get together and get a better deal on having some of them done at the same time. I would like to get the heads done too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm all for it.... let me know when/where.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey Crimecrusher, where in the austin area is there a place that would do this kinda work? i would really like to have mine done. next week i am on vacation and would love to have it done then. when are you looking to do yours? where in gtown are you? i live in north austin area, between 183 and parmer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I live in Georgetown off of Williams drive by the lake. About 3 miles west of IH-35. I will have to wait a little while to get my intake and heads done...I just bought a boat today (1995 19' bayliner). Besides we should wait till about 4-6k miles before porting and polishing. I'm only at 1550 now. Send me an email and we should hook up one day...I only seen one other Bullitt.
BTW, I entered a mustang show on the 4th of August at Capital plaza parking lot. You should enter too!

·
Registered
57 Posts
well i have about 6100miles on my car as of today, very much a daily driver, do you know of any places around this area that do this kinda work on the car or do you have to send it off somewhere ?

Have fun with the boat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I checked with extrude honed .com and they quoted $600 to do the intake if I sent it to them. Black sunshine in houston said he was getting his done for $500 in passadena. You should get a hold of him and send yours off too. The only hard part is taking off the intake. I did this on a 5.0L and you have to get new gaskets and a special tool to take off the fuel rails. I haven't spent much time looking to see just how bad it would be. When you get this done you will want to get a custom burned chip for around another $500 to tell the computer that the car wants to go faster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I talked to Steve at Houston Performance and he just got a new Bullitt intake in. He said he didn't think EH would be a good idea on this intake because of all the bends in it. He seems to think that putty may get stuck in the top of on of the runners in one of the bends where you can't see it and may not be able to get it off. He also said EH works better on straighter flowing pieces. Like our heads!

He did say he was going to dig into it this week and see what he could do as far as p&p. I'm supposed to call him back early next week to find out his results.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Here's a little something from Art Hyde from our discussion about the heads.

"... The head on your Bullitt (the "PI or Power Improved" head) is very comparable to the high-flow 4.6L 2V head in the Ford Racing catalogue. The next step up would be to go to the 4V block and head -- big bucks."

I've asked for info on other engine parts too. I'm hoping I can get him to send me an engine build sheet, so I won't have to keep nickel and diming him for info.

2000 VW Jetta TDI
1996 F250 Powerstroke

I love torque!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-07-19 23:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm not a professional mechanic, but I have always read/been told that extrude honeing was ment for curvy intakes. The putty can get where a custom port job can't reach. I would look for a second opinion.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The Extrudehone process performsa couple of functions. Number 1 and the most important is it smoothes the walls of the intake taking out all the rough casting surface and flash. Smooth walls equalbetter flow. Secod, it enlarges the ID slightly, again for improved flow capacity. An original example of the process was with 5.0 motors. An extrude honed stock intake flowed as well as a GT 40 tube mainfold. I netted 17 HP at the wheels with an extrude honed intake on my Talon with a stock turbo and same boost pressure in asame day side by side test. The process works and is especially benificial to forced inducton.

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts